1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

Discussion in 'Rugby Discussion' started by RugbyReg, Jun 2, 2020.

1. TSR Greg Davis (50)

Unless Van Nek can clearly jump in front of Nonggorr & Fotuaika in the pecking order then the other two are going to benefit from incumbency. I could see a scenario where Fotuaika is moved on given his injury interruptions, but the Reds are evidently happy with where he is at.

Good luck to young Van Nek. I hope he takes the opportunity at the Rebels with both hands. We can’t keep them all and we want more good young talent thriving within the various Australian Super Rugby teams.
  2. Adam84 John Thornett (49)

I think its a fine line between offering a contract to the best player available at that time, and also locking up the players with greater potential longer term. Glad i don't have the job of deciding who gets offered a contract and who doesn't
    Hound, Jimmy_Crouch and TSR like this.
  3. Jimmy_Crouch John Solomon (38)

Reds announced a presser at Alliance Airlines tomorrow morning. Major sponsor.
    Roberts Rugby likes this.
  4. Blackadder Alan Cameron (40)

Hopefully not Virgin airlines.. sorry
  5. Roberts Rugby Trevor Allan (34)

Tremendous.
  6. Roberts Rugby Trevor Allan (34)

It used to be affiliated with Qantas in some way. Not sure how it all works now.
  7. Adam84 John Thornett (49)

Alliance Airlines is 20% owned by QANTAS, but they also have a partnership with Virgin for regional routes
  8. kiap Mark Ella (57)

Charter flight and FIFO operator. Might be a chunk of the sponsorship is in kind. Not necessarily an issue when improving the bottom line.
  9. Adam84 John Thornett (49)

Hound, TSR, liquor box and 3 others like this.
  10. Adam84 John Thornett (49)

Impressive deal by the sounds of it, especially with COVID uncertainty

Jimmy_Crouch and Tomikin like this.
  11. Zero_Cool Trevor Allan (34)

Anyone know when / if the Reds have trial games?
  12. RugbyReg George Smith (75)

yes,

The Queensland Rugby Union (QRU) and the New South Wales Rugby Union (NSWRU) today announced that Narrabri, in northern New South Wales, will host the Santos Festival of Rugby in February 2021 – with a pre-season game between the Queensland Reds and New South Wales Waratahs at 8pm local-time on Friday 5 February the centrepiece of this celebration of Rugby.

but only one trial now per team - hopefully this stays. Assume it will as Santos are fronting up the cash I expect
  13. Adam84 John Thornett (49)

Vunivalu joins the Reds
    ACCBA4C6-CB8F-4072-92EB-B3DA2F7DE145.jpeg 366EB316-D7CB-4754-ABF1-D3F817B8FD5B.jpeg FB89B2B6-A334-4086-AF13-EAB31B6DC21D.jpeg
    Hound, Ignoto, Roberts Rugby and 3 others like this.
  14. TSR Greg Davis (50)

That does sound like a great deal.

I wonder if the Wallabies can borrow it for the weekend come time for the internationals?
    Roberts Rugby likes this.
  15. TSR Greg Davis (50)

16. RugbyReg George Smith (75)

Josh Flook, Zane Nonggorr, Mac Grealy, Kalani Thomas and Ilaisa Droasese have all been elevated to the Queensland playing squad from this year.

All signed for 2 years.
    Ignoto, Jimmy_Crouch and TSR like this.
  17. Jimmy_Crouch John Solomon (38)

I'd expect Flook, Nonggor, Grealy and Droasese to get plenty of opportunities. Thomas is a little further away but an awesome talent. Will squeeze Moses out next year.
  18. upthereds#! Desmond Connor (43)

I'm not as sure about Flook and Droasese getting THAT many opportunities. With Petaia back fit and Vunivalu in the squad, guys who got more chances last year like Paisami, CFS and Flook (before injury) have been pushed down, not up. I'd have both Flook and Droasese behind CFS who will be lucky to get a bench spot, let alone starting opportunities.
  19. The Nomad Phil Hardcastle (33)

Hopefully these young guys get to play some QPR this year if they aren’t making the match day squads.

Any news on if there is going to be another Covid “bubble” for the entire squad ?
  20. Adam84 John Thornett (49)

Haven’t seen CFS on any of the Reds social media, is he still there this year?
    RugbyReg likes this.