• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
^* it’s fortunate the Titans are such a basket case or they might be able to pinch some of these players, they were definitely knocking on the door

B

Bobby Sands

^* it’s fortunate the Titans are such a basket case or they might be able to pinch some of these players, they were definitely knocking on the door

Ive got a feeling Justin Holbrook is going to turn that place around.

If they just only focused on signing the best Keebra / PBC kids every year and no one else, they would have the best roster in the comp.

In 2017 Keebra alone has 20 players in the NRL & 14 in the Holden Cup.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It is nice to see so many positive posts about the Reds out and about in the regions.

Took my daughter along to a junior promotional function today, after they had been put on the road visiting schools and working in businesses. It was very well attended and the boys were very gracious with their time. Also got to have a brief chat myself with Henry Speight - very lovely bloke.

Clearly happy to be finally given the opportunity to fill a life long ambition to play with the Reds. ;)

B

Bobby Sands

Enjoying seeing Wilso & Wright spending some time together in Barcaldine & Longreach. Two very big lumps, who will be playing a lot of footy together.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I've been running my eye a little more closely through the playing list.

Starting 15, clearly a number of tough choices, looks great. Mostly the 23/back up looks good. Broader squad in case of injury will get interesting in a couple of key positions.

Discussion points - 'Finishing' props - Hoopert I like, how good is Fotuaika? For the full season the back ups will be interesting,let's hope no injury in the front row.

Hookers I love Mafi and BPA. Back up for injury? I see Farrell in the squad does that work?

Locks and Backrow is an embarrassment of riches.

Scrum halves good.

Fly half is one of those things. I presume it will be Hegarty with Stewart on the bench (utility value) but neither really inspiring in the key play-making role. Will Isaac Lucas form up this year? If we play 12 JOC (James O'Connor) does this ease things at 10?

Centres and wing for the 23 are absolutely fine, but injury in either could get interesting for the game day 23.

While depth for a full season seems a little tight, this coaching squad (full marks to Thorn) has a proven ability to bring the youngsters through.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Prop for me is the area of weakness Dru. The first 4 are solid enough, but not sure where we stand if we have an injury.

The other big thing for me is how a couple of these young guys develop. I think most of us are excited by the potential - but the reality is that they have to deliver on that for the team to really compete.

I think that’s particularly important in the backs. It seems to me we have the potential to be a very attacking backline, but we probably need someone like Lucas to shine to provide some spark in the playmaking, Hegarty to be consistently at his best and 1-2 guys like Campbell and/or Daugunu to really kick on.

Petaia will almost certainly be our biggest threat (unless some else has a real break out) but I really want to see Mackay develop our backlines ensemble play. Really want to see our support play improve and guys working hard to get in position to support the break.

One of the things that seems to be coming across in the social media is that the Reds have a young group who seem really enthusiastic about the team and the culture. No doubt they are having the importance of work ethic hammered into them. Let’s hope it all comes together.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I think you’ve nailed it TSR re the backline composition and ensemble play. Petaia is certainly good enough to form a game plan around but then we are just doing another albeit slightly different version of the 2019 game plan. Hopefully we have a more balanced attack.

Our core group has been together now for a full season and preseason so I’m expecting some good combinations to form.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Hardest job for any young squad is consistency and performing week in, week out..
At times during the NRC the Queensland Country forwards looked like Super Rugby standard, in other games they went completely missing.

Thats where experienced players like Rodda, Salakai-Loto, Hegarty, Speight, JOC (James O'Connor) and Paenga-Amosa need to step up and take leadership roles in the team. Other guys who have a few seasons under their belt like Wright, ASY (Angus Scott-Young), Tupou, Stewart and Mafi also don't have the excuse of been inexperienced anymore either.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
I love everything that the Reds are doing right now but one small grumble that I have is the amount of development and/or training squad players that they are bringing in for pre-season trials.

Really happy to see Nick Chapman get recognised at 9 for NRC form and Zander at prop being called up but I don't think you need Paisami or any other uncontracted backs being called up.

I'd rather keep squad space and $ open for star schoolboy backs to go straight into the Reds like that Dion Samuela guy.

It is feasible for star schoolboy backs (eg. Petaia in 2018) to play Super Rugby at 18yo. Not very feasible for 18yo schoolboy forwards to play Super Rugby though.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Really happy to see Nick Chapman get recognised at 9 for NRC form and Zander at prop being called up but I don't think you need Paisami or any other uncontracted backs being called up.

Did you watch any NRC/Brisbane Club rugby?

Paisami absolutely deserves his spot as a “uncontracted” back. if you want to bring in a schoolboy star then bring them in as well. More competition the better!

B

Bobby Sands

I’d be incredibly surprised if Dion Samuela isn’t in very close contact with The Reds.

Paisami can’t pass, a by product of growing up in Melbourne I suspect. Great base ingredients but not sure he will make it. In saying that, he absolutely deserves a train-on contract. Cast the net far & wide - so much talent in QLD and much of it is misidentified or not graded at all.