• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I know it was mentioned on the NRC thread but what has happened to Gicquel? I personally prefer him over Kibble and he's missed out on NRC spot and a Reds training spot. Surely that means he has gone overseas or elsewhere?

he is an excellent player and I hope he turns up somewhere (local). Is he fit? That's the big question before we started talking consiracies. I know there was some angst around Dalgleish not getting an NRC spot and it turns out he's injured.

B

Bobby Sands

he is an excellent player and I hope he turns up somewhere (local). Is he fit? That's the big question before we started talking consiracies. I know there was some angst around Dalgleish not getting an NRC spot and it turns out he's injured.

I comment from a very uninformed place, however to me he is just not as highly thought of?

He’s competing against Wright, McReight & Kibble who are all younger and far more physically developed.

I think he has tremendous scope for improvement especially considering his pathway has been essentially Bush footy until recently but I would pick the other three before him easily. I also thought he was manhandled in the NRC last year.

B

Bobby Sands

Seru Uru is a very interesting one for me.

23-24 lock/backrower who has had very limited professional development. In line with the development of Isa and Jale Vakaloloma and the Fiji amateur side winning the the professional clubs around the world are starting to realise that Fiji might be the most fertile ground for rugby talent anywhere.

Seru seems about 10kgs underdeveloped but clearly he has impressed the right people to walk straight into the Reds senior side. He offers a different set of skills to ASY (Angus Scott-Young), Wright, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Wilson who he will potentially be competing with for the 6/8 spot in time (ie maybe not in 2020).

I applaud this selection, just based on gut, because I think he offers unique output and potentially has a higher ceiling based on the pathway he has come through. Will be watching with interest.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
So...

2. Mafi
3. Thor
4. Rodda
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)/Hockings
6. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)/Wilson
7. McReight?
8. Wilson?

9. Sorovi/McDermott
10. Stewart (he's too slow for 15 and with Beiber at 12 there's plenty of quality there)
11. Daugunu
12. Beiber
13. Petaia
14. Speight
15. Lucas

?

That's some serious quality if they click

Reactions: dru

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
After announcing a raft of long-term signings in the past fortnight, making their home-grown strategy clear, the Reds have also handed chances to a handful of youngsters for 2020, including Sean Farrell, Carter Gordon, Tom Kibble and Junior Wallabies Josh Nasser and Michael Wood

Not among them is halfback James Tuttle, who has been cut after rupturing his achilles twice in the past 18 months, with Scott Malolua, who made his Super Rugby debut last season, getting the nod to join Moses Sorovi in the battle to back up Wallaby-in-waiting Tate McDermott.

The Reds have signed just three players from "outside the tent", adding experience with O'Connor and former Brumby and Wallabies winger Henry Speight, while Fijian back-rower Seru Uru has been signed until 2021 after an impressive season with Easts in Queensland Premier Rugby

Forwards: Angus Blyth (Bon University), Sean Farrell (souths), Feao Fotuaika (Souths), Harry Hockings (University of Queensland), Harry Hoopert (Brothers), Tom Kibble (GPS), Alex Mafi (Bond Uni), Fraser McReight (Brothers), Josh Nasser (UQ), Brandon Paenga-Amosa (Sunnybank), Izack Roddda (Easts), Lukhan Salakaia-Loto (Souths), Angus Scott-Young (UQ), JP Smith (GPS), Ruan Smith (GPS), Taniela Tupou (Brothers), Seru Uru (Easts), Harry Wilson (Brothers), Michael Wood (Brothers), Liam Wright (Easts).

Backs: Jock Campbell (UQ), Filipo Daugunu (Wests), Chris Feauai-Sautia (Souths), Carter Gordon (Wests), Jack Hardy (Easts), Bryce Hegarty (GPS), isaac Lucas (Sunnybank), Scott Malolua (Souths), Tate McDermott (UQ), James O'Connor (Brothers), Jordan Petaia (Wests), Moses Sorovi (Wests), Henry Speight (TBC), Hamish Stewart (Bond).

www.rugby.com.au:443/News/2019/08/27/super-rugby-reds-squad-2020

As much as I love Kerevi, I hold no hard feelings for him leaving, Tuttle is a great example of how things outside of your control can effect your ability to earn money to set you up for life, if the money is offered then you take it, you are only one sprint or head knock away from losing your livelihood.

That being said, I think Tuttle will play Super Rugby again, maybe not in red but by 2021 he will have a spot, he always seemed determined and I think he will make it.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
So.

2. Mafi
3. Thor
4. Rodda
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)/Hockings
6. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)/Wilson
7. McReight?
8. Wilson?

