• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Force, Super Rugby Round 5, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I was impressed with the defensive effort of the Force. The were in the faces of the Reds all night. The Reds really missed Fainga'a who seems to make more ground than he should with the D in his face.

The Force tactic of attacking close to the ruck seemed to work well too and easy metres were made there.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Quad seems to spending more time in all of his decision making this season, not only in kicking. In past seasons it appeared he played more instinctively.

It's like as he's getting older he's thinking things out more, and that results in:
  • taking more time to make his moves, and
  • often making the wrong move
Possibly, he's just trying to do too much, rather than letting the majo just come to him?

This is how I see it as well. He doesn't play well when he thinks. He just needs to do.

He also needs to start running the ball more.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I'd be interested to the stat for how many times Quade is going to the ground with ball per game?

If a 10 is going to keep the opposition guessing he needs to attack the line ball in hand enough to keep them on the back foot. At the moment there is no illusion with Quade.

Hoolly Doolly

Fred Wood (13)
The problem with the reds is in the forwards to clean out and deal with the disruption the Force forwards created, and thus slowing down delivery to the halves.
3 guys the reds are missing in this respect is Daley, Horwill and Robinson. All three of them have massive work rates off the ball. Not taking away from the efforts of the other guys,but the 3 i mentioned just do it better. Also Beau Robinsons isnt the most polished flanker but he brings a lot of energy to the pack and seems to be infectious. When he's match fit I would consider using both him and Gill on the flanks and a coin toss between Schatz or Quirk both capable and if not the ole warhorse samo when he's right to go. The backs will sort themselves out(no shortage of talent here) and score more tries once the forwards at least gain parity or dominance at the breakdown and the collision contest.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
The problem with the reds is in the forwards to clean out and deal with the disruption the Force forwards created, and thus slowing down delivery to the halves.
3 guys the reds are missing in this respect is Daley, Horwill and Robinson. All three of them have massive work rates off the ball. Not taking away from the efforts of the other guys,but the 3 i mentioned just do it better. Also Beau Robinsons isnt the most polished flanker but he brings a lot of energy to the pack and seems to be infectious. When he's match fit I would consider using both him and Gill on the flanks and a coin toss between Schatz or Quirk both capable and if not the ole warhorse samo when he's right to go. The backs will sort themselves out(no shortage of talent here) and score more tries once the forwards at least gain parity or dominance at the breakdown and the collision contest.

Exactly. Reds aren't dominating up front and Cooper is getting a lot of shit ball. Not doing much with the good ball, but it certainly doesn't help, especially when Frisby runs around like a headless chook for 15 seconds trying to find where Cooper is.

With Genia back, Fainga'a giving you STRAIGHT go forward and organising the D, plus Daley and Horwill back in the forwards, you'll improve massively.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Just watched the game. Best part for the force is the fact we left a potential 2 try's out there. I can't believe how quickly junior's try was disallowed. It was pretty inconclusive from the views we saw. Defiantly didn't see air between him and the ball. I thought the Commentary was average. Quirks card was the correct call all day however the Fox sports commentary didn't see it that way.

In the end the score line flattered the reds. It could of easily of been 28 too 12.

Did anyone else here the ref say to roselia "they put so much stuff on my head its hard too hear" in relation to the mark? Haha

I don't understand the quade hate. I think he was bloody good. Best so far this year. Everyone around him was average.

Hoolly Doolly

Fred Wood (13)
LoL! Yeah i couldnt believe the comments made trying to talk down Quirks use of the shoulder.
I thought the disallowed try of roselea was the right decision.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)

I'd like to see Samo at 8 if we're playing Robinson/Gill on the flanks. Quirk has plenty of mongrel and I like him personally but he's still a smaller flanker. If the issue if moving bodies around the ruck are then I'd definitely see a need for Samo at 8 to balance the pack out. This only holds though if Schatz has another bad game. Otherwise it'd have to be Samo or Schatz at 8, Robinson/Gill/Quirk would just be far too small of a back row if they issue you're seeing involves moving bodies at ruck time.

Status
Not open for further replies.