• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

B

Bobby Sands

Then he'd already be a Wallaby, let alone a capped Super Rugby player.

He is a capped Reds player?

I think hes travelling ok buddy.

U20 Australian skipper, Brisbane City NRC skipper, Brothers Premier Grade finalist, Brothers Colts Premiers.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
He is a capped Reds player?

I think hes travelling ok buddy.

U20 Australian skipper, Brisbane City NRC skipper, Brothers Premier Grade finalist, Brothers Colts Premiers.

No doubt he is going ok buddy.

Mcreight is doing well and showing promising signs, but let's not be hasty to raise him to the same heights at this stage considering he hasn't achieved the same heights at this stage.

B

Bobby Sands

No doubt he is going ok buddy.

Mcreight is doing well and showing promising signs, but let's not be hasty to raise him to the same heights at this stage considering he hasn't achieved the same heights at this stage.

Bizarre post for mine, but good for you.

I think this is an older generation Australian thing, because I remember people saying the same thing about David as compared to George.

Fraser isn’t David, David wasn’t George, these are not literal comparisons.

It’s clear as day some players are pretty good, but this “let’s not talk Em up they haven’t proved anything yet” mentality is clearly from another time, because the coaches are only too happy to outline how well they are going, what they are good at what needs improving etc

You see it when talking about Jordy and posters who have clearly never seen him saying Hodge, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) are the “big game” wingers and he is there for development.

I’ll go on record as saying Fraser & Harry are the best backrow talent we have had in a long time.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think what upthereds is saying, is that comparatively McReight isn't where Pocock was at this stage in his career, it has nothing to do whether McReight will be successful or not so don't take that to heart, its just a reality of how amazing Pococks development was at an early stage of his career.

McReight is young, but to hold McReights perspective against the development of Pocock, McReight would have played 2 full seasons of Super Rugby and be made his Wallabies debut this year.

B

Bobby Sands

I think what upthereds is saying, is that comparatively McReight isn't where Pocock was at this stage in his career, it has nothing to do whether McReight will be successful or not so don't take that to heart, its just a reality of how amazing Pococks development was at an early stage of his career.

McReight is young, but to hold McReights perspective against the development of Pocock, McReight would have played 2 full seasons of Super Rugby and be made his Wallabies debut this year.

Yes but that disregards the fact that we have all these other platforms and pathways that exist now that didn’t then - Harry, Fraser and to a lesser degree Isaac could not make themselves for the Reds because of the pathway of the u20s. This was never the case in 2006.

I watched David up close, I get that he was physically developed, but I think more realistically in line with the current system Fraser could not be moving any faster.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Yes but that disregards the fact that we have all these other platforms and pathways that exist now that didn’t then - Harry, Fraser and to a lesser degree Isaac could not make themselves for the Reds because of the pathway of the u20s. This was never the case in 2006.

I watched David up close, I get that he was physically developed, but I think more realistically in line with the current system Fraser could not be moving any faster.
what's Petaia doing differently?

B

Bobby Sands

what's Petaia doing differently?

Playing in a position that Australian rugby has no players in. We literally play centres on the wing because we don’t have any top flight wingers in the country.

Fraser could play for the Wallabies as soon as next season.

As a comparison, Fraser would have played 20+ games of rugby this year, Jordan about 2.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I'm old and I'm one of the guys who doesn't like very young talented guys getting talked up! It's got nothing to do with them 'having done anything yet' and everything to do with it being bad luck. At least in my head. And my brain says there's no such thing as bad luck but still I hate it when someone gets called the next whatever or whoever.

On Petaia, There is no way he's a winger for long. That guy is an outside centre all day.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

I think the fact those pathways exist now shows how impressive it was for Pocock to debut and come through the ranks so early to Super Rugby and the Wallabies. To the best of my knowledge Petaia is the only other player in recent years who has toured with both Wallabies and U20s in the same year.

No one is saying anything negative about McReight, just saying how impressive Pocock was at that age.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah look at the list of 20 year old and under debuts, it's a relatively mixed bag (for various reasons). Hopefully Petaia (and McReight) can top them all.

Petaia
Uelese
McMahon
CFS
Gill
Hooper
Horne
Beale
Cooper
O'Connor
Pocock

B

Bobby Sands

Yeah look at the list of 20 year old and under debuts, it's a relatively mixed bag (for various reasons). Hopefully Petaia (and McReight) can top them all.

Petaia
Uelese
McMahon
CFS
Gill
Hooper
Horne
Beale
Cooper
O'Connor
Pocock

Thats a pretty good list of players!!

Horne early on I thought was going to be Conrad Smith, his career went in a strange direction, and then of course he had that horrific accident.

I saw him in an airport recently, he was as skinny as a rake. It was heart breaking. :(

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I'm old and I'm one of the guys who doesn't like very young talented guys getting talked up! It's got nothing to do with them 'having done anything yet' and everything to do with it being bad luck. At least in my head. And my brain says there's no such thing as bad luck but still I hate it when someone gets called the next whatever or whoever.

On Petaia, There is no way he's a winger for long. That guy is an outside centre all day.

CFS comes straight to mind. Then when they don't match up to expectations or spend a lot of time injured because their bodies aren't fully developed the keyboard warriors just love to tear them down.
I'm also older & remember plenty of guys coming in young back in the day. The big difference is back then the average weight of a back was 80kgs, now that's the smallest players in the world cup!

B

Bobby Sands

Development of players has closed the gap between school, U20s, and professional setups. Look at the French National team, all the U20s champions have just seamlessly gone into the national side.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)

Petaia

Uelese

McMahon

CFS

Gill

Hooper

Horne

Beale

Cooper

O'Connor

Pocock

Loads of 19 or younger debuts: Horan, Little, Loane (18!), Tune to name but a few. Personally I think McReight is the best player I've seen since Gill. Has 2 big roadblocks in the way at the moment. No doubt though in my mind that this time next year he and Wilson will have been capped.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Loads of 19 or younger debuts: Horan, Little, Loane (18!), Tune to name but a few. Personally I think McReight is the best player I've seen since Gill. Has 2 big roadblocks in the way at the moment. No doubt though in my mind that this time next year he and Wilson will have been capped.
Yeah sorry, I should have said this is the list since Poey debuted for the Wallabies in 2008

Just to finish it off, the list since professionalism includes
TPN
Llyod Johansson
Giteau
George Smith
Lyons
Flately
Tune

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
^ Ah. Thanks Cob, makes sense now!!

Few handy players in that list. Poor old Johannsson probably should've done better with that talent.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Petaia
Uelese
McMahon
CFS
Gill
Hooper
Horne
Beale
Cooper
O'Connor
Pocock

Interestingly enough 5 out of that 11 were/have been plagued with injuries throughout their career with the first two spending more time on the sidelines than on the pitch.

A simple stat, but to me that highlights the need to not push 18-20 year old bodies too early in their careers.