• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Rebels 31 Jan in Cairns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
That's three tries from mauls as Reds score another.

Previous one was from the Rebels as their maul splintered and Ah Nau barged over despite the attentions of a couple of tacklers.

Then the Reds get another scrum penalty and get a 5m lineout, first maul Higgers was penalised for bringing it down, second attempt and Beau gets a second.

Paia'aua misses the kick, Rebels lead 14 - 13.

BTW, poor Paia'aua dropped another before.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Gee the referee is merciless on the Rebels. The reds really should be leading by at least 30 points given they seem to have the referee adjudicating very much in their favour.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Both teams will really, really need to pick up their games going into the Super Rugby season so far.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Reds with a lineout move get to 1m out but the Rebels turn it over and try to run from behind their own tryline but are shadowed into touch.

Reds lose the lineout, Rebels get it and kick into the Reds 22. JJT ignored support and puts in an average clearing kick.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Knock on trying to dive over the tryline by the Rebels.

Harris had a clean break earlier to put the Rebels in the Reds 22.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Reds scrum just marched the Rebels back 5m but couldn't draw a penalty.

Rebels back on attack.

Crowd just over 4k according to Reg on commentary.

T

TOCC

Reds scrum just marched the Rebels back 5m but couldn't draw a penalty.

Rebels back on attack.

Crowd just over 4k according to Reg on commentary.

I thought the Ref played that one correctly, Shatz picked the ball and ran with it... No need for a penalty

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Rebels over again, 26 - 13.

Rebels have been dominating the game completely in the last quarter, Reds not even in it.

T

TOCC

i wouldn't go as far to say "Reds not even in it", Rebels just dominating the breakdown and getting plenty of turnover ball and continuity

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Well both teams quite rusty, but rebels showing more composure, ability, skill, passion, and infinitely better drilled than the reds so able to actually score points.

I see the exact same reds as last year: strong set piece but absolutely nothing else in their favour.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah, was somewhat eerily similar to last year, with little structure and composure in general play.

To be fair, the second string pack was hammered by the Rebels second stringers at the ruck in the last quarter. A bit worrying, but no the end of the world. A lot of the problem was poor Paia'aua dropping too much ball and not the right passing options. Hopefully he can improve next week.

First trial though, so let's help things improve for the Reds.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Well both teams quite rusty, but rebels showing more composure, ability, skill, passion, and infinitely better drilled than the reds so able to actually score points.

I see the exact same reds as last year: strong set piece but absolutely nothing else in their favour.

These are trials. Let's wait till the season begins before we write them off.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Yeah, was somewhat eerily similar to last year, with little structure and composure in general play.......
A lot of the problem was poor Paia'aua dropping too much ball and not the right passing options. Hopefully he can improve next week.

First trial though, so let's help things improve for the Reds.
Next week will be tougher again.
Not sure if it's smart to start Duncan next week.
When you have to sink or swim,there are often casualties.
If he is on a multi year contract,I would be easing him in at the back end of a few games to try and build confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.