• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I highly doubt he will be paid that much, that was the figure mentioned by the Storm, I suspect to appease the fan frustration of why they didn’t do more to try and keep him.

I don’t think he was signed as a 12/13, I think they see him as a winger, maybe fullback. His strength is his aerial ability and acrobatic means of dining the try line.

B

Bobby Sands

The money suggested for an NRL winger seems quite bizarre, they don't get well paid in the NRL so why are we paying overs?

False equivalency.

Rugby is a dire sport in terms of time and space. Scoring trys is at a premium. With cross field kicks, and turnovers looking to exploit overlaps it is often wingers who score them.

Wings score trys in league too, by the gallon. But so does every other position more or less. Backrowers often score first when the game is tight, and as it opens up holes are everywhere.

Fullbacks get paid the most (by and large + play makers) because they cover so much distance and touch the ball every set.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
False equivalency.

Rugby is a dire sport in terms of time and space. Scoring trys is at a premium. With cross field kicks, and turnovers looking to exploit overlaps it is often wingers who score them.

Wings score trys in league too, by the gallon. But so does every other position more or less. Backrowers often score first when the game is tight, and as it opens up holes are everywhere.

Fullbacks get paid the most (by and large + play makers) because they cover so much distance and touch the ball every set.

Rubbish, if someone is on "x" wages, you don't need to offer 3x or 4x to change "teams" unless they really don't want to come or you are desperate

S

Show-n-go

I’d love to see them bring back Luke Morohan in 2021, that would be a killer backline

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Precisely, JP is the 13 going forward, he is the player the backline is been built around.

You can have more than one. You know, contingencies and all. IF he is capable of playing 13 well, no harm in having him skilled for that too. Shouldn't be a stretch to default to wing if not required.
Of course, Petaia should be the clear front-runner.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
You can have more than one. You know, contingencies and all. IF he is capable of playing 13 well, no harm in having him skilled for that too. Shouldn't be a stretch to default to wing if not required.
Of course, Petaia should be the clear front-runner.
Sure, have contingencies but you don’t go out and actively recruit someone like Vunivalu to be a contingency, he has been recruited to fill a perceived weakness, and IMO that’s for him to be a winger not a 13.

S

Show-n-go

Still think his style of play coupled with his now years of experience would round out the team nicely

Definitely doesn’t play like an older player

ruggy

Herbert Moran (7)
This made me think of Izzy Perese too.. would be great seeing him back in rugby
Reds are apparently doing a combined training run with the Broncos at RedHill this Sat morning.

Good to see a little cross code love . BT and PR should feel right at home .