• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Heard from a reliable source that Vunivalu has tried to get himself out of the Reds contract twice now but QRU/RA aren’t rolling over. Wait and see what happens in the coming months.

I’m honestly surprised and I fully believed he was committed but I won’t now until I see him down at Ballymore in Reds kit.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I don’t think Vunivalu really needs the Reds next year nor do the Reds need him.

We’d probably be better off going after League players and juniors on the fence next year for the 2022 season when we have an established domestic comp and international test rugby is hopefully more of a possibility.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Vunivalu was reportedly signed for 900k wasn't he? I think it's in the Reds' and RA's interests to mutually break that contract.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Vunivalu was reportedly signed for 900k wasn't he? I think it's in the Reds' and RA's interests to mutually break that contract.

Not going to happen unless Vunivalu agrees to no compensation and signs on for a significantly lesser deal back in the NRL.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I wrote this in early June

"I think it would be smarter to use the 500k+ the Reds would be putting towards Vunivalu, and use that security to ensure essential existing contracts can be honoured and other essential off contract players retained."

"I would hate to lose existing important players because we can't give them what was promised/deserved, but be able to bring in Vunivalu."

But to be honest, I'm basing alot of my worry about who we don't/do have based on 2021. 2021 will be another weird anomaly. Alot of our big men overseas are off contract after the Euro seasons finish earlyish in 2021 and 2022, and could very well be looking to the 2022 and 23 seasons as their 2 year contracts in Australia to be WC eligible.

RA will help secure the young talent and the incumbent stars that we have a decent chunk of, but our journeyman/middle tier fo experience might be a bit bare. Though for the Reds - this isn't really a problem. Not like it is for say...the Rebels.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
If they're going to spend money on NRL players I think it would be best to spend it on guys like Tom Wright who have a history in rugby but who have developed in full time league programs. Otherwise spend the money on young rugby guys. Folau proved that these guys can be world class but still can't win games for us as we can struggle to win the ball.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I think it'd be stupid to let Vunivalu walk. The current backline has been pretty ineffectual in contact. Only Hunter and Dangunu (and CFS over the last 1.5 games) beat the first man.

JOC (James O'Connor) has great feet, but being at 10, the defence are able to restrict his space and time. Stewart won't draw more than one defender, Campbell needs space on the outside.

So if we don't keep Vunivalu's contract, where are you investing this cash? With the three amigos + Speight all leaving, there should be more financial room. I haven't looked at the resigned list, but aren't most of the young promising kids signed on the 22/23 as the QRU got them to pen 3 - 5 year contracts?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
If they're going to spend money on NRL players I think it would be best to spend it on guys like Tom Wright who have a history in rugby but who have developed in full time league programs. Otherwise spend the money on young rugby guys. Folau proved that these guys can be world class but still can't win games for us as we can struggle to win the ball.

Isn't that what Vunivalu is? Playing devil's advocate here; there's money allocated for big names and there's money for keeping youth in the game. We have barely any name brand players anymore and RA is well aware that a very easy way of getting more fans is poaching league fans. Vunivalu will bring new eyes to our game (and also hopefully score a bucket load of tries in Gold).

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
I think it'd be stupid to let Vunivalu walk. The current backline has been pretty ineffectual in contact. Only Hunter and Dangunu (and CFS over the last 1.5 games) beat the first man.

JOC (James O'Connor) has great feet, but being at 10, the defence are able to restrict his space and time. Stewart won't draw more than one defender, Campbell needs space on the outside.

So if we don't keep Vunivalu's contract, where are you investing this cash? With the three amigos + Speight all leaving, there should be more financial room. I haven't looked at the resigned list, but aren't most of the young promising kids signed on the 22/23 as the QRU got them to pen 3 - 5 year contracts?

You know it's funny I was always coached to run into space.

There are plenty of alternative uses for the millions. Paying loyal rugby players for being rugby players being one.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Isn't that what Vunivalu is? Playing devil's advocate here; there's money allocated for big names and there's money for keeping youth in the game. We have barely any name brand players anymore and RA is well aware that a very easy way of getting more fans is poaching league fans. Vunivalu will bring new eyes to our game (and also hopefully score a bucket load of tries in Gold).

Yeah we need mungos who demand less scrums, less lineouts and less kicking like we need a hole in the head.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
You know it's funny I was always coached to run into space.

There are plenty of alternative uses for the millions. Paying loyal rugby players for being rugby players being one.

But space is generated by blokes drawing in defenders or getting over the line. Its a bit hard to run into space if it's never made!

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)

How many league fans will switch over to watch Vunivalu? He isn't exactly a big name player like Folau was or by poaching back a State of Origin player like Ponga, Crichton or Murray. I don't get his signing, sure he played union when younger although his skill set in league is more aerial ability than beating a man. I think CFS and Daugunu offer more.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
How many league fans will switch over to watch Vunivalu? He isn't exactly a big name player like Folau was or by poaching back a State of Origin player like Ponga, Crichton or Murray. I don't get his signing, sure he played union when younger although his skill set in league is more aerial ability than beating a man. I think CFS and Daugunu offer more.

You'd be surprised, if Andrew Deegan or Harry Wilson switched to league I'd watch a game or two with interest. Even a 1,000 extra watchers is (sadly) a large amount for Aus rugby.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
One thing that keeps getting overlooked is where Vunivalu is coming from.

The Melbourne storm are a premier team and Craig Bellamy is arguably the best coach of the last decade. Bellamy has openly said he wants to keep Vunivalu, that tells me he sees the value in him and I think he’s a pretty good judge.

The counter argument for Vunivalu’s time at the Storm is they’re a very highly structured team and training environment, and some generational talent plays in that team. I follow league on and off and it’s clear that coaches and players who leave Melbourne don’t always see the same success once they leave that particular environment. It is possible Vunivalu fits into that category as well.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yep Vunivalu was a star school boy rugby player in Auckland. Then went to the Blues academy where he again was a standout. That’s when the Storm came knocking on the door.