1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Discussion in 'Rugby Discussion' started by RugbyReg, May 9, 2019.

1. Bobby Sands Ken Catchpole (46)

Re-watching the 2011 GF the other day, I don't think our current side matches up too badly, when you consider upside - and opposed to the much more tangible, exposed form.

Looking at the front row I think our current front row is both better now, and better on potential. Faainga is probably better on exposed form at this point, but honestly there isn't much in it.

Horwill picks himself, and I'd take Rodda over Simmonds.

In the backrow Higgers deserves it, but I feel dirty leaving Wilson out. Samu us a no brainer. Beau was immense, but Liam for me.

Genia. Quade. Digby. Next.

Our centres coming through at the minute are much better than back then, even though I really rate both Taps and Ant. Stewart and Jordan, or Hunter and Jordan could be truly immense.

Vunivalu is going to be a sensation next year, Speight is playing champagne, Sautia, Jock and plenty more in the cupboard.

Jock and Lucas to battle this out at the back, but truthfully I have no idea who takes this position long-term.

1. JP
    2. Mafi
    3. Tupou
    4. Rodda
    5. Horwill
    6. Higgers/Wilson
    7. Liam Wright
    8. Samu
    9. Genia
    10. Quade
    11. Digby
    12. Ant (but Stewart could eclipse)(Ant started at 13 as per wiki)
    13. Jordan/Hunter
    14. Speight/Sautia
    15. Jono based on his form that season, but Jock on potential.

7/15 aint bad. Green shoots are everywhere for Reds rugby.
    Hound likes this.
  2. RugbyReg George Smith (75)

Jono Lance "on form that season" is a big call. Many people forget that the GF was just his 4th match for the Reds.

We struggled for fullback. Hynes, Harris, Lucas, Morahan all played there before Jono got picked there for the 2nd last preliminary game of the season.

With Jock Campbell making the position his own this year I reckon he would get the combined gig and would suit that side perfectly (very Hynes like).

I'd also have Rocket Davies ahead of Speight / CFS. He was brilliant that year.

And I'd probably also lean to Daley and Faingaa in the front row ahead of Mafi and Smith. But that's a close run thing.
    The Nomad, Penguin and Ignoto like this.
  3. Adam84 Chilla Wilson (44)

Front row in 2011 played within a completely different game plan, they weren't great scrummagers but they were highly mobile and played like an extra set of loose forwards which suited the Reds high tempo game plan at the time. Greg Holmes wasn't the starting THP through 2011, came in just for the final and had one job, make sure the scrum was stable.

I find it difficult to pick a starting 15 in isolation without considering the broader game-plan since the 2011 and 2020 styles differ significantly, especially when discussing the Reds 2011 team which was coached so well. I would definitely take Ben Daley in the 2011 game plan, but prefer JP Smith in the 2020 version, likewise with Faingaa/Mafi. Tupou is a no brainer, once in a generation player that starts in either team.
  4. wamberal David Codey (61)

We watched it again. It was a well deserved win, nothing fortuitous about.
  5. dru Andrew Slack (58)

Just on that one game, I thought Simmo was fabulous. So much potential and so young. But he wouldn't take the slot over Rodda.

Definitely Finger over Mafi and Rocket over Speight.

Strangely I find myself wanting Stewart over Ant.

But most importantly the 2011 version had a habit of winning. And on that basis, when the emotion settled, I would go back to the 2011 team without any change at all. They were better by far. The 2020 version may have better potential, though this is to be proven.
    wamberal likes this.
  6. Jets Tony Shaw (54)

He played a trial game for GPS 1st Grade/Premier in 1995 during the Super League war with the ARL.
    Bobby Sands, HJ Nelson and Dctarget like this.
  7. RugbyReg George Smith (75)

I thought he and Wendell played a handful of club games that year? May have even been lower grade
  8. Bobby Sands Ken Catchpole (46)

I never rated Rod as a footballer, but he was a hell of a gas man.
    1 people like this.
  9. TSR Peter Johnson (47)

He and Cooper had a very good understanding.

Cooper, rightfully, received enormous kudos for his 2011 performance, but if you look at his connection with Davis specifically Rocket worked very hard off the ball to be in attacking positions and, when Cooper looked for the opportunity, there Davis would be.
  10. Micheal John Solomon (38)

In other news, Issy Perese avoided conviction for his drug supply charge. Snippets below.

