• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Hopefully there will be a decent competition in Australia for him to keep playing in!

At this current juncture, Australian rugby union could easily go the way of the UK Super League if they're not careful. Breeding ground for talent, but in the end the best players chase money and fame in other global competitions and we end up with all the old heads looking for some retirement funding to come and fill the empty spots.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
We wont even get the old heads coming for some retirement funding, they will go to France or Japan for that.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
So reds are doing a team of the decade vote on the FB page:

qld reds totd.jpg

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
My own personal one (assuming 2010-2019) :

1. Slipper
2. S.Fainga'a
3. Holmes
4. Simmons
5. Horwill (c)
6. Higginbotham
7. Gill
8. Samo
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Kerevi
13. A.Fainga'a
14. Davies
15. Lucas

16. Chibba
17. Daley
18. Thor
19. Rodda
20. Robinson
21. McDermott
22. Harris
23. CFS

And coaches for the hell of it:

HC: Link
Attack: Jim McKay
Defence: Matt Taylor
Forwards: Thorn, Stiles (set-piece)
S & C: Damien Marsh
Psych/strat: Chook Fowler

EDIT: switched Lucas for Lance

dru

Tim Horan (67)
My own personal one (assuming 2010-2019) :

1. Slipper
2. S.Fainga'a
3. Holmes
4. Simmons
5. Horwill (c)
6. Higginbotham
7. Gill
8. Samo
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Kerevi
13. A.Fainga'a
14. Davies
15. Lance

16. Chibba
17. Daley
18. Thor
19. Rodda
20. Robinson
21. McDermott
22. Harris
23. CFS

And coaches for the hell of it:

HC: Link
Attack: Jim McKay
Defence: Matt Taylor
Forwards: Thorn, Stiles (set-piece)
S & C: Damien Marsh
Psych/strat: Chook Fowler

Oh yeah.

B

Bobby Sands

Lucas and Petaia will like two brand spanking recruits next season, and they will both be starters.

I am a big fan of Stewart and think his best position will be 12, but if not 15. Plenty to offer.

I am also a big fan of Hegarty and think he will be a good 10 to help work with Lucas who will eventually inherit that spot. Hegarty will offer great utility and experience for a few more seasons.

Carter Gordon has also been pretty dominant in prems as an 18 year old 10. Bodes well.

A few more experienced heads like Speight can only be a good thing.

How we let go of both Ikitau and Noah, not to mention Pasitoa is literally bewildering.

Not a bad prediction, 12 months before he actually played there.

B

Bobby Sands

clearly you're struggling with isolation at the moment. But Stewart played 12 in NRC in 2017. 2 years before your 'prediction'.

Thanks for the correction, which game did he?

Even so, I think it will carry more water than your "direction of oz rugby" prediction.

Hope isolation isn't effecting your employment too much big fella. Chin up.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
You seriously think you are the only one who has traced his career since he was in high school? Your tone in these threads is really frustrating and I'd love for you to do what you do best and inform people about rugby instead of lecture them about your opinions and get into arguments

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Come on gents. Let’s focus on where the Reds are moving this year and into 2021. Any updates from anyone inside the camp with respect to return to training and the domestic comp. Reading a bit on the news feeds but the journos usually get it wrong.

BTW Bobby, love your passion AND your predictions. You’re never too far off the pace, but Hamish has played a handful of games at 12 over the past 5 years but not enough to say that was his ideal position, more so he was pushed out there because coaches saw more potential in other 10s.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I thought we stuck to Hamish too long at 10, but I stressed that our coaching didn’t have the ability to build a decent 10. Goes back to Jake. Hamish was always a tremendous rugby player looking for a position to call his own. I’ve said it before though he’s not a decent 10s A-hole.

OTOH, given a chance to settle at 12, his experience at 10 is nothing other than a complete strength.

I hated losing DP, but I’ve come around to Stewart. He’s already solid at pro level in basically any back position. 12 could be his.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Must also say I’m bloody glad we have Hamish at Brothers, probably at 12.
And with JOC (James O'Connor) that makes a handy 10/12 combination for the Brethren.

Not sure how much they will get to play in clubland if the domestic comp gets off the ground .

But with Thor , Wilso , Fraser , Woods , Stewart and JOC (James O'Connor) they would be unbackable if available come finals time.

Yours to lose RR !

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
I think we all agree that throughout last years NRC and thus far for QLD he has been bloody excellent @ 12.

We may not agree on this however I believe we have found our next long term centre partnership for both QLD and beyond (RWC 2023 ;) )