• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Brumbies Trial Match - Cairns - 11 Feb 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yikes. There was one Brumby player there (might've been Mogg? or Smith?) who seemed to have a hand in two Reds tries...

Vaea looks massive.

I really hope White starts him at 8... I really really do...

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Hooper and little Finger will be fine 7's. Then with Mowen 6 and Vaea 8 there should be the makings of a pretty good backrow in a year or 2.

But with most Saffa sides lacking a geunine fetcher type 7 in the Aus/NZ mould its quite probable White will opt not to play one.

T

tranquility

That may be his preference, but in terms of resources he has 2 Fetchers in a very finite squad. Injury, form, recovery, man-managment will mandate that the Brumbies will be playing a fetcher in most 22s.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Fainga'a appears to be the White's first choice for 7, but he's not playing this week due to injury...

brumsfan

Sydney Middleton (9)
I think openside is yet to be decided but would expect hooper to own the position by the end of this year.
Fainga'a played the first half against the Force at 7 which was the 2nd team, played no.8 against reds also in the 2nd team. Hooper was openside in the no.1 team against force, then also 7 in seconds against reds.
I was at the reds game, and can tell you hooper was the outstanding 7 on the field, Vaea started at openside and did some good hard D and applied some pressure at the breakdown, but had a very low work rate and was too slow around the field. It may be just an experiment but it wasn't successful in my view, maybe we will find out more tomorrow.
Hooper was very physical, forced turnover, cover tackled and scored the try. Robinson tried hard and Gill looked too lightweight and lacked any physicality in what was a strongly contested game up front.
Brumbies had a good ammount of possession and weren't outplayed by much, however reds deserved to win as they scored 4 tries to 1. Brumbies had their chances but never applied sustained pressure, because when in range they kicked for goal. The worst aspects for brumbies was poor line outs, and when the reds kicked back to them from kick offs they knocked on every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.