• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Hockings skill level for a guy his size will be missed. If he wanted it enough , with his type of skill , he could be freaky - but still largely unproven.

Rodda ? Yeah. He's international class and for now he and Adam Coleman are the 2 x best Australian Locks (IMO)

But Issac Lucas ? Meh. Next ! Has some attacking skill but is a bench spark to try and punish tiring teams in broken field opportunity at the end of games. Not critical "must have". Sort of like a poor man's Damian McKenzie.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I certainly wouldn't go that far. They could easily be back at training within a week after agreeing to the new pay deal.

It seems unlikely that any of them would be trying to get out of their contracts to sign elsewhere so it seems more like a game of chicken that they lost but they haven't quite realised that yet.
I was thinking that too, especially when it came out they are getting legal advice. Certainly doesn’t imply they are walking, on the contrary it sounds like Picone is playing hardball (presumably his remuneration is leveraged to theirs) with their livelihoods and it’s gone pear shaped on him.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Hockings skill level for a guy his size will be missed. If he wanted it enough , with his type of skill , he could be freaky - but still largely unproven.

Rodda ? Yeah. He's international class and for now he and Adam Coleman are the 2 x best Australian Locks ( IMO )

But Issac Lucas ? Meh. Next ! Has some attacking skill but is a bench spark to try and punish tiring teams in broken field opportunity at the end of games. Not critical "must have". Sort of like a poor man's Damian McKenzie.
Meh - Coleman was barely the second best lock at the Rebels and clearly inferior to Rory Arnold.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Hockings potential is summarised by those ridiculous regathers from restarts he was performing at almost every Reds' kickoff by the last couple of matches. Surely he and our best lock aren't lost because of this stupid tiff.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Has Justin Harrison from RUPA made a comment on this yet? these are the times you see if people are real leaders, easy to lob in grenades via close contacts in the press. A little harder when you have to confront real issues.
Trying to get the wording right for Jessica Halloran's article to save her some time.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
@Derpus. Agree Coleman was off his peak but I take a view on him over the last 3 to 4 years ( at his still young age ) and not just the last 1 .

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I was thinking that too, especially when it came out they are getting legal advice. Certainly doesn’t imply they are walking, on the contrary it sounds like Picone is playing hardball (presumably his remuneration is leveraged to theirs) with their livelihoods and it’s gone pear shaped on him.

I can’t see how can be anything but to jump ship as hardly room to renegotiate what is on the table as agreed with RUPA and a much larger number of players who have accepted.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
@Derpus. Agree Coleman was off his peak but I take a view on him over the last 3 to 4 years ( at his still young age ) and not just the last 1 .

I'd suggest he hadn't played well since leaving the Force a few years ago..........

Maybe I'm being harsh, but he was possibly the 6th best performing lock in Australia last year.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I'd suggest he hadn't played well since leaving the Force a few years ago....

Maybe I'm being harsh, but he was possibly the 6th best performing lock in Australia last year.

Agree Coleman was very good for long time but yes last year agree was well down the pecking order

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I'd suggest he hadn't played well since leaving the Force a few years ago....

I do concede he had a down year in 2019. I still believe in his talent though and would be patient with him.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I can’t see how can be anything but to jump ship as hardly room to renegotiate what is on the table as agreed with RUPA and a much larger number of players who have accepted.
The story has changed throughout the day from going to Japan to now being an important part of Australia’s rugby future, and Johnson saying it’s hopefully going to be resolved quickly. The Australian has completely pulled its original story, presumably while they get clarification of what is actually going on.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
So 3 reds players with Anthony piccone as their manager - player agent - same one reds had issue with after kerevi business.

Piccone proving reds were justified to refuse to deal with him it seems.

Piccone a ‘interesting fellow’ and seemingly consistent.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
The Reds have said they won't be released from their contracts.

So wouldn't that mean the Reds have to honour the contracts? if they are not released, then they remain employees and should get their contracted pay.

The whole downturn in income and then job losses and wage looses intrigues me.

How does a TV deal work? Is the dollar figure calculated on a certain number of games being played and broadcast, or is it all games for a calendar period?

How are Rugby player contracts worked out, is it per game, per season or per calendar year?

I would love to see the players take a pay cut to assist the team, but I will always support a player getting as much money as he can in a short period of time as they are one training accident or game time injury from losing potentially millions in future earnings.

I know this will be an unpopular view, but if they signed a contract then they should expect it to be honoured. They are available for every Reds game played this season, what more can be asked from them. This is surely what they signed up for???

Getting the money is the Reds issue, they have a contract with RA, who have a contract with the broadcasters. Maybe the broadcasters should live up to their contracts too and this would not be an issue. Is there no insurance policies for broadcasters?

I think in the long term, they will be let go and paid off over a number of years by the Reds to avoid a legal fight and then play overseas.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Rather disappointing news, especially so from Lucas and Rodda.

Who knows wtf Hockings is thinking, he is off contract in November regardless

Reactions: dru

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Liquor Box, I believe there are clauses in contracts for exactly this kind of situation. I don't know how much leverage that allows, but it has been reported in the media that they are there.

I hear what you are saying about protecting your earnings, but this is not the way to go. Without everyone being in on the cuts, they don't work. If they don't work, RA presumably goes into administration and everyone loses out. I can't imagine contract negotiations going well in the current climate. If RA goes under, it would get flooded.