• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think the GC and Sunny Coast are great spots for trial games. A bit close to Suncorp for a proper season game, especially with corporate responsibilities.

I'd love to see a game in Townsville, at the new stadium late in Super rugby.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think the GC and Sunny Coast are great spots for trial games. A bit close to Suncorp for a proper season game, especially with corporate responsibilities.

I'd love to see a game in Townsville, at the new stadium late in Super rugby.

Yeah would be good to see a game in Townsville, Reds played there back in the Rodney Blake era and beat the hurricanes, or came close to beating them I remember?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah we beat the Highlanders in Townsville. 22-16. Jeff Miller's last game as coach before Eddie Jones came on board...

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Pre-season starts next week, that should appease the slow news days a bit, will be interesting to see what project players they have with them to earn a contract.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
So - a question for this with a S&C/Athletic performance background.

It has been observed that the Australian/Reds players fitness levels aren’t where they should be and that the intensity and detail in the pre-season league training is another level to rugby.

Leaving aside the accuracy of those statements - how hard is it in general terms for a S&C coach to come in and just dial it up 2-3 levels in terms of pre-season fitness. What are the risks? Is there a much higher risk of causing long term
Injury, an risk of burning guys out too early and/or a risk that they’ll all be flat for the first 2-3 weeks of the comp. Do the extremes of summer cause a major impediment to optimising pre-season prep or is that able to be managed easily.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Absolutely there is added risk of injury with higher training volumes, the body can only be loaded with so much before it breaks. Players need to be conditioned up to the point of higher intensity, throwing in players who aren’t conditioned effectively is only asking for an injury. I know that’s why some on here object to young players getting thrown in too young as well. That’s where a good S&C coach is worth their weight in gold, they can identify the strengths and weaknesses, and tailor training so that all players are working to their capacity.

What league benefits from is a longer pre-season, which allows for a more tailored and structured pre-season with heavy loading and light loading phases. Reds/Australian Rugby have a competitively short pre-season, especially in 2019-2020 when the first game starts in early Feb.

And like you mention, the summer heat is going to throw an extra spanner into the world, and how that then flows into the early part of the season will be interesting to see.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
There are four attributes towards winning the super rugby competition, which are:
1)S & C (fitness)
2)Coaching (head coach & staff)
3)Player Selection (prior & during competition)
4)Attitude (players & fans)
Tell me if I've missed any other attribute here.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Lukhan Salakaia-Loto extends until 2022

Surprising, I actually thought the Tahs might try poach him and bring him home

Reactions: TSR

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
LUKHAN SALAKAIA-LOTO RE-SIGNS WITH QRU AND RUGBY AUSTRALIA THROUGH TO 2022

NOVEMBER 15, 2019
Qantas Wallabies forward Lukhan Salakaia-Loto has re-signed with Rugby Australia and Queensland Rugby Union (QRU) until the end of 2022.

The 23-year old has inked a new deal on the back of the Wallabies Rugby World Cup campaign in Japan, where Salakaia-Loto featured prominently both in the starting side and as a finisher.

After making his International debut in Bloemfontein in 2017, Salakaia-Loto has since earned 21 Test caps including all ten Wallabies matches this year.

Qantas Wallabies backrower Lukhan Salakaia-Loto said: “I’m very happy for my family and I to be staying here in Queensland for the next couple of years.

“What we’ve got building at the Reds is exciting and I’m very fortunate to be a part of what’s to come in the near future.

“I’ve enjoyed my time with both the Reds and Wallabies so far and future success and opportunities with both squads is what helped make my decision an easy one,” Salakaia-Loto said.

Salakaia-Loto will return to training with the Queensland Reds next month ahead of the 2020 Vodafone Super Rugby season.

Lukhan Salakaia-Loto
Position: Backrow/Lock
Height: 198cm
Weight: 121kg
Born: 19/09/1996
Place of birth: Auckland, NZ
Super Rugby debut: 2016 v Bulls, Pretoria (Queensland)
Super Rugby caps: 34 (Queensland)
Test debut: 2017 v South Africa, Bloemfontein (Australia)
Test caps: 21 (Australia)

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Out of interest, this is a Reds team of players signed out to the end of 2022

1. Hoopert
2. Mafi
3. Tupou
4. Rodda
5. Blyth
6. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
7. McReight
8. Wilson
9. McDermott
10. Lucas
11. Campbell
12. Stewart
13. Petaia

18. W. Blyth

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
hmm, I thought Hockings had signed. Seemingly not. He's only on for next year I believe. He becomes a big target for the Tahs and Rebels I'd assume.