• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
he's got a wonderful all round game but how good would it be to have a quality goal kicker too? It's been a long time since Australian Rugby has some one consistently dependable.
It seems a lost art in Australian rugby.

At the top level at least.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Why is everyone so keen to spell lose with an extra "o" on sports forums?

Lose is when you get whacked in a slam dunk tackle and you LOSE your mouth guard.
Loose is when you pack in behind the front row and locks in a scrum, you are a LOOSE forward.Or you can be LOOSE with your language, like a front rower is when the ref awards a scrum penalty against them.;)

B

Bobby Sands

Ollie Hoskins has just re-signed with London Irish. Has made 75 appearances and scored 16 tries. At 26, he will be prime to bring home before next WC. Would have been a great get for the Reds, though doubt it was ever feasible.

Lyall

Allen Oxlade (6)
And my original answer, twice addressed. Is how do you deal with the membership seating arrangement from both sets of supporters? Pretty major hurdle for 1.
Secondly, do you want the Reds game to be the curtain raiser or the main event?
Thirdly, yes. Winning works best. Remember 2011. Reds crowds outstripped Broncos crowds easily. Bandwagon support from the woodwork.
Fourth. The Auckland double header. Rugby has the upper hand. Here it'll be second fiddle and the majority of league bogans couldn't give two shits for our great game. No amount of gimmickry will change that.
Fifth. I'm far from an elitist. Just a realist.

We call them bevans up here.......

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Lose is when you get whacked in a slam dunk tackle and you LOSE your mouth guard.
Loose is when you pack in behind the front row and locks in a scrum, you are a LOOSE forward.Or you can be LOOSE with your language, like a front rower is when the ref awards a scrum penalty against them.;)
Or a LOOSE head prop, lose head prop has quite a different connotation

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Which reminds me. Too many posters also seem to mix up the use of "to" and "too". Fortunately most will use the numeral "2" when referring to a number.

Which, of course, is incorrect. numbers should be written up to twelve and be numerical after that. Don't shoot the messenger, I can't help it.

Reactions: TSR

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Anyone have any insight into whether we’ve recruited another prop and/or back up hooker?

At Hooker I imagine they may be content to rely on the wider training squad. Not sure I’d be so confident about doing that at prop though. Does Gavin Luka get a reprieve or are there a few others in contention? I’d imagine any local prospects would already be training with the squad, wouldn’t they?

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
From memory the following are on the Reds books as it tanks

Props:
Fotuaika, Hoopers, Smith, Tupou, Nasser and Luka

Hookers:
Mafi, BPA and Farrell

B

Bobby Sands

Anyone have any insight into whether we’ve recruited another prop and/or back up hooker?

At Hooker I imagine they may be content to rely on the wider training squad. Not sure I’d be so confident about doing that at prop though. Does Gavin Luka get a reprieve or are there a few others in contention? I’d imagine any local prospects would already be training with the squad, wouldn’t they?

I was never sure why we got rid of Efi Ma'afu. Surely we keep him around as WTS unless he has done something to lose the privilege.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Bravo QLD Rugby:

The Queensland Rugby Union (QRU) has today announced the St.George Queensland Reds will embark on a historic three-day ‘Reds to Regions’ visit across Queensland later this month.

Players and staff will be split-up and visit a total of 22 regional hubs including the country communities of Mount Isa, Longrech and Roma, to coastal cities like Cairns, Townsville and Mackay.

Queensland’s coaches will also hit the road with head coach Brad Thorn and assistants Jim McKay, Peter Ryan and Cameron Lillicrap all travelling to Goondiwindi.

The visits will take place in the first week of the Reds 2019/20 pre-season training between Monday 18 November and Wednesday 20 November.

The key focus for the regional tour is for the players to connect with the Queensland community through visits to local Rugby clubs, schools, hospitals, local Government, council and sponsor activations.

In addition, the visits will provide an opportunity for the players to meet and interact with the people across the state who the Reds represent when they pull on the maroon jersey.

Further to this, each player will be billeted and will stay with a host family during their time in that region.

Reds head coach Brad Thorn said: “As a group we’re looking forward to travelling around Queensland and connecting with the hard-working people of this great state.

“As part of the visit they will be helping spread the word about Rugby in the local community and hopefully help attract some new people to the game.

“It is also very important the players spend some time with clubs and schools who are already carrying the flag for the sport.

“Our players will be billeted, rather than staying in a hotel. They’ll also spend half a day working with people in the surrounding community, preferably with anyone doing it tough at the moment with the drought and other difficulties.

“At the heart of everything we’re trying to do is to help these men grow in character and overall, we’re there to connect and contribute to the local community,” said Thorn.

The QRU will also partner with Rural Aid to raise much-needed funds for Queensland communities affected by the drought.

Rural Aid provides vital assistance and support to farmers and communities in regional areas who are facing some of the worst droughts in the country’s history.

To donate via the ‘Reds to Regions’ Rural Aid fundraising page - please CLICK HERE

2019 REDS TO REGIONS
(in alphabetical order)

Barcaldine
Bundaberg
Cairns
Cherbourg
Chinchilla
Cloncurry
Dalby
Emerald
Gladstone
Gold Coast