• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Brumbies - Super Rugby Round 7 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
White really showing what top quality coaching and management can do. Get the culture and selection right and good things happen. The Brumbies must be the hardest working team in the comp and they will not let themselves down. They might be beaten by more talented teams with a real appetite for the battle, but they will not be out-worked. I dont think the Reds have the healthy personnel to beat the Brumbies this weekend.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I suspect the Reds will have zero chance of making the finals if they don't win this week. That is how they should be motivating themselves for this game.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Before the first game of the season, Links said if the Reds won three of their first six games, that that result would be acceptable to him.
By that I assume he also meant that from after six games the Reds would gel as a combination and move on.
However that combination of the team is not taking shape yet, although did for the 30 minutes against the Sharks.
At this point, the Reds have been seriously hurt, their pride is now on the line, and I for one can see a change of attitude taking place against the Brumbies.
As for Murphy.
If he was playing according to the coach's instructions, i.e. a ball distributor & not a play maker, then keep him on, but have him change to the later.
If he ignored the coach, then replace him with Sam lane.
One last point regarding what I see as a failure in MacKenzie as coach. He should have changed from Harris to Lucas earlier in the season, as Lucas when he finally did play at 10 brought another element into the game for the Reds. Why didn't Links put Lucas into that position in earlier games, even if for 20 - 30 minutes to compare, and move Harris out as he did in the Sharks game. Seems like poor coaching to me.
OMG, I've committed the cardinal sin & accused Links of poor coaching tactics!

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
As for Murphy.
If he was playing according to the coach's instructions, i.e. a ball distributor & not a play maker, then keep him on, but have him change to the later.
If he ignored the coach, then replace him with Sam lane.
One last point regarding what I see as a failure in MacKenzie as coach. He should have changed from Harris to Lucas earlier in the season, as Lucas when he finally did play at 10 brought another element into the game for the Reds. Why didn't Links put Lucas into that position in earlier games, even if for 20 - 30 minutes to compare, and move Harris out as he did in the Sharks game. Seems like poor coaching to me.

I don't think it is a cardinal sin Emu, there have been a few of us questioning what was happening for a while with regards Harris & Lucas, the first 3 rounds at least. But, to give him his dues, I think he was trying to find, not only a 10, but a 12 and 15 as well.

I actually think that Murphy needs to stay at 10. He showed some improvement from the Bulls flogging to the Force shellacking. Constant shifting of players will not help combinations form, and since there seems to be a lack of a standout 10 in the academy, not withstanding Lane, we might be better off persisting with a bloke who is showing improvement than throwing someone else to the wolves.

I have that sick in the guts feeling that we are going to be given a lesson again this weekend. That is not going to stop me from being there. I have been a reds supporter now for 20 + years so a few losses is just what happens. Last year was great going to game and expecting a win, rather then expecting the loss and but seeing improvement. That is all I want improvement. Please.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
The jury is in I'm afraid after 6 games. Our Reds have at present a calamitous combination of missing key players, all-skills on a deteriorating trajectory, forwards looking like they're in off-season mode, and obviously low motivation and morale. And, it must be said, coaches that currently appear better at tweeting and 'we're determined to do better' lines than in actually delivering a team with application and motivation and renewed technical skill.

The Brums have a bit of the very first above, but none of the latter. And the confidence that comes from last year's away win at Suncorp and the desire no doubt to do better than the Force at dis-assembling the Reds' fragile attack.

Sadly, on the basis of objective evidence, you'd have to pick the Brums by 10+. Never, ever thought I'd say that or even close at Round 1.

I agree. I backed the Force last week by 10 because of the forwards. The brumbies pack is manning up. I'll tip the brumbies this week because of the forwards.

I would be interested in any comments on the impact Palmer is having at the Brumbies. He is always written off as a pot plant. In my playing days as an underweight hooker, I always had a better game when I had less mobile but strong props who dominated the scrums.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Although I don't revel in other misfortune, part of me goes thank f*^& for that. - http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/s...n-loss-to-sharks/story-e6frf4qu-1226315655839

Pretty tough SFR. And they have looked better with Lilo/McCabe than To'omua/Lilo. This is bad for us and incredibly bad news for a young player.

