• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Guess the fact they signed Mac means they are not looking for a #10.
Mac’s preferred position is 15 , but can play most outside back positions, he is more a ball runner than a ball player.

We need a 15 more than a 10 with Lucas going. At 10 you've got JOC (James O'Connor), Bryce, Stewart and Carter Gordon coming through at 10. At 15 we have Campbell, Bryce and I can't remember how much Hardy has played at 15 along with Vunivalu coming in next year.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
So aside from the fact they've definitely left the Reds - do we have confirmation of where they are going? The chat about them going to another franchise seems to have died down, I thought if that was the case they'd have reengaged talks with RA.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
All that's happened is that they have been terminated by RA, and it looks like they aren't going to entertain the idea of any of them turning up at another franchise. There hasn't been any confirmation of where they are going to commence their anonymous careers, no-one would be in any hurry to sign in the current environment.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I mentioned this on social media, but they should jump at a Force contract for the rest of the year. There is no player cuts there, the Force would be desperate for quality players considering they will be playing the Super Rugby teams. It even means they remain Wallaby eligible if things get desperate.

Then they can go to Japan when the season re-starts

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I mentioned this on social media, but they should jump at a Force contract for the rest of the year. There is no player cuts there, the Force would be desperate for quality players considering they will be playing the Super Rugby teams. It even means they remain Wallaby eligible if things get desperate.

Then they can go to Japan when the season re-starts

I feel like we're stuck in a time loop if that happens, I think I've seen this story before... Wallaby second rower defecting from the Reds and joining the Force, along with a handful of other Reds players.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
^Not for me Reg

Both first year out of school, Dion got the nod ahead of Mac in the Aussie U18's last year ( and Reds as well ) , but Mac was starting at 15 in Prems for UQ in the preseason this year and killing it. Was very impressive in the few games played.

Pretty sure Dion was mostly still playing Colts

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
The Geoff Parkes article is probably the best rugby piece I have read in a while. Offers a nice balance to the Giteau law debate and the possible reason why/why not the players decided to leave.
theroar.com.au/2020/05/25/the-wrap-giteaus-law-must-survive-but-with-a-twist/

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The Geoff Parkes article is probably the best rugby piece I have read in a while. Offers a nice balance to the Giteau law debate and the possible reason why/why not the players decided to leave.
theroar.com.au/2020/05/25/the-wrap-giteaus-law-must-survive-but-with-a-twist/

Good read. It does reinforce a question I've had - where do these blokes think they're getting paid from now? Is Japanese rugby that rich they can afford to start paying these blokes this week with no assurances on when the season will start?

Picone made a big deal about 'players livelihood, not wanting to be stood down etc etc, but unless I'm missing something they're currently unemployed and would have no money coming in.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Japan season is not expected to start until January with players not anticipated to be needed until November.

Makes this decision a little more curious? And perhaps the Force idea a little more sensible?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Japanese rugby is a completely different beast where their funding Isn’t entirely based on sponsorship and broadcast rights like Australian teams, in the short run their revenue stream may not be as heavily impacted by the impact of coronavirus. However, depending how this all plays out in the long run, those corporations own the teams may look to cut funding somewhere.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The Japan season is not expected to start until January with players not anticipated to be needed until November.

Makes this decision a little more curious? And perhaps the Force idea a little more sensible?

I’d take those dates with a grain of salt, the Tokyo Olympics postponement has thrown those plans into disarray. I think the season start date will be brought forward and the new competition delayed until 2022.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Regardless of the start date of the Japanese comp - it likely won't be in the next few months by the sounds. Would an employer hire someone to start working in a couple months but start paying their salary from the signing date anyway? If these clubs have the funds, maybe they will. Otherwise Reg as you say there may have to be another option onshore they can take up.