--

Former Brisbane Bronco Izaia Jay Ali Perese, 22, today pleaded guilty to supplying a dangerous drug at Albion Creek last September.
    He also pleaded guilty to possessing $5600 obtained from the supply of drugs and possessing the pain killer Tramadol when police searched his Albion Creek home in February.
    Brisbane’s District Court heard Perese agreed to obtain significant amounts of cocaine and MDMA from a person who was the target of a police drug sting.
    Perese initially messaged the person, the boyfriend of a relative, to obtain cocaine for a friend.
    The person suggested over the messaging service WhatsApp to also supply Perese with MDMA along with the coke.
    Justice John Allen said subsequent conversations indicated Perese had supplied at least one of those drugs.
    “The man said he could supply Perese with 3.5 grams of cocaine for $1000 and two grams of MDMA for $500”.
    Perese also agreed to receive a $10,000 cash payment, of which $5600 was found by police, on behalf of the drug dealer.
    While the Crown argued there was a commercial element to Perese’s drug activity, his defence team disputed this saying there was no evidence of any profit made by their client.
  11. Finsbury Girl Vay Wilson (31)

Wendell played third grade for us - on the back oval. Fark it was funny - I can't remember who it was against maybe Easts? Basically for the half he played it was just pass it to big Dell who's run over about 5 blokes for an easy meat pie. Man v boys.

Brad played alongside Aaron for 1st grade.
    Jets and dru like this.
  12. Bobby Sands Ken Catchpole (46)

Albion Creek is a funny suburb name.
  13. Eyes and Ears Arch Winning (36)

Samo to be pedantic
  14. liquor box Ken Catchpole (46)

Anthony would be one of the first players I would select as I think his value to the team surpassed his skill level as a player. He was never flashy but was a good solid player that could always be relied upon. What I like is his organisational skills, it was hard to miss, unless you are deaf, he was always screaming out what was required and always appears to lead by example in defence. I have never met him, and never met anyone who played with him but he has always struck me as a great team man who makes a champion team as opposed to a team of champions.

That being said, I would have Stewart at 15 as I think he has similar qualities.

For me I would have the following team

1- JP Smith
    2- S Fainga'a
    3- T Tupou
    4- I Rodda
    5- J Horwill
    6- S Higginbotham
    7- L Gill
    8- H Wilson
    9- W Genia
    10- Q Cooper
    11- D Ioane
    12- H Paisami
    13- A Fainga'a
    14- R Davies
    15- H Stewart
    16 - J Hanson
    17 - G Holmes
    18 - L Wright
    19- L Salakaia-Loto
    20- B Daley
    21- B Tapuuai
    22- J O'Connor
    dru likes this.
  15. wamberal David Codey (61)

I would have JOC ahead of Rocket Rod.
  16. Brumby Runner Rod McCall (65)

Every day of the week.
  17. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

In this fantasy Reds team which I gather is a mash up of the 2011 team and 2020 team, surely if you're picking JOC it can't be as a 2011 winger because he wasn't at the Reds then. It has to be as the 2020 10 or 12.
    liquor box, Sully and RugbyReg like this.
  18. TSR Peter Johnson (47)

That’s my thinking too BH and it directly impacts some selections.

I don’t think Liam Gill could be included because he was only just starting out then. On the flip side Beau Robinson probably doesn’t make it on his form in any other year (although he was always pretty handy) but 2011 was a stand out year for him and I would have him still in front of Wright based on that.

Is JOC a better player than Rocket - yes. Was he a better winger in 2011 than Rod, absolutely - but not with the Reds. Would you pick the 2020 JOC on the wing in front of the 2011 Davis - no chance for mine.

The other one is fullback. Reg - I am loathe to pit my recollection against yours but I thought Lucas was a pretty regular selection at FB and offered a perfect foil to Cooper, playing FB in attack and defending in the front line in defence. He was a very good defender and his distribution on turnover ball was sound. He allowed McKenzie to maximise Coopers skills on the turnover and in kick return. It was a real shame when he got injured - although obviously not for Jonno Lance.
    The Nomad, Braveheart81 and RugbyReg like this.
  19. Bobby Sands Ken Catchpole (46)

In my version, when I wrote the post (things change) it was based on output as to that moment, and then comparing it to our current players both now and the future.

I hadn’t even considered Liam and how he might factor - but he’s one of my absolute favourites.
    dru and TSR like this.
  20. Up the Guts Tony Shaw (54)

Huge moves from Paisami and Wilson to get a pretty feasible look into a premiership winning team with half a Super season under their belts. Wish we still had footy on, Reds were going places.
    The Nomad, Hound, Bobby Sands and 2 others like this.