• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
From a rugby perspective, the players will lack opportunities in Japan. I’m not 100% on the rules over there but I know there is a maximum amount of foreigners allowed on the field at once, it’s only around 2-3. So teams have 5/6 foreigners and their season is relatively short (only around 12-14 games). A guy like Lucas or Hockings could find themselves only playing a handful of games a year, which at this stage in their career wouldn’t be ideal for development. Don’t be surprised to see them rock up at something like Mitre 10 level and a Japanese contract in the same year just for the game time.

Hockings and Lucas haven't been capped at an international level so if my memory serves me right, they in theory won't take up a foreigners spot and could even play for Japan some time down the track.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This stood out to me in that article -

That said, their manager’s strained relationship with local rugby officials is well established, and underscored by a heated exchange in the QRU Boardroom last last year, where and when he mapped out his vision for the code in Queensland. It wasn’t particularly pretty.

Can anyone shine more light on this - i.e. any idea what his vision was and why an agent even got to present a vision to the board? Inviting the fox into the henhouse. I seem to remember some talk on this forum in the past about an agent who was a very close contact with a former QRU CEO or Chair of the board.. (. was it that the CEO or board member had been on the board of his management co - might be mistaken) .. I assume it's him? If it's been discussed at length apologies, a nod to which thread it's on would be great and I'll go searching.

The manager with the links to the Board would be Chris White.
Don't know about Picone's proposal but he has come out recently and said that it makes sense from a rugby perspective that RA just pick the Wallaby team from anywhere in the world (scrapping Giteau Clause). Which of course a money focused manager would want to happen.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Was wondering why this thread has gone quiet but now I see it's because everyone in Qld is either suffering from frostbite or wearing mittens hence cannot type. Hang in there, guys & gals, temps will soon be back in the 20's :).

Edit: Reg clearly made of sterner stuff or perhaps posting from his NT bolthole.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Problem is Dismal, I’m not sure that your content will garner the same following and media profile in Japan that you have cultivated here through GAGR.

In short - I think Cyclo has you by the balls and we all know how that ends.

Just take your 60% pay reduction and stay the course like the rest of us.
Ssshhhh. We're claiming JobKeeper for him. You gotta see what we listed him as doing.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Are you Murray Mexted?

IMG_0986.JPG

Geez, wasn't "synergistic" enough of a clue?

Edit: unlike certain parts of Straya, the hairdressers of NZ have been locked down for nine weeks so, yeah, things are getting hippy hereabouts.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
View attachment 11489

Geez, wasn't "synergistic" enough of a clue?

Edit: unlike certain parts of Straya, the hairdressers of NZ have been locked down for nine weeks so, yeah, things are getting hippy hereabouts.
Ah yes, Justin. Usually associated with "Boom-Fah". Could have sworn I heard Mex come out with some rubbish like that once. Amongst other rubbish he came up with.