• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Agree Nomad. I’m sure quite a few people will be saying ‘JOC (James O'Connor) isn’t the future’ so shouldn’t be seen as a roadblock and yes that’s right to a degree.

But he’s the current Wallabies 10 and probably has another two years at least of consistent rugby ahead of him, barring a sudden drop in form.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Agree Nomad. I’m sure quite a few people will be saying ‘JOC (James O'Connor) isn’t the future’ so shouldn’t be seen as a roadblock and yes that’s right to a degree.

But he’s the current Wallabies 10 and probably has another two years at least of consistent rugby ahead of him, barring a sudden drop in form.

2 years is hardly a lengthy development programme for a 10 reaching pro-rugby. Thorn more than any other HC in Australia has demonstrated an intent, desire and implementation of getting broader squad exposure with game time.

IMO it is a golden opportunity for a next gen 10. I fail to see any better in Australia.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Are you talking about Mason?
He never went to the Force or Rebels, and at the time he left he was certainly wanted by the Reds and had just made his debut.

Reds offered him a contract. Force offered him a bigger contract. He turned down the Reds. Then changes his mind and the Reds reduced their offer. So he went to the tahs.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
How can one be mercenary in professional sport? Should they not seek the best opportunity?

Money isn’t always the best opportunity. A mercenary seeks out money above all other reasons.

I stand by my statement

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Money isn’t always the best opportunity. A mercenary seeks out money above all other reasons.

I stand by my statement
I’d suggest a number of those 10s you listed might have a completely different set of values to yourself.

Maybe loyalty to Queensland rugby isn’t their primary concern.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Maybe loyalty to Queensland rugby isn’t their primary concern

Probably their pathway opportunities, teaching by coaching staff & guidance from the incumbent in the position he plays, which in turn advances him & offers the future doubloons.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Maybe loyalty to Queensland rugby isn’t their primary concern

Probably their pathway opportunities, teaching by coaching staff & guidance from the incumbent in the position he plays, which in turn advances him & offers the future doubloons.
This is where the Reds should have an advantage in signing a young 10.

Good coaching team , get to train alongside the current Wallaby 10 and with Gordon and Lucas having left you would likely be next cab off the rank .

Brumbies and Tahs both have a few more options at 10.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I'd like to know who personally. Something has happened when our young stars (Gordon bros v 2 to the Rebels; Lolesio to Brumbies; Parata to Crusaders; Pasitoa to Brumbies even Mason to Storm) and I am sure others, head elsewhere straight after school. Perhaps its the scholarship system that creates a mercenary leaning from the get go..

Gordon brothers to the Rebels is purely monetary and playing time. However for those other ones like Lolesio, Parata and Mason going to the Storm, Crusaders and Brumbies straight out of school. Well, i think a massive factor is the reputation of those clubs to produce good players, they have a history of developing players and producing good results, Reds have hardly had that over the past 10 years. Loyalty to the 'state' only goes so far, young players also need to choose the pathway which will give them the best opportunity to develop as a rugby player.

If it were my son was offered a contract by the Reds and the Crusaders/Brumbies/Storm, id be encouraging him to take the one which offers the best environment for him to develop as a player.

Reds are on the upward trajectory again in this space, but it takes years/decades to earn a reputation like that.

Gervais_rugbylives

Allen Oxlade (6)
He was captain at BBC.

btw totally agree that clubs with good reputations are very tempting if a young bloke is given a similar offer. If I got the same offer from the reds and brumbies I would maybe go Brumbies because they have such a great system down there. It doesn't mean you aren't loyal. In the end, these guys just want to develop and be playing their best rugby for the most money possible.

Do we have a young development hooker at the reds?

What school did Henry go to?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Seru Uru packing down at lock for easts in the semi against Bond right now. at 6'6"/197cm he's taller than I thought. He's having a great game and could be a good option to shift into 2nd row for the reds next year

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeah looking forward to Vunivalu

Skill set and play style much more similar to Folau than Koribete (whom he’s been compared against lately). No matter what you think of Folau he’s was the Wallabies best attacking threat in last ten years. Looking forward to having someone who could possibly bring that to Reds and Wobs.

lpd

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Seru Uru packing down at lock for easts in the semi against Bond right now. at 6'6"/197cm he's taller than I thought. He's having a great game and could be a good option to shift into 2nd row for the reds next year

probably better for his career too

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
[quote="Gervais_rugbylives, post: 1173222, member: 113582" Do we have a young development hooker at the reds?[/quote]

Not sure where he sits on the Reds radar, but I would be interested in observations on Theo Fourie (who was in the Reds u20s pre-COVID)

dru

Tim Horan (67)

At that height Setu Uru is similar to LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (1cm shorter?) who is frequently pushed to 6 in the expectation that he does not have enough height for the row. Would we want two rowers in this bracket?

OTOH I see that Setu is taller than Brad Thorn who is possibly one of the best “engine room” locks in recent history.

Give the bloke a shot.