• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Brumbies - Super Rugby Round 7 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
BRUMBIES
1. Ben Alexander, 2. Stephen Moore, 3. Dan Palmer, 4. Sam Carter, 5. Leon Power, 6. Peter Kimlin, 7. Ita Vaea, 8. Ben Mowen, 9. Nic White, 10. Christian Lealiifano, 11. Henry Speight, 12. Pat McCabe, 13. Andrew Smith, 14. Joseph Tomane, 15. Jesse Mogg.
Reserves: 16. Anthony Hegarty, 17. Ruaidhri Murphy, 18. Scott Fardy, 19. Michael Hooper, 20. Ian Prior, 21. Zack Holmes, 22. Tevita Kuridrani.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Reds playing with their backs to the wall, at home - they'll win.
Seen enough rugby to understand that determination goes a long way in winning a match.
If they lose, it is really nearly curtains for them, not so much for the position on the ladder, but mostly mentally.

Yeh I agree. Quite a few people saying the Brumbies will get up here but geez i'd like to think the Reds, despite what seems like a lack of passion this season (coupled with numerous key injuries) have enough heart and determination to stop the losing streak and get things back on track at Suncorp.

Link probably needs to stick with the same backline as well and let them get over that mental hurdle of not being able to get a win. If I were Dallan Murphy i'd be going out there and trying to play the best game of my life because lets face it, if Harris, Lucas etc are meant to be back after the bye this is looking like Dallan's last game for the Reds. Im not sure how the academy contracts work but considering these last few games were supposed to be him finally 'making it in Super rugby' then he hasn't really shown much/enough to be given another contract in my opinion when there are plenty of younger blokes coming through. No doubt he's been a good club player and obviously trains well but that hasn't turned him into a successful Super rugby player yet. The Brumbies game is probably the make or break of his professional career, in Australia at least.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
What Link needs to do first and f-ing foremost (a) is to find out why his forwards have not been performing to anything like the required skill and intensity and ditto with general defensive attitude and application across the XV, and (b) get a grip as to why his coaching team are not fixing these problems fast enough, then, after that, change something and fix the problems be they mental or otherwise. But if inwardly our team really want to be salaried men in 2012, and not champion warriors any more, even Link won't find a path to the Finals.

If in the first 10 mins on Friday, our Reds' forwards are anything like what they were against the Force, kiss it goodbye.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I reckon that this week we will start to see the unravelling of the "mastercoach" scenario at the Brumbies. White's old SA ideas about not needing a genuine fetcher at 7 and not needing to hold the ball longer than two phases are going to be gold for the Reds at Suncorp. If the Reds play possession football and starve the Brumbies they'll tire after 50 minutes no matter how fit they are. And then the opportunities will open up.

W

What2040

Great to see Hooper on the bench. hopefully Reds will be too far ahead for him to make a difference
(when he does get on)

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Hawko hasn't seen any Reds games so far;) Wish i was confident that they would not cough the ball up every 2nd or 3rd phase for them to play that game.

Must start with Holmes over Daley. That is a strong Brumbies front row at the set piece. Would be better around the park on current form too if not for pot plant Palmer.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just hope the match is not marred by controversial refereeing decisions, one way or the other.

I hope we see another repeat of Giteau's penalty last year, with the state the Reds are currently in the outcry would be even worse. :cool:

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I reckon that this week we will start to see the unravelling of the "mastercoach" scenario at the Brumbies. White's old SA ideas about not needing a genuine fetcher at 7 and not needing to hold the ball longer than two phases are going to be gold for the Reds at Suncorp. If the Reds play possession football and starve the Brumbies they'll tire after 50 minutes no matter how fit they are. And then the opportunities will open up.

To play "possession football" the Reds forwards will need to improve about 200%. The Brumbies are committing a good load of units to the breakdown and counter rucking well

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Just got word that Toua will be in the 22 and possibly starting. Also with indication looking like Gill and Robinson will play in tandem, I'm wondering why Hooper was left on the bench.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
People may have forgotten: yes, the Reds were on the lazy side v Brums at Suncorp last year, but it was principally the Brums' excellent forwards' work that stunned the Reds, cruelled their quick ball hunger, and forged the win.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Just got word that Toua will be in the 22 and possibly starting. Also with indication looking like Gill and Robinson will play in tandem, I'm wondering why Hooper was left on the bench.

Hey, now I have something to look forward to, to balance the many anxieties that already grip me re Friday!

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Anyone know when the reds announce their team? Captains run is tomorrow so I would have thought we would have know by now.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Anyone know when the reds announce their team? Captains run is tomorrow so I would have thought we would have know by now.
I was expecting it today, as they usually announce on a Wednesday if they have a Friday match. I'd assume tomorow morning along with REDS TV

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
Steve Walsh refereeeing? Jeez, some history there...............doesn't look good for the Brums......

L

laps

Just like to remind everyone that Jake White chose to go with Ita Vaea round 1 when they played the Force who id say probably have a better back row (and a better 7) than the Reds, and it seemed to work...

Besides Vaea only runs like a 8 on the beep test (but benches over 200kg), so I'd say he will just be out there bashing the reds for a half or so then put Hooper on to scavage from a tired Reds pack (maybe?)

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
That was the plan and it worked.
maybe that's why link is thinking of fielding two scavengers

Status
Not open for further replies.