• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Brumbies - Super Rugby Round 7 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
It's interesting that the majority of the talk in this thread is about the Reds. This will obviously transfer to the media and I think it could start to work against the Reds if it becomes all about them.

The Brumbies record against the Reds in SupeRugby is 16-2 and this will be playing on their minds if they don't get on the front foot and somehow make this week about the Brumbies to deflect the attention away from the poor tour. The younger guys in the Reds team need a chance to sort out where they are and regroup.

The Brumbies are flying under the radar a bit because the expectations of them for this year were so low that some would say they've already outdone themselves and it's only round 7.

I just hope that it's another close game for the sake of the Aussie conference because if you look at the ladder our teams are coming 6th, 9th, 10th, 11th & 15th and the rumbling from those other conference will only get louder from now on.

The Brumbies are definitely massive favourites for this game, and currently favourites to be the only Aus team in the super rugby finals.

brumsfan

Sydney Middleton (9)
As much as I want the Brumbies to top the Aussie conferrence, I also want the tahs reds force and rebels to do well.

If NZ and SA super teams perform poorly it will have no effect on the status of rugby, if our teams struggle, revenue and status takes a huge hit locally. So good luck to all the teams.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm not sure you could really call them favourites for the Australian Conference yet.

Their best game was a one try win against at home against the Highlanders without Adam Thomson. I really think that result would have been different if Thomson was playing.

I don't think you can write off any Australian team at this stage except maybe the Rebels.

From the look of things none of the teams will win enough games to be able to write the Reds off yet. If they get players back and have a good run in the second half of the season they could still easily win the conference.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm not sure you could really call them favourites for the Australian Conference yet.

Their best game was a one try win against at home against the Highlanders without Adam Thomson. I really think that result would have been different if Thomson was playing.

I don't think you can write off any Australian team at this stage except maybe the Rebels.

From the look of things none of the teams will win enough games to be able to write the Reds off yet. If they get players back and have a good run in the second half of the season they could still easily win the conference.

I agree Braveheart. Not just re the Reds, but the fact is that all Aussie teams do not at this stage have great w-l ratios, there is much volatility and unproven consistency. If this pattern continues, a clear Aus Conference favourite may not emerge until after the June Tests period and we're in the last throws of the S15, pre-Finals.

It's perhaps of interest that, in last year's S15, no team in the final 6 had more than 6 losses (that's the Tahs) from 18 Rounds. That may or may not be relevant this year as the Aus Conference winner could lose, for example, 9 games and still win the Aus Conf finals position as they were, in the end, 'less bad than every other Aus team'...and maybe losing BPs could be crucial in arriving in that place.

brumsfan

Sydney Middleton (9)
Wasn't calling Brumbies favourites or writing any team off, just frustrated with all the stupid comments from fans bagging other teams. Aus Rugby will suffer if only one team is strong at the expense of others, some seem to delight in the injuries and loses of Aus teams not from their state.
The brumbies beat the highlanders team they faced, thats all you can do, why are you running down another Aus team for a fantastic victory that no one gave them a chance of winning. I for one thought it was amazing 2 years ago when the unknown reds were winning in great style.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Obviously everyone has talked a lot about what might have been for the Tahs (blowing the game against the Reds, losing by a point to the Highlanders and Force).

By the same token, the Brumbies were a bit lucky to get up over both the Force and the Cheetahs and could have easily lost both those games.

The Force just lost to both the Brumbies and the Rebels and could easily have won both those games.

A couple of things going the opposite way could easily have the Aussie Conference looking completely different.

The only similarity would be that it would still be looking mediocre compared to NZ and SA.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Another Reds loss to an Aussie team this weekend against the Brumbies could bury the Reds hopes to top the Aussie Conference for 2012... Go get’m Brumbies... they’re red ripe for the picking…

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Gotta agree Brumsfan. Love my Reds but still gotta support other Aussie teams.
Don't mind who wins outside QLD as long as it is a good and fairly contested game. Love good rugby.

L

Linebacker_41

So the Reds have lost the last 3 weeks. The other way to look at it is that if they turn this around this week then they will have beaten all 4 of their conference competitors. This is huge aspect of the conference system.

Every NFL fan knows that beating your conference opponents is worth 2 wins and their conference system has been around for a long long time.

I cant help but think that the Reds just need the ball to fall their way. I hate to say it but an all in stink might be the catalyst for changing the direction of the past 3 weeks. Now dont get me wrong I dont think that this should be the plan but I do think that it will only take one galvanising moment for this team to rediscover the 1-2% needed to turn it around.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
So the Reds have lost the last 3 weeks. The other way to look at it is that if they turn this around this week then they will have beaten all 4 of their conference competitors. This is huge aspect of the conference system.

Every NFL fan knows that beating your conference opponents is worth 2 wins and their conference system has been around for a long long time.

I cant help but think that the Reds just need the ball to fall their way. I hate to say it but an all in stink might be the catalyst for changing the direction of the past 3 weeks. Now dont get me wrong I dont think that this should be the plan but I do think that it will only take one galvanising moment for this team to rediscover the 1-2% needed to turn it around.
and on top of that the Reds have only travelled to SA so far, this is by far the hardest away trip and to even win one game over there is an effort, never mind 2 games. So at worst I think we will only fall one game behind other Aussie teams in the SA tour points. I think if the Reds win twice in NZ then we will still have a great shot at the conference title. (I am not too confidant of this!)

W

What2040

How many of the Reds injured players are back this week

Toua?
Wallace Harrison?
Ben Lucas?
Sautia ?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Aiden Toua is the only fit one from that lot. I really hope he gets a chance, this could be his breakthrough opportunity. Anyone whose watched him in the Premier Grade or in U20's ect knows how talented he is.

C

Cave Dweller

The Reds are the defending champions the Brumbies not. So the Reds doing badly below expectations will cause a bit of more pen about them than some other sides.

Scotty

David Codey (61)

Shhhh.... stop it. I'm trying to claim underdog status. The Reds appear to play better with that tag.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Think they'll be allowed to open at midnight now it becomes Easter Saturday...the punters will then have all weekend plus Monday to recover...

Caxton Restaurant will be open before the game but not the general pub area. And it will be completely shut after the match.

For those interested, here's a link to the actual rules around it & sadly handing over a Freddo Frog with every beer won't get around them.

http://www.olgr.qld.gov.au/resources/liquorDocs/FactSheet-EasterTradingHours.pdf

T

tranquility

That he does, and I hope he gets a shot from the bench most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.