• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Lions, Super Rugby Round 13 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
Talking of hamstrings: does anybody know how Aidan Toua's injury is progressing, or is he back playing club rugby already?

He and Chris were doing a session wehn I was at Ballymore late last week, I didn't get to see to much of it but can only assume since Chris is on the bench he can't be too far away.

Had a chat to Link after the team announcement and he said he was looking forward to what Chris could do, acid test wise, so you would assume that 2 + 2 = 5 and Toua could have been selected as well.

L

Linebacker_41

Glad to see Ben Lucas not being shunted to the bench. Even though Morahan played well last weekend Lucas deserves to keep a spot in the 15 - we also need someone to keep our solid line of defense so a similar arrangement to last year is ideal.

To be honest it would have been terrible had Lucas been put on the bench.

I am tiring of the "hit and miss" Morahan. When he is on his a match winner, however when he is off he can definitely lose you a match. If I counted the on games in the past 3 years I doubt I would need more than 1 hand. Lucas on the other hand rarely has a bad game.

Ultra consistent, ultra reliable.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
However a player like Morahan with his speed and size and running lines, outside of Cooper is invaluable. Cooper is much more likely to put Morahan away for a try than he is Lucas.

The blindside winger will play the Morahan type role in this, since our other backs aren't exactly blessed with speed.

W

What2040

To be honest it would have been terrible had Lucas been put on the bench.

I am tiring of the "hit and miss" Morahan. When he is on his a match winner, however when he is off he can definitely lose you a match. If I counted the on games in the past 3 years I doubt I would need more than 1 hand. Lucas on the other hand rarely has a bad game.

Ultra consistent, ultra reliable.

agree with the "ultras" but zero "x" factor as well - not necessarily a bad thing particularly if players outside are gamebreakers in their own right

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Good point - you need the game breakers but you need the facilitators too.

You also need Steady Eddies, but not too many of them.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
A few thoughts on the team:-

1. Has age finally caught up to Radike Samo? Seriously, the man was a wallabies starter 8 months ago. Now nobody even questions his absence from the 22. I didnt think he'd be able to have another year like he did in 2011 but I at least expected him to provide some nice moments off the bench for the Reds. Is Link preparing for life without Samo, or is he really that out of form? any thoughts?
2. Great to see Quade back. I hope he's worked on defence.
3. I'm glad to see Davies out of the 22. (sorry rocket fans). He is horribly out of form and doesnt offer a lot other than pure speed. Link should start blooding new talent, rather than bringing Rod in late in the game.

Hmmmmm

I see Chris Feauai-Sautia is coming off the bench.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)

Well you couldn't expect him to just turn up in Canberra next weekend and tear your blokes apart straight off a 7 month lay off now could you?

But that's a discussion for another thread. Anyone got any sort of decent info on the Lions? Haven't been paying much attention to their efforts this season and they've been given next to no chance by the betting agencies.

Why is it that they've been so rubbish for so long? And has Dud Roodt gotten any better since his days at the Tahs?

L

Linebacker_41

A few thoughts on the team:-

1. Has age finally caught up to Radike Samo? Seriously, the man was a wallabies starter 8 months ago. Now nobody even questions his absence from the 22. I didnt think he'd be able to have another year like he did in 2011 but I at least expected him to provide some nice moments off the bench for the Reds. Is Link preparing for life without Samo, or is he really that out of form? any thoughts?
2. Great to see Quade back. I hope he's worked on defence.
3. I'm glad to see Davies out of the 22. (sorry rocket fans). He is horribly out of form and doesnt offer a lot other than pure speed. Link should start blooding new talent, rather than bringing Rod in late in the game.

1. I think the volume of work from last year caught up with him particularly the EOS tour to Wales. He has looked overweight and unfit from last year. I would expect him to finally be back in shape after the June tests which would be a great boost for the run to the finals (that is if the Reds beat the Brumbies)
2. Unlikely - Mr "Confidence isn't something that I lack" is hardly going to listen to people to take the time to fix up his weaknesses.
3. Link must have listened to you cause CFS will be that new talent late in the game.

Craig Riddington

Sydney Middleton (9)
Resally good team methinks.

Morahans game last week was his best by far and it will be disappointing that he has been benched. Hanson would be filthy but Saaia probably grings a little more at scrum time. Lucas could not be left out. Was Beau dropped out of 22 for "injury" or non-performance. seemed to be ok (from injury point of view)

Not sure about that. I got the impression that last season, the scrum improved when Hanson came on for Saaia? Could be convinced otherwise though. Not a lot to choose between them. Reckon you're right about him being filthy as I think he's been consistently good all season. It will be a really tough competition for the starting role as we get into the business end of the season. Up to Saaia to take this opportunity.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Guys, one Morahan swallow does not a summer make. He's been shocking for much of this season. Lucas has been far more consistent and will offer more as a second playmaker when needed.

Re Beau - FWIW, I have heard his foot is not yet 100%. Suspect he's being rested when now not so crucial as last Sunday. I'll bet he'll be back vs Brums May 26.
Its funny but I still picture Morahan on his work last year and see him as a future star, he looks big and fast and can tackle. I think he is worth persisting with.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Not sure about that. I got the impression that last season, the scrum improved when Hanson came on for Saaia? Could be convinced otherwise though. Not a lot to choose between them. Reckon you're right about him being filthy as I think he's been consistently good all season. It will be a really tough competition for the starting role as we get into the business end of the season. Up to Saaia to take this opportunity.
I have never thought the scrum was any better with either of them, I think Saia is a slightly better lineout thrower but his tackling is a lot better and allows guys like Robinson and Gill to pilfer a bit easier. He is very good at chopping guys down at the knees just like his brother

L

Linebacker_41

Its funny but I still picture Morahan on his work last year and see him as a future star, he looks big and fast and can tackle. I think he is worth persisting with.

I agree he has the talent. But he has been on 2 end of season tours and is yet to get a Wallaby jersey. He has had many opportunities to demonstrate his talent but has not taken it in the past 2 years.

At some persistence has to give way.

I liken it to doubling up on Red everytime black turns up playing roulette, eventually you are going to run out of money from continual loses.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I agree he has the talent. But he has been on 2 end of season tours and is yet to get a Wallaby jersey. He has had many opportunities to demonstrate his talent but has not taken it in the past 2 years.

At some persistence has to give way.

I liken it to doubling up on Red everytime black turns up playing roulette, eventually you are going to run out of money from continual loses.
or he becomes a higginbotham, last year he was payed out for not being tight enough and not physical enough, but has always posessed talent. He has shown us all this season what he can do.

Morahan is getting paid out this year, and still has time to prove himself.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I actually think Morahan has performed pretty well this year considering the circumstances. His defensive form has improved over the last few weeks. Has had a few shockers through the season. But for me, he's just one of those classic outside backs to put on the end of an attacking backline. He runs great lines, has plenty of pace and has a knack for breaking the line/busting the tackle. He really flourishes outside a guy like Cooper. And he's only 22. I'd be surprised if we dont see him in a Wallabies jersey at some point.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Hasn't spent much time at 15 at this level either, not sure if he has elsewhere and think if he'd been able to start on the wing things may be different. Pity we have so much talent out wide. Am still interested in seeing him at 13 at some stage.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Must say that I am feeling a lot better about having him in the team these days. He has improved significantly this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.