• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Lions, Super Rugby Round 13 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Just worry about putting in a good performance and let all the other stuff fall into place. If we come into this game with preconcieved ideas, it blow up in our faces.

Lions are a good side, just inconsistant. Which Lions side will show up? We must presume they will be up for it.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
So if the strong rumour that Cooper is starting happens to be true, who will miss out in the backline?Can't see the wingers or centres being changed so it would have to be out of Morahan or Lucas, both of whom who had solid games on the weekend.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I cant see Quade being named this weekend but if he is he'll be named on the bench. I dont think he's quite 100% and they wont risk him even at 95%.

With that said, the Reds have to play the next 2 weeks as though they're playing a semi final (v Lions) and grand-final (v Brumbies). A loss in either game and its all over. So any kind of resting is absolute stupidity. Especially with a bye only two weeks away. So IF Cooper is genuinely 100% no way id leave him out of the 22.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
So if the strong rumour that Cooper is starting happens to be true, who will miss out in the backline?Can't see the wingers or centres being changed so it would have to be out of Morahan or Lucas, both of whom who had solid games on the weekend.
Lucas to the bench would be my pick (unfortunately)
I would prefer Lucas to 12 and Harris to the bench and goodbye Davies

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
BTW I thought Mozza would have to sit out a game or two. Wasn't he cited?

He got an off-field yellow card. The "offence" wasn't deemed worthy of a red card and suspension by the citing officer so he's free to play.

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
Lucas to the bench would be my pick (unfortunately)
I would prefer Lucas to 12 and Harris to the bench and goodbye Davies

I agree LB, but that won't happen. Harris is too valuable in the kicking role. I reckon they will start with Cooper and play him for a set time. I prefer Lucas to Moz at fullback and Lucas will probably fill the defensive role from 10. When Cooper departs, Lucas reverts to 10 and Moz to 15

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Jim Tucker has him coming back from the bench. This should sell a few thousand more tickets even if he mysteriously withdraws during the warm up

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...f-reserves-bench/story-e6frep5o-1226357332851

PLAYMAKER Quade Cooper will make his long-awaited comeback for the Reds against the Lions on Saturday off the reserves bench.
Flyhalf Cooper was likely to be involved in his first contact session in seven months at Reds training this week and appears to have fully recovered from the knee reconstruction which followed last year's Rugby World Cup.
His return had been pencilled in for the clash with the ACT Brumbies in Canberra on May 26 but he will now sit on the bench at Suncorp Stadium this week.
Whether he is used will depend on the situation in the game but there is no structural reason why his right knee is not ready..
Being confident in every sidestepping, twisting move and going full throttle is where the Reds want him to be at mentally and that means a little more time.
Cooper has said he wants to be "at 110 per cent" before he takes the plunge.

T

trophyhunter

The team is working ok at the moment, I would be more inclined to start Cooper off the bench if he is indeed fit to play.

I agree with Quade's statement of wanting to be at 110% before his return. Confidence is what makes Quade play his best, if every jink and step is making him second guess his knee, he should wait until he trusts it and it is not on his mind.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Mentally this will be a difficult game for the reds (and coaching staff). Big comeback against the rested and top of the table chiefs last week and a looming early final away vs the brumbies next week. I hope they are switched on!

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The team is working ok at the moment, I would be more inclined to start Cooper off the bench if he is indeed fit to play.

I agree with Quade's statement of wanting to be at 110% before his return. Confidence is what makes Quade play his best, if every jink and step is making him second guess his knee, he should wait until he trusts it and it is not on his mind.

Not to mention possibly even poorer in defence!

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Updated version of the Courier Mail story now says he's starting.

PLAYMAKER Quade Cooper will make his long-awaited comeback for the Reds against the Lions on Saturday at Suncorp Stadium.
In a surprise move, Cooper, 24, will start the match and not join the fray from the reserve bench.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Maybe there is some behind the scenes action to get Quade to make his return this week. I mean no doubt this will be the lowest crowd of the season, because the Lions are shithouse, BUT what happens if Quade returns? Add a few thousand to the crowd total.

I really doubt he will play, let alone start. But if he did start Move Benny Lucas to 15 and Morahan to the bench.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hmm yes this could be a genius marketing ploy by the QRU to get a few extra bums in seats in what would probably have been their lowest crowd figures for the season.

Will be great if does play though. Morahan actually had his best game of the season last weekend so I don't see him being benched, purely to keep his confidence up as he is a massive liability when playing rubbish. Ben Lucas has done nothing wrong but I reckon he'll get chucked on the bench hopefully at the expense of Davies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
St.George Queensland Reds team to face Lions
1. Greg Holmes (Sunnybank)
2. Saia Fainga'a (GPS)
3. James Slipper (Gold Coast)
4. Rob Simmons (Sunnybank
5. James Horwill (c) (University)
6. Jake Schatz (Sunnybank)
7. Liam Gill (Sunnybank)
8. Scott Higginbotham (Wests)
9. Will Genia (Sunshine Coast)
10. Quade Cooper (Souths)
11. Digby Ioane (Sunnybank)
12. Mike Harris (University)
13. Anthony Fainga'a (GPS)
14. Dom Shipperley (Brothers)
15. Ben Lucas (Sunnybank)

16. James Hanson (University)
17. Ben Daley (Gold Coast)
18. Adam Wallace-Harrison (Sunnybank)
19. Eddie Quirk (Easts)
20. Nick Frisby (GPS)
21. Chris F'Sautia (Souths?)
22. Luke Morahan (University)

RETURN OF KING QUADE! Great to see him back.

Lucas at fullback is the right call, interesting that F'Sautia was brought onto the bench, I would of liked to see Beau Robbinson there, but it means Quirk will get more game time which is a good thing.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Have to feel sorry for the Lions. Every other side this year has had at least one chance to smash Davies.

Morahan is unlucky, after a difficult start to the season he is finding composure and impact.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I see Chris Feauai-Sautia is coming off the bench.
It will be interesting to see how well he performs as he was a schoolboy prodigy apparently.
And also someone called Quade Cooper at 10, anyone know how good he is?
Lol

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Very happy with that team. Glad I'm going to the game to see Quade back from injury and Chris FS make his debut off the bench.
Probably good to give Beau some rest after his injury a few weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.