• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I don't see what is inconsistent about the approach. There's a substantial difference between having a zero tolerance culture at the club to the issue versus giving someone a second chance who offended elsewhere.

Regardless I think most would be happy to have James O'Connor on all the reports and references given by Sale Coach, and Matt Giteau and Drew Mitchell during their time with him at Toulon. Any reds unhappy with James O'Conner - I think the Tahs would be very happy to take him off your hands.

Personally think all a bit overdone on James O'Conner as his past crimes and given time in the past, his age etc means all a bit overblown for talent that is in short supply.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
I am having trouble taking all this at face value...........

It does have the sniff of excrement about it. I think in particular the way Slipper was treated was poor, given he was clearly having trouble dealing with his grief and his employer's response was to unceremoniously boot him out of the club he'd served so well and for so long. For Thorn to use the justification for his treatment of Slipper (whom he strangely avoids mentioning by name in this interview) that he could have a corrupting influence on younger players, while bringing in O'Connor; a player with a proven record of leading young players astray..... well it all just strikes me as a bit mealy-mouthed and unconvincing.

I suspect the more honest answer is that he's coming to grips with the realisation that he's running a professional rugby team, not a bible study, and needs to make sensible, informed decisions accordingly. Long may it continue.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
It does have the sniff of excrement about it. I think in particular the way Slipper was treated was poor, given he was clearly having trouble dealing with his grief and his employer's response was to unceremoniously boot him out of the club he'd served so well and for so long. For Thorn to use the justification for his treatment of Slipper (whom he strangely avoids mentioning by name in this interview) that he could have a corrupting influence on younger players, while bringing in O'Connor; a player with a proven record of leading young players astray... well it all just strikes me as a bit mealy-mouthed and unconvincing.

I suspect the more honest answer is that he's coming to grips with the realisation that he's running a professional rugby team, not a bible study, and needs to make sensible, informed decisions accordingly. Long may it continue.

I've said it in another thread but Thorn's line in the sand was two years ago. At some point you need to trust the culture you have developed.

B

Bobby Sands

"Bryce Hegarty's inclusion for GPS was timely, with the playmaker scoring a long-range try and slotting four conversions in the Gallopers' 43-36 win over competition leaders Brothers."

This is good.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I know you cant really read into the positions of where players playing at club level, but interesting to see Stewart at 12 and Lucas/Daugunu/Campbell at 15. Just a few positions/players from the last two weekends:

Number 8
Harry Wilson

Fly-half:
Bryce Hegarty

Inside Centre
Hamish Stewart

Fullback:
Jock Campbell
Filipo Daugunu
Isaac Lucas

I think its a fair bet that Hegarty is going to be playing for the Reds again in 2020 if he is still pulling on the socks for GPS now, also Campbell Magnay, didn't really rate his performance for the Rebels in 2019 but if he is back playing QPR does that mean he is in for a contract with the Reds for 2020?

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Stewart @ 12 is certainly interesting. He played his best footy @ fullback this year & Hegarty played better @ 10 than 15 by a country mile.

Jock is a definitely a winger but I gather he's played a lot of fullback for Uni. With Lucas I reckon it's good he can slot in at 15 or 10, a great bench option next year but I hope he covers more at 5/8th than fullback.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
It does have the sniff of excrement about it. I think in particular the way Slipper was treated was poor, given he was clearly having trouble dealing with his grief and his employer's response was to unceremoniously boot him out of the club he'd served so well and for so long. For Thorn to use the justification for his treatment of Slipper (whom he strangely avoids mentioning by name in this interview) that he could have a corrupting influence on younger players, while bringing in O'Connor; a player with a proven record of leading young players astray... well it all just strikes me as a bit mealy-mouthed and unconvincing.

Yeh in general terms the 2 strikes you are out for me is fair enough eg hunt but given extenuating circumstances for slipper I think the way he was not given any leniency in view of this stinks personally...but one must move on.. I have...and still think out of lack of many pro coaches banging down the door to coach oz super rugby sides thorn is solid option for the reds with his assistants.

B

Bobby Sands

Hamish seems a natural 12 to me, definitely not a long term 15.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Hamish seems a natural 12 to me, definitely not a long term 15.

Hamish has proven to be a very talented rugby player but without a combination of right size and natural skillset to suit any particular slot in the backs. He wont be a Kerevi style 12 and the days of 12 being "second fly" seem numbered. I hope they work it out because he is a huge talent.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Hamish has proven to be a very talented rugby player but without a combination of right size and natural skillset to suit any particular slot in the backs. He wont be a Kerevi style 12 and the days of 12 being "second fly" seem numbered. I hope they work it out because he is a huge talent.
I dont see this as true, the play making can come there, but you must be sound defensively e.g. To'omua, what you can't be really is a a turnstile in the middle, those days are gone. Although Beale makes a fist of it at the Tah's

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I dont see this as true, the play making can come there, but you must be sound defensively e.g. To'omua, what you can't be really is a a turnstile in the middle, those days are gone. Although Beale makes a fist of it at the Tah's

I dont think we are seeing a lot of second flies in Aus, and internationally for that point. FWIW Hamish is very decent in D.

I'm not sure that Thorn is ready to coach a second playmaker, he seems the big bopper centre type to me. I'd be pleased to be proven wrong but he missed the chance with DP. Petaia outside of Stewart in the centers actually sounds quite intriguing.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Petaia looked to line up at fullback last week for Wests.

It was hard to tell though because Souths had no interest kicking for territory. I can def tell you he was a outside back.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I dont think we are seeing a lot of second flies in Aus, and internationally for that point. FWIW Hamish is very decent in D.

I'm not sure that Thorn is ready to coach a second playmaker, he seems the big bopper centre type to me. I'd be pleased to be proven wrong but he missed the chance with DP. Petaia outside of Stewart in the centers actually sounds quite intriguing.

I guess you will find out early next season as you have JOC (James O'Connor), who I think will start as your 12. He could be something special or could be bust.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Stewart back at 10 could also be an option - he reminds me a bit of Berrick Barnes without the excessive aimless kicking. He didn't really make things work with Kerevi as he's not much of a distributor but with O'Connor sharing playmaking duties he could be very effective.

He'd really help shore up midfield defence too and help keep the attack nice and direct.

9. McDermott/Sorovi
10. Stewart
11. Campbell?
12. OÇonnor
13. Petaia
14. Daugunu
15. Lucas

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think Hegarty will be starting 10 in 2020.
I’ve watched the last few QPR games, and Lucas has struggled at 15 in a pretty dire Sunnybank team.

B

Bobby Sands

I think Hegarty will be starting 10 in 2020.
I’ve watched the last few QPR games, and Lucas has struggled at 15 in a pretty dire Sunnybank team.

What game was this? Lucas was electric against Bond on the weekend.

Wihongi also caught the eye, and Matt Dalton scored two good running tries for a lock.