In the case of Harris and Lucas, Link prob got it right with what information he had at the time. Start of the year Harris was picked as much for his goal kicking as that was the percieved point of difference between the two from the trials and training. There was also Taps and Finger fit who had to start in the centres. If they weren't injured no one would be questioning that selection. Sound decision making at the time and it was recognised and changed 2.5 games in.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)

It's ok, there's no such thing as a good coach here, otherwise we'd have no one to blame when our team loses. The only coach I haven't really seen criticised on the board is Hill; it usually leapfrogs down to Muggleton.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Pretty tough SFR. And they have looked better with Lilo/McCabe than To'omua/Lilo. This is bad for us and incredibly bad news for a young player.

Agree on both counts. To'omua has had a rotten run of injuries the past few years and seems to have been rushed back a bit early. Poor guy was probably determined to get back to try and cement a spot before Lilo sews it up.

Think the Brumbies will be more dangerous with Lilo/McCabe at 10/12. Lilo is in great form and deserves to get a call up to Wallabies this year. He's always been a great runner of the ball but his defence has really stepped up too.

C

Cave Dweller

The 9 10 link is the vital part for the Reds. The decision making is lacking as it looks as its all dumped on Genia. Although experienced it is a heavy burden on him and need someone else to help out.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
"I have that sick in the guts feeling that we are going to be given a lesson again this weekend. That is not going to stop me from being there. I have been a reds supporter now for 20 + years so a few losses is just what happens. Last year was great going to game and expecting a win, rather then expecting the loss and but seeing improvement. That is all I want improvement. Please. "

I feel a little more positive aout this weekend. I don't know about Murphy though.
Yeah a win is nice but, after wearing reds shirts during their dark years and getting slammed for it, I just want them to start looking better out there. I don't give a shit if we lose as long as it is a close game and positive play is happeneing out on the field. Getting belted I hate.

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
Yeh, I hate get belted like the last two games, but I also take the good with the bad. The confidence seems to be down and I feel that Murphy improved slightly and I am hoping for further improvement this week. Will needs to step up and make some good decisions and the forwards need to re-discover their desire. Go the REDS!!!!

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
It's interesting that the majority of the talk in this thread is about the Reds. This will obviously transfer to the media and I think it could start to work against the Reds if it becomes all about them.

The Brumbies record against the Reds in SupeRugby is 16-2 and this will be playing on their minds if they don't get on the front foot and somehow make this week about the Brumbies to deflect the attention away from the poor tour. The younger guys in the Reds team need a chance to sort out where they are and regroup.

The Brumbies are flying under the radar a bit because the expectations of them for this year were so low that some would say they've already outdone themselves and it's only round 7.

I just hope that it's another close game for the sake of the Aussie conference because if you look at the ladder our teams are coming 6th, 9th, 10th, 11th & 15th and the rumbling from those other conference will only get louder from now on.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
I think there is a bleep on your radar now as the media are all over the young Brumbies squad and how well they are doing...

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)

I don't disagree and was probably a little nasty. Sorry. I think that To'omua was actually showing some real spark, and if playing this weekend could have been a real headache to the Reds. Yes it is depressing that yet another young player has ended up with a 'season ending' injury, particular To'omua whom has had a bad run and I think is a very promising player. I guess I was just clutching at straws in an attempt to see something positive for the Reds this weekend. Shows how down in the dumps I am that I am looking to injuries to the other team to make me feel better. Please accept my appology everyone.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Another positive is that Suncorp will be the only place to drink booze friday night in brizzy..(State Government alcohol restrictions on Good Friday)
Thank fuck for that if the Brumbies come out to play and the Reds dont.

They also have good record playing at home...

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Another positive is that Suncorp will be the only place to drink booze friday night in brizzy..(State Government alcohol restrictions on Good Friday)
Thank fuck for that if the Brumbies come out to play and the Reds dont.

They also have good record playing at home...

Betcha Caxton Street businesses are pissed about that.....

Status
Not open for further replies.