• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v. Force Super Rugby Round 6 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I will be very interested to see how both teams bounce back from this weekends disappointment. Two different frames of mind, the Force probably feel they let one get away, and the Reds have to pick themselves up off the floor after being towelled up.

From a Reds perspective, I wonder who is available to return from injury? The midfield could do with Ant Fainga'a's defensive starch and straight running. Not sure about 5/8, does Murphy get another chance? Also not convinced we have fullback sorted as Davies looks quite tentative at times and Morahan needs time on the wing to regain his confidence.

The forward pack was completely outplayed by the Bulls and maybe one or two need a rest. I would certainly have a front row of Holmes, Hanson and Slipper, maybe bring Van into the starting pack at the expense of Simmons, and have Quirk somewhere in the 22.

As for the Force, I wonder whether it's time to start Harvey at 10?

N

Newter

I will be very interested to see how both teams bounce back from this weekends disappointment. Two different frames of mind, the Force probably feel they let one get away, and the Reds have to pick themselves up off the floor after being towelled up.

From a Reds perspective, I wonder who is available to return from injury? The midfield could do with Ant Fainga'a's defensive starch and straight running. Not sure about 5/8, does Murphy get another chance? Also not convinced we have fullback sorted as Davies looks quite tentative at times and Morahan needs time on the wing to regain his confidence.

The forward pack was completely outplayed by the Bulls and maybe one or two need a rest. I would certainly have a front row of Holmes, Hanson and Slipper, maybe bring Van into the starting pack at the expense of Simmons, and have Quirk somewhere in the 22.

As for the Force, I wonder whether it's time to start Harvey at 10?

Agree, a very interesting match. Watching the highlights some of the Bulls' tries were very soft. Davies was a turnstile, Morahan and Shipperley not much better. Plenty of opportunities there for some hard running from Alfie Mafi.
Then again the Force were a shambles on their goal line in Melbourne. Shocking fuck ups in communication. Could be a high scoring shootout in the end, in which case I've got more faith in the Force whose attack has been starting to click nicely.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
It'll be 'interesting' as to whom we'll anoint as place kicker! Do we have one left? Genia's practice work doesn't seem to be coming off ;). Taps, Morahan, Murphy? Weak Red's place kicking could well seal the match for the Force if it's moderately close.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What's AWH's injury/timeframe?

But really wtf has happened to Fainga'a and Daley. Last year they played above their weight but it seems that's catching up with them.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Murphy to 15. A bit less pressure and a good chance for the young bloke to get his confidence back up. Taps to 10 me thinks. Don't know his level of experience there but he is playing confident and using the ball nicely. Moz into 13. Davies back onto the wing. This may sound bat shit crazy but Samo to 12. We are having trouble penetrating the advantage line and if he just trucks it up all day and bends the line, it will be a job well done. Our options are limited and we need to think outside the square. This also frees a bench spot up for Quirk.

As for the game plan I would like to see us keep it in hand then when the time is right use our pace out wide.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Quirk needs to be in the 22. Mongrel and aggression needed.

Surley AWH and A.Fainga'a are due back soon.

Are there and 7's or Academy playmakers worth giving a shot? Murphy struggled, and that hair cut.....wow Sherman with a red mop on his head.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Ruggo,

Don't know about Morahan at 13? If he is down on confidence after being found out positionally in defence at fullback, things will not get easier defending the 13 channel. He's a great winger, and IMO provides best value there. If Murphy is the playmaker that Link says he is then he probably deserves another shot at 10, but his defence will have to improve big time. He also needs the pack going forward and a few direct runners coming off him and straightening things up.

Plenty of work to do at training this week that's for sure!

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Quirk needs to be in the 22. Mongrel and aggression needed.

Surley AWH and A.Fainga'a are due back soon.

