• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
And with JOC (James O'Connor) that makes a handy 10/12 combination for the Brethren.

Not sure how much they will get to play in clubland if the domestic comp gets off the ground .

But with Thor , Wilso , Fraser , Woods , Stewart and JOC (James O'Connor) they would be unbackable if available come finals time.

Yours to lose RR !

Actually in club rugby I would play Saifoloi (10), Stewart (12) and JOC (James O'Connor) (13).

Yeah, not a bad club team when the Reds players are available. Don’t forget young Flooky who was developing very nicely last year.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Just listening to the Reds Radio interview with another proud Queenslander Lukhan Salakai-Loto. Listening to him talk of how much he loves Qld reminds me of other great proud Qld players. Guys like Chris Latham & Greg Inglis.

Whatever else Thorn is doing wrong or right he seems to be turning out a great group of young men.

Edit: my comment above doesn’t do the interview justice. Well worth listening to.

https://shows.acast.com/reds-radio/episodes/episode-7-lukhan-salakaia-loto

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Not a bad prediction, 12 months before he actually played there.

I didn’t realise this was a thing now.... but some of these posts were up to 18months before yours.. credit goes to Sully for his early talent identification... or maybe Thorn for playing him there

Stewart was great at 12. Played like DP hard and straight.
Thought Hamish Stewart was very good and looks the goods. Bloke is certainly not afraid to take the ball into contact and at speed..
One of the best games I’ve seen Stewart play was at 12.
I think Stewart could be in the To'omua mold tough tackling 12.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Just listening to the Reds Radio interview with another proud Queenslander Lukhan Salakaia-Loto. Listening to him talk of how much he loves Qld reminds me of other great proud Qld players. Guys like Chris Latham & Greg Inglis.

Born in Auckland, VERY elastic border. :cool:

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Those were the days of merely elastic borders. Latham's border-bending precedent started this whole fiasco.

There is a fellow here in Mudgee who (so the story goes) was keeping Latham in 2nd grade at Narrabri and so he went off to play for Goondiwindi so he could get a 1st grade berth. Obviously that was pre-professional and before he played for the Tahs initially, but still his initial defection.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
^ Is the sort of yarn I'd be telling of a career in Narrabri firsts. :)

Got a feeling Latho might have stated playing in the big smoke, tho - emerald city - with no real rural rugby roots as such.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Waratahs did make Simmons their captain this year , so where you are from and how passionate about the “state” you are representing seems to be of little concern anymore.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Eddie Jones was on The Rugby Ruckus podcast this week. Some good tidbits in the podcast. Biggest thing from a Reds perspective is, he said that year at the Reds caused him to go away and completely change his coaching style/habits. He found it extremely difficult relating and coaching the young team. After that season he had to go away and essentially redefine how he communicated with the younger generation of players coming through.

Well worth it as there was a lot of other topics covered about Rugby globally and domestically.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Waratahs did make Simmons their captain this year , so where you are from and how passionate about the “state” you are representing seems to be of little concern anymore.

Except it isn't. This has been a core theme in QLD for a long while. Most recently, the preseason trials, QLD players going to the bush, NRC in regional QLD - all talking about representing QLD and the QLD rugby community and connecting with the rugby community around the state.

Brad Thorn in particular has been instrumental around this and it is a big factor in his rebuilding of the culture at Ballymore.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Except it isn't. This has been a core theme in QLD for a long while. Most recently, the preseason trials, QLD players going to the bush, NRC in regional QLD - all talking about representing QLD and the QLD rugby community and connecting with the rugby community around the state.

Brad Thorn in particular has been instrumental around this and it is a big factor in his rebuilding of the culture at Ballymore.

;)

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)

My post was more to point out if you can get a 100 cap Qlder as captain of the Tahs does it really mater where you were born?

Players buy into team culture , they are passionate about the group and what it stands for . This is what Thorn has done very well , his players have “bought in” .

The days of our Super Rugby teams being rep teams purely for the state they represent is long gone , BUT that doesn’t mean the players don’t feel loyalty and passion for the jersey they wear, the team mates they bust a gut for and the supporters that cheer for them . The Rebels wouldn’t exist otherwise.

Some teams just seem to have more of it than others and yes I agree Brad Thorn has been pivotal in bringing this team first culture back to the Reds .