• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It would be good to know the QLD and NSW breakdown.
I wondered that too, presumably the context of the article was something around the dominance of Qld/NSW in the Wallabies, and/or the lack of players from other origins. It would be pretty close to 50/50, I went through an exercise during Covid where I traced the Origin of the players of all 4 franchises (Force weren’t involved at the time). I’ve shut my computer for the night, will report the tally in the morning

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Bit of a cycle though ain't it. If you're developing well in Melbourne as a kid, you want the best for yourself so you goto QLD and get signed on some nice, fancy scholarship not on offer in Vic. Then suddenly you're being claimed as a QLDer.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I guess it's a pretty individual thing. Some guys might come for two years and consider themselves a local, others may have done all their high schooling here and still consider themselves from NSW. Like it's bee said before, being a Queenslander is a state of mind.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
These were all the players listed on the franchises’ websites at the time, and Origin was defined as where they played their first rugby game aged 16+.

NSW - 67
Qld - 50
ACT - 14
O/S - 12
Vic - 11
WA - 10
Good job. It would be great to know how these ‘origin’ players are distributed ??

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
These were all the players listed on the franchises’ websites at the time, and Origin was defined as where they played their first rugby game aged 16+.

NSW - 67
Qld - 50
ACT - 14
O/S - 12
Vic - 11
WA - 10

Highlights to me the value of having a sound rugby presence in all those states (and territories) to keep developing the talent coming out of those regions. Don't necessarily want players to always feel like they have to go to NSW/QLD (or O/S) to further their career. I know Twiggy has been going a little hard at the Rebels, but I can still see some value in keeping a team down there even if it is AFL heartland.

Anyway, circling back to my original comment as this is a Red discussion, it doesn't seem like you can say QLD breed more top talent that people are poaching. Looks like NSW has equal if not slightly more claim to that statement (though you likely can still slice the numbers one way or the other depending on your criteria).

For the health of the game you'd ideally want to see the numbers for the other states increasing over time.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Good job. It would be great to know how these ‘origin’ players are distributed ??
I just realised my manual count had any error and there are 57 NSW origin players (not 67) contracted to Aussie super franchises v. Qld's 50.

For Qld Origin players:
Reds - 32
Brumbies - 9
Rebels - 5
Waratahs - 4

It won't surprise anyone but Qld's player retention is better than NSW's:
Waratahs - 28
Rebels - 15
Brumbies - 12
Reds - 2

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I just realised my manual count had any error and there are 57 NSW origin players (not 67) contracted to Aussie super franchises v. Qld's 50.

For Qld Origin players:
Reds - 32
Brumbies - 9
Rebels - 5
Waratahs - 4

It won't surprise anyone but Qld's player retention is better than NSW's:
Waratahs - 28
Rebels - 15
Brumbies - 12
Reds - 2

With another major franchise 3hrs down the road, it's a little easier for any NSW player to make that move.

Seems a fair few Qlder's over in the Force, be curious what that looks like in the numbers.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
With another major franchise 3hrs down the road, it's a little easier for any NSW player to make that move.

Stats don't seem to support that though, QLD and NSW have a similar number of players at the Brumbies, conversely it's the Rebels who have the highest number of NSW players outside of Sydney and where the NSW/QLD stats deviate from each other.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

Seems a fair few Qlder's over in the Force, be curious what that looks like in the numbers.
If I get a chance over the weekend I’ll go through the Force roster and update the stats.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Bringing it back to the Reds.

Does anyone know where I could grab a long sleeved supporters 'traditional' jersey from? They're the old canto styled jerseys which are fantastic in winter.

Seems both the Reds store + manufacturer are out of stock!

drewprint

Colin Windon (37)
Bringing it back to the Reds.

Does anyone know where I could grab a long sleeved supporters 'traditional' jersey from? They're the old canto styled jerseys which are fantastic in winter.

Seems both the Reds store + manufacturer are out of stock!

I bought one a few months ago and it’s brilliant. I’m having a look now but yeah looks like they are all out of stock. I saw a fair few at the game on Friday night so they’re def popular - they need to do another run on them!