• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
It was interesting to hear that Genia had been doing a bit of work with McDermott and rated him as the form 9 in Australia atm.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Thoroughly enjoyed this article by Nick Bishop at the Roar.

In essence, losing Rodda and Hockings (and Lucas) has forced changes that hacve created a much more balanced back 5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) better suited to the row, Wright's work in the line out being used, freeing up Wilson in his attacking and defensive roles.

IT seems ridiculous, but perhaps we might be a better pack now.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Thoroughly enjoyed this article by Nick Bishop at the Roar.

In essence, losing Rodda and Hockings (and Lucas) has forced changes that hacve created a much more balanced back 5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) better suited to the row, Wright's work in the line out being used, freeing up Wilson in his attacking and defensive roles.

IT seems ridiculous, but perhaps we might be a better pack now.

To me it's losing BOTH - but mainly Rodda. Rodda is better then Blyth to start with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), and Blyth would be good off the bench. Then Hockings > Tualima/Smith

So depth is affected but Rodda starting is the biggest loss - this would have been my ideal having seen the 'new' pack play.

4. Rodda 5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Wright 8. Wilson 7. Mcreight

19. Blyth 20. ASY (Angus Scott-Young)

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Rodda was a huge loss.

Hockings apart from been tall, i have never watched him and though wow what a player he will be. Actually was more impressed with Blyth earlier in the year.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Agree on the sentiment. Many people were calling for LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) to play lock and for McReight and Wright to play on the side together. Thorn's stubbornness was forced to change with the departure of the Picone 3. A real shame.

As for Hockings. He's a freak. A better player than Blyth for sure, although he was off his game this year. Anyway, not relevant anymore now.

B

Bobby Sands

Agree on the sentiment. Many people were calling for LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) to play lock and for McReight and Wright to play on the side together. Thorn's stubbornness was forced to change with the departure of the Picone 3. A real shame.

As for Hockings. He's a freak. A better player than Blyth for sure, although he was off his game this year. Anyway, not relevant anymore now.

Agree times plenty to the top bit.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I've noticed a bit of a change in Thorn's coaching since the return to play. Was very reluctant to put the bench players on previously but is now giving a few some good game time. Will build some depth in the squad and something that the Kiwi teams are good at. The only guy who hasn't had game time is Nasser and he probably needs to play out a season or two in Premier rugby to develop more as a scrummager.

B

Bobby Sands

I've noticed a bit of a change in Thorn's coaching since the return to play. Was very reluctant to put the bench players on previously but is now giving a few some good game time. Will build some depth in the squad and something that the Kiwi teams are good at. The only guy who hasn't had game time is Nasser and he probably needs to play out a season or two in Premier rugby to develop more as a scrummager.

Agree, but it's so hard to know where he is at.

In my humble opinion, blokes that make it never look completely out of their depth - no matter how young.

Nasser looks out of his depth, but let's see what happens.

Also, Vella and Nongorr behind him are pretty strong prospects.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)

Its probably a blessing for Hockings in terms of his long term future. I had two very sour encounters with him over the past few years since he was regular in the Reds side. And have heard of several other incidents.

I've been around plenty of young blokes who love a drink and all that, but the stuff I witnessed was next level, in public. Hopefully getting out of Brisbane clears his head a bit, it seems to do well with other blokes.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
^Have no idea about any off field stuff , but his on field behaviour seems fine.

His "freakish" ability stems from his hand eye coordination, catch -pass skills and aerial ability are indeed freakish for the long lanky fella he is.

Anyone who saw his MOTM performance in last year's QPR GF would know what I mean.

From a Super rugby perspective , he needs a few extra kilos and to work on his accuracy at the breakdown , the rest is already there.

Hopefully will come back a more complete package both on and off the field.

B

Bobby Sands

^Have no idea about any off field stuff , but his on field behaviour seems fine.

His "freakish" ability stems from his hand eye coordination, catch -pass skills and aerial ability are indeed freakish for the long lanky fella he is.

Anyone who saw his MOTM performance in last year's QPR GF would know what I mean.

From a Super rugby perspective , he needs a few extra kilos and to work on his accuracy at the breakdown , the rest is already there.

His brother Tom was a pretty good lock for the Western Force, and a seriously smart bloke.

They have about 6 brothers in the one family, a very talented bunch.

For all the one handed lineout takes, and "good-blokeness", he can't clean out - and let's be honest, that's all that matters.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Agreed, the guy had a level of coordination and aerial ability beyond that of the other locks, another year or two growing into his body and putting on the necessary kilos and he would have been an exceptional lock, whether there was room for 4 quality locks in the Reds system is debateable, but losing both Rodda and Hockings was a massive loss

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
what an odd statement though, its like she wasn't even sure if the state govt has committed money, I wonder if she jumped the gun and said that before its properly been announced

Seems to be how the Qld Government ministers work, just do whatever you want.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
what an odd statement though, its like she wasn't even sure if the state govt has committed money, I wonder if she jumped the gun and said that before its properly been announced

Both parties are gearing up for the election so you'll see the big announcements hitting the papers.

Reading through the announcement, how the hell is it going to be able to hold a hockey game there? Don't they use a hard surface/fake turf?

Also, do the seats still have the lifetime members names on them or is my childhood memory hazy?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
His contract runs through til end of 2022. One of the RA strategies is to honour the best/top 20 or more contracts PLUS the contracts of the young talent (which are supported by 3rd parties)- with the 'middle tier' being the ones who have question marks next to their contracts and the value of their next offers.

I can see Petaias contract being safe, so unless he REALLY REALLY wants to leave and RA and Reds let him, I think this is and will remain just a headline