9. Sorovi/McDermott
10. Stewart (he's too slow for 15 and with Beiber at 12 there's plenty of quality there)
11. Daugunu
12. Beiber
13. Petaia
14. Speight
15. Lucas

That's some serious quality if they click

nobody is pencilling of McDermott ahead of Sorovi. Tate who was a shock World Cup omission. (If jerseys are given out on super rugby form)

Also no way Harry/Fraser are starting ahead of Liam Wright.

Wilson/McReight are nice prospect but they will have work cut out for them stealing backrowers job from all that backrower depth the Reds have. I have McReight a slightly better prospect then Wilson. Harry is taller but McReight is a faster & stronger ball runner.

My Backrow is going to be
6. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
7 & 8. McReight/Wright.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Yeah couldn't remember all the backrowers, which can only be a good thing.

Backline looks spicy, and a rock solid tight five. Good signs.

B

Bobby Sands

1. Hoopert
2. Mafi
3. Tupou
4. Rodda
5. Lukhan
6. Wright
7. McReight
8. Wilson

9. Tate
10. Hegarty
11. Daugunu
12. JOC (James O'Connor)
13. Jordan
14. Speight
15. Lucas

16. BPA
17. Smith
18. Smith
19. Hockings
20. ASY (Angus Scott-Young)
21. Moses
22. Stewart
23. Campbell

B

Bobby Sands

2ndXV

1. Feao
2. Farrell
3. Nasser
4. Blythe
5. Wood
6. Jerry Lynch (WTS Unofficial)
7. Kibble
8. Uru

9. Scott Maloula
10. Carter Gordon
11. Jack Hardy
12. Isaac Henry (WTS Unofficial)
13. Sautia
14. Collins
15. Creighton

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
See how these young players go through the NRC, I think McReight might be up to starting in Super Rugby for 2020, but I think Wilson needs a bit more work on the technical aspects of the game around like rucks, mauls and set-piece which he still looks pretty average at. I’d back ASY (Angus Scott-Young) to start over Wilson.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Hmm. The "Qld best defender" award winner from Assistant coach Peter Ryan dropped from the starting XV, I don't think so.

Some peeps recognise the need for "toughness and tireless work ethic"

dru

Tim Horan (67)
1. Hoopert
2. Mafi
3. Tupou
4. Rodda
5. Lukhan
6. Wright
7. McReight
8. Wilson

9. Tate
10. Hegarty
11. Daugunu
12. JOC (James O'Connor)
13. Jordan
14. Speight
15. Lucas

16. BPA
17. Smith
18. Smith
19. Hockings
20. ASY (Angus Scott-Young)
21. Moses
22. Stewart
23. Campbell

I dropped membership a couple of years back. Travelling from Sydney to a few games ended up not too much fun. I return to Brisbane next year. I’m loving the way the Reds are shaping up. Always thought some of the expectations of Thorn were OTT but hopefully what I might call his apprentice years are done. The place has a vibe that feels like the run in to the Link era.

I’m in. Let’s go Reds. Got to like that play group.

PS a little sad for Korczyk. Hope he has other plans. Farewell bloke.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I dropped membership a couple of years back. Travelling from Sydney to a few games ended up not too much fun. I return to Brisbane next year. I’m loving the way the Reds are shaping up. Always thought some of the expectations of Thorn were OTT but hopefully what I might call his apprentice years are done. The place has a vibe that feels like the run in to the Link era.

I’m in. Let’s go Reds. Got to like that play group.

PS a little sad for Korczyk. Hope he has other plans. Farewell bloke.

Glad to hear DRU... I recall you being such a negative Nancy

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
What's the go on McReight and Wright? Both recently re-signed for a few years. I haven't seen much of McReight but both of them seem to be out & out 7s, how do they fit into the same backrow, not just immediately but when both have super experience?

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
What's the go on McReight and Wright? Both recently re-signed for a few years. I haven't seen much of McReight but both of them seem to be out & out 7s, how do they fit into the same backrow, not just immediately but when both have super experience?
Both outstanding prospects and Reds would be mad to let either go. I think with Wright's height and speed he could play at 6 in the future. Certainly an embarrassment of riches in the Reds back row.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)

I will say from limited viewing at club/NRC. level. McReight is the best ball running 7 I have seen in a long time. He moves like a inside centre. If he was 2 or 3 inches taller he’d be a international caliber #8.

Wright is a wallaby so pretty self explanatory what he offers & why he needs to be on field.

The Reds definitely need to find a way to have McReight/Wright on paddock at same time even at expense of other taller backrower options.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
So, a new Pooper? what does that make? The world's first plane? Hah...

And then is Wood or ASY (Angus Scott-Young) the final piece to that puzzle?

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I don't think Wilson will be starting a head of ASY (Angus Scott-Young) for the first few games. He's extremely young and I'd imagine they want to let him develop first.

Are there any U23 tournaments next year that may require a number of our WTS or young guns to attend?