1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Discussion in 'Rugby Discussion' started by RugbyReg, May 9, 2019.

1. qwerty51 George Gregan (70)

Look I'm sure they've probably been briefed about a greener pasture and are more in the know than us but I can't see how there's potentially a more certain contract out there right now. Could be in a few months time when this thing is over but it's a massive gamble by them surely.

One thing that should be added is that Australia and New Zealand could be the only countries playing rugby for quite a while.
  2. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

Picone has urged RA to be more open to negotiating with terrorists.
  3. Brumby Runner John Eales (66)

And McDonald and Hooper too.
  4. PhilClinton Jim Clark (26)

The last lines of Picone's quote just reek of someone looking for bigger dollars overseas, using the SA world cup win as bait. "Let my players go and play for a squillion dollars in Japan, I'll buy a new Mercedes and you still select them for the Wallabies, deal?"
  5. Getwithme Cyril Towers (30)

This is the best
    Roberts Rugby and Garry Owens like this.
  6. barbarian Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Given the public backlash, I can't see many other players looking at Rodda and co and thinking 'man, I want to do that too'.
  7. barbarian Nick Farr-Jones (63)

My other question is where is RUPA on this? Justin Harrison has had a big media presence, and seemed to be one of the key players in the removal of Raelene Castle.

Surely this is something that the players union could have helped prevent. I don't have much knowledge of the inner workings of RUPA, but I haven't seen any involvement from them in all of this saga.
  8. Derpus Simon Poidevin (60)

^^^
    He'll let you know his thoughts as part of the review.
  9. drewprint Vay Wilson (31)

Pretty gutted. Rodda can get his wish and go and be captain of the NCC Communications Shining Arcs now I guess.
    Shaker, Silverado and Bobby Sands like this.
  10. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

It rained a fair bit in Sydney last night so the grass is certainly pretty green.

Just saying...
    qwerty51, Silverado, Ignoto and 2 others like this.
  11. Derpus Simon Poidevin (60)

Got knows we could use Rodda and Hockings. Not so fussed by Lucas. Seems like a poor mans DMac.
    Jimmy_Crouch likes this.
  12. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

Which would certainly put him in our best 23...
    Purce, Silverado, Getwithme and 2 others like this.
  13. Rebels3 Ken Catchpole (46)

Piccone sees this as an opportunity to be the big dog in the Australian market, for a new world where players move overseas.

As for the continued reporting of 60% pay cut, that’s only for a portion of the year as it currently stands, my understanding it’s only 25% if the salaries resumes to where they were in September. Australian rugby’s biggest issue is that it constantly has the rhetoric in the media incorrectly or deliberately explained wrong.
  14. upthereds#! Bob Davidson (42)

comment about referring to Rodda as Word XV standard.

If we had an open team, he'd be pushed be Australian XV.
  15. upthereds#! Bob Davidson (42)

Are they ACT based locks? Not familiar.
  16. PhilClinton Jim Clark (26)

We disagree on this obviously, but that's the beauty of an open forum.
  17. upthereds#! Bob Davidson (42)

AGREED. Also yes, if we are talking an Australian XV who are eligible then yes Rodda is a lock in for the lock spot.

BUT he has now cancelled his contract soooo technically not eligible anymore!

Australias eligible NO.1 Locking combination is now probably Phillips and LSL, backed up by Blyth and Neville.
    PhilClinton likes this.
  18. Ignoto Chilla Wilson (44)

Piccone should know that people aren't buying cars right now and the dealers are wanting to move whatever stock they have on hand or on ships. Never a better time to buy a Merc!
  19. Bobby Sands Banned

Ahh well, carry on..

Genuinely not that concerned about it.

Reeks of sour grapes, and Picone whispering delusions of grandeur in their ears.

QLD rugby has unfortunately become a Greek tragedy, but I really believe we have the cattle as both players and people to flush out this sort of stuff.

Catcha boys.
    Ignoto and Jimmy_Crouch like this.
  20. Dctarget Geoff Shaw (53)

What's in the water in Brisbane? Do I have a selective memory or has the Reds had an unnaturally high amount of players leave in unfavourable circumstances? QC, Gill, Slipper, Kerevi, one Smith twin, Rodda, Lucas, Hockings, there's more I know.
    Garry Owens and Getwithme like this.