Are there and 7's or Academy playmakers worth giving a shot? Murphy struggled, and that hair cut.....wow Sherman with a red mop on his head.
Quirky also brings a high work rate to the side. As for playmakers, I think Murphy is the best available, with the possible exception of Matt Brandon. He would also answer the goalkicking conundrum.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
What's AWH's injury/timeframe?

But really wtf has happened to Fainga'a and Daley. Last year they played above their weight but it seems that's catching up with them.
I will usually defend Saia until the cows come home as I think he is an under rated player in the team, I have always thought he brings more to the Reds than he is given credit for, but I cant defend a thing he did against the Bulls, I think it would have to be the worst performance at that level I have seen, If he did not get injured then he would have been pulled from the field shortly anyway.
but... he will come back from it!

I think we miss Anthony for his defence and his organization of other defenders, we are missing his high pitched screams telling others where to go, we also obviously miss his hard straight running too. I think his organizing is equally important.

Did Genia get hit hard over the off season and get scared of contact? He seems to be playing a very soft version of a contact game, he seems too keen to get rid of the ball to avoid a tackle without caring where it goes to and how the recieving player is going to handle the pass.

I seem to remember the Springboks? having a policy where forwards were fined for kicking the ball, I propose a fine for any chip kicks that dont result in a try, the fine is getting dropped for the next week. You have to have the ball in your hands to score a try, so hold on to the bloody thing.

I dont know if I can pick the Reds this week, it is a battle of 2 poor teams.

I think it is clear that Australia will only have one team in the finals, our second placed team will not make it so the Reds need to start getting bonus points from somewhere and definately some wins.

Reds 10 Force 9

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Quirky also brings a high work rate to the side. As for playmakers, I think Murphy is the best available, with the possible exception of Matt Brandon. He would also answer the goalkicking conundrum.
I think all of us in Brisbane know Brando deserves to have a Super Rugby contract, he'd be a better option then Murphy.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Murphy to 15. A bit less pressure and a good chance for the young bloke to get his confidence back up. Taps to 10 me thinks. Don't know his level of experience there but he is playing confident and using the ball nicely. Moz into 13. Davies back onto the wing. This may sound bat shit crazy but Samo to 12. We are having trouble penetrating the advantage line and if he just trucks it up all day and bends the line, it will be a job well done. Our options are limited and we need to think outside the square. This also frees a bench spot up for Quirk.

As for the game plan I would like to see us keep it in hand then when the time is right use our pace out wide.

I wish i could tell if you were serious, things must be bad.

Instead of Samo at 12, why not Higgers? Faster, fitter, stronger and Quirk could come straight into 6. Have still not seen much of him but what i have is enough that i'm surprised he hasn't been used more. His aggression from the start could be very important.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Welcome to the Tahs 2011 experience.
Yes, that thought was running through my head when I started totalling them up. We were very lucky with the lack of injuries last year, seems a double ration is coming our way this year.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Yes, that thought was running through my head when I started totalling them up. We were very lucky with the lack of injuries last year, seems a double ration is coming our way this year.

SPF, noted, but please let's not start a run of myths that we had a glorious largely injury free year in 2011, because in truth we had more than a few. As but one example, do you remember Caleb Ralph of all people having to be drafted in v Chiefs away from the Sunshine Coast rugby club scene? Harris didn't play full season, Diggers was out for a period with concussion, etc, J Lance was drafted in late in the picture, etc. Davies was injured for a period...

Where we were fortunate was that the crucial troika of Horwill, Genia and Cooper stayed in one piece pretty much throughout. The engine room remained intact for nearly every game.

W

Waylon

The Reds are going to limp into town. The Reds pack doesn't like it up em and their injury ravaged backline is as useless as the Force backline

It won't be memorable..........

But like so many rugby starved West Australians, I will be there with my three kids eating pies, buying hyperinflated merchandise and teaching my only son Tommy - tough - c--- to heckle Queenslanders

We smell blood

Force by 20

Status
Not open for further replies.