• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I was being facetious, we need an emoji for that.

Trying to make a point about the planning (or lack there of) of the team, especially around the 10.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I was being facetious, we need an emoji for that.

Trying to make a point about the planning (or lack there of) of the team, especially around the 10.

Gotchya Jets

Think the 10 position comes down to what happens with Hegarty. If he’s resigned and wants to play the position then it will be his.
If his resigned but wants to play fullback then there will be some planning involved at 10.

Hegarty starting season as fullback switch to 10 and then switch back to fullback leaves a lot of question marks about pinpointing our plans. Think the last switch this season came because Thorn prompted McGahan. Probably speaks more to Hegarty versatility.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
It's pretty much what I expected him to say and it stacks up for me. The stance taken with James and K was understandable at the time, even if I didn't necessarily agree with the entirety of it. The situation with James O'Connor is plainly different and I don't think it's hypocrisy or a double standard, again, even if I don't necessarily agree with signing him.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It's pretty much what I expected him to say and it stacks up for me. The stance taken with James and K was understandable at the time, even if I didn't necessarily agree with the entirety of it. The situation with James O'Connor is plainly different and I don't think it's hypocrisy or a double standard, again, even if I don't necessarily agree with signing him.

It is a double standard - but I'm going to run with it. Elements of how he handled Slips and KH were imo errors. I see it as evidence of a possible waning on the moral crusade, and focusing on the role of HC. A maturing of his approach to HC. Works for me.

What he said he had to say, the approach was obvious. I'm glad he has done it, early, move back to the day job.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It is a double standard

How so?

You are suggesting that if the same discipline stance applied to contracted players within the team is not applied across the entirety of a prospective player's career then it is inconsistent. I disagree completely.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
How so?

You are suggesting that if the same discipline stance applied to contracted players within the team is not applied across the entirety of a prospective player's career then it is inconsistent. I disagree completely.

BH I'm happy for you to hold your opinion. IMO opinion Brad's stance went beyond that.

I'm quite OK with his current position. It's just different imo to where he started.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Well in the very least I think James will be under no illusion about what is expected both on and off the field.

I still don't agree with the decision however I will give him the benefit of the doubt for now. He is saying the right things, I hope he puts his words into action.

Due to the unknown factor, it would make sense that Brad still gives plenty of game time to other squad members vying for inside centre.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hunt and Slipper both had two drug offences while contracted to the Reds. While K’s first happened at the Suns it all came to light while he was at the Reds.

JOC (James O'Connor) had one incident two years ago in France. I don’t see any double standards.

I am comfortable with Thorn’s stance on this matter. I’m by no means sold on JOC (James O'Connor)’s signing as an asset to the team, but that’s different to the drug stuff.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
You would think JOC (James O'Connor)'s contract would be stacked with clauses that spell out very clearly the cultural and behavioural expectations of his new employers. He will know where he stands and the consequences of poor choices. Discretion you would hope, wouldn't even come into it.

When you combine that with RA paying the bulk if not all of his wage, the Reds don't have a lot to lose, other than dignity if it all goes pear shaped.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
You would think JOC (James O'Connor)'s contract would be stacked with clauses that spell out very clearly the cultural and behavioural expectations of his new employers. He will know where he stands and the consequences of poor choices. Discretion you wouldn't hope will even come into it.

When you combine that with RA paying the bulk if not all of his wage, the Reds don't have a lot to lose, other than dignity if it all goes pear shaped.
It is: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...n-o-connor-s-ra-contract-20190716-p527rk.html

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Hunt and Slipper both had two drug offences while contracted to the Reds. While K’s first happened at the Suns it all came to light while he was at the Reds.

JOC (James O'Connor) had one incident two years ago in France. I don’t see any double standards.

I am comfortable with Thorn’s stance on this matter. I’m by no means sold on JOC (James O'Connor)’s signing as an asset to the team, but that’s different to the drug stuff.

Exactly. If in a couple of years time, say Slipper wanted to come back to the Reds, I would imagine Thorn (if he's still there) would have a similar chat to him that he did with JOC (James O'Connor) and if he was convinced he's got the right attitude moving forward then a contract back at the Reds wouldn't be out of the question.