• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Stormers - Super Rugby Round 9, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Open to suggestions. Caxton Street somewhere? Any time after 4pm will suit me..... bugger work. Rugby more important. And you can wuote me on that.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
There are around 10 of us, we're normally at the Caxton first unless we have the kids with us..

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
As much as I enjoy the club rugby season starting up again it does limit my Friday night game beer consumption which is a shame. I'll be hiding in the grandstand sipping on water and eating a banana.

L

laps

All I can say is this. If Harris is at 10 the Reds will not win. They have no creativity in attack at all and he does not create anything. If we have learnt anything in the past 8 weeks of the 2012 Super Rugby compeition, it is that you need to score tries to beat the stormers. Kicking penalty goals will not work. List of Reds tries:

Week 1 vs Tahs: Dom Shipperley - 80m solo try out of nothing
Week 2 vs Force: Ben Tapuai - 40m-ish try out of nothing run up the sideline
Week 2 vs Force: Radike Samo - 50mish Intercept Try
Week 3 vs Rebels: Dom Shipperley - Didn't see this game so for kicks and giggles I will credit 1 try to the brilliance of the 5/8 out of bennefit of the doubt
Week 4 vs Sharks: James Hanson - Went by himself off the back of a maul from lineout in opposition 22
Week 4 vs Sharks: Scott Higginbotham - short ball off the ruck, dives over the line - didnt see build up so ill say we can say harris maybe had something to do with this...

So all in all, the Reds scored 1, maybe 2, decent attacking tries, and only 2 tries against the force, and 1 against the Rebels (disgusting).

Put the house on Stormers unless Reds dramatically turn things around. Playing like they did against the Brumbies isn't going to win them this game (which coincidently they scored 2 tries out of nothing, 1 which was very debatable).

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Like the option of sticking with Lane at 10. Means we have our best defending 15 at the back in Lucas and Harris is/will be a cracking 12. Our defence has been so poor this season that we could likely score 4 tries and still lose this weekend. There is more than a few tries in this backline and i'm happier it will leak less as well. Its not like Grant is a great 10 and Harris can resume kicking and take some pressure off Lane in that department.

9. Genia
10. Lane
11. Morahan
12. Harris
13. Taps
14. Shipperly
15. Lucas

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Penguin's
The best we have looked in attack this year was during the meagre minutes that Lucas has been on the field at ten, he just has to start there. Lane can have a place on the bench. He played admirably in his debut but he has done his job
also strikes a cord with me.
Have Lane on the bench, with Lucas at first flyhalf & Harris (particularly for his points kicking) at second flyhalf.
I know it's a risk having two inside backs coming off a long injury spell although I'd imagine the two weeks break with the bye would have seen some fairly intensive training, and at the end of the game the backs normally don't have to be as fit as the forwards to play well (oink, oink).
At least they'll be fresh. If either falls over then Lane can come onto the 5/8, &/or Lucas could replace Harris if Harris is buggered.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Lane was fine the other week but really, he's player one game of Super rugby ever and been in the Reds set-up for under a month. Lucas should get the nod at 10, Harris at 12. Morahan can stay at 15 with Davies at 11, or Toua can go to his rightful position of 15.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Quin Roux but they wont fly him in , To close to the game.
Burger

What's your personal view on Roux PB? Is he more of a No.4 or a No.5 type lock? I read a report somewhere that he was actually ahead of Etzebeth in the pecking order before the season started, but then picked up an injury and missed his opportunity?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
What's your personal view on Roux PB? Is he more of a No.4 or a No.5 type lock? I read a report somewhere that he was actually ahead of Etzebeth in the pecking order before the season started, but then picked up an injury and missed his opportunity?
He is a grunting type like Elstadt/Etsebeth. Jean de Villiers is out for a few months with a hand ligament injury. JP du Plessis will slot in 13 and JdJ probably in 12. Jean will not only be missed as a player but surely is a captain. Schalk, Jean and Bekker the leaders in the Stormers pack and we are left leaderless. Cant see us getting close in this game.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Cant see us getting close in this game.

Really????? Granted you know your team better than I would, but it isn't exactly like the reds are playing awesomely this season, and there is nothing to suggest that this is going to change suddenly. The players returning from injury are the players that were playing at the start of the season when we were playing less than inspiring rugby. :(

The Stormers have lost two (key) players but is it these specific two that make such a difference? (Having said that, I wouldn't have thought QC (Quade Cooper) being out injured would affect the reds so much, but it apparently has - so maybe these two will make such a big difference as well!?) As I said, I don't know the Stormers well enough, just wouldn't have thought they would be affected so much given how strong they have looked this year.

I want the reds to win, but the Stormers loss to the saders last week will probably do nothing less than stiffen the Stormers up into a side that will not accept anything other than a huge win. :(

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
, and there is nothing to suggest that this is going to change suddenly. The players returning from injury are the players that were playing at the start of the season when we were playing less than inspiring rugby. :(

Did you see the two halves of Reds Rugby when Lucas was at ten? Inspired!!!! Killed off a spirited Rebels first half & had the Sharks at their mercy until the hamstring went. I'd suggest his return will make a huge difference to the backline functioning.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
As much as I enjoy the club rugby season starting up again it does limit my Friday night game beer consumption which is a shame. I'll be hiding in the grandstand sipping on water and eating a banana.

You can go to a pub and not drink beer you know. :). It is looking like I am going to have to because I might need to driver home that night. :(

Did you see the two halves of Reds Rugby when Lucas was at ten? Inspired!!!! Killed off a spirited Rebels first half & had the Sharks at their mercy until the hamstring went. I'd suggest his return will make a huge difference to the backline functioning.

God I hope so.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Bekker and Etsebeth will play now. Bekker is much needed with JdV out.
Supersport
Bekker may face the Reds

by Gavin Rich 17 April 2012, 08:20
Springbok coach Heyneke Meyer apparently mentioned the Stormers when he tried to justify the possible recall of Victor Matfield as national captain by saying there is a lock crisis in the country, but it appears that if there was ever a second row problem at the Cape franchise, it is being cleared up.
On Monday it was confirmed that there was a good chance that the impressive young Eben Etzebeth, who along with the Bulls’ Juandre Kruger has surely proved that there is sufficient new talent coming through for a call to Matfield to be unnecessary, will be fit to play against the Reds. And on Tuesday Stormers assistant coach Matt Proudfoot told the Cape media that there is a good chance Andries Bekker might play too.
Bekker left the field in obvious discomfort complaining of a lower back injury in the defeat to the Crusaders last weekend, and as he has been troubled by back complaints in the past, there was concern that he may be in trouble long term. However that has not been the case, with Bekker staying on with the squad in Australia, and Stormers coach Allister Coetzee deciding against making the call to replacement lock Quinn Roux that he spoke about after the Crusaders game.
“Andries felt a lot better today, and if he gets through training tomorrow, then he will play. If not, then we definitely won’t select him. If they are both okay, Andries and Eben will start at lock for us,” said Proudfoot.
Bekker should have extra motivation to get out there and prove his worth after reading or hearing that Meyer is thinking of bringing Matfield out of retirement to captain the Springboks on an interim basis. If any player has bided his time, it is Bekker (well okay, maybe Bismarck du Plessis too), and his talent demands that he be backed as the first choice No 5 lock, a position that he would fill in any other international team.
The Stormers lighthouse got the better of Kruger when the two went head to head in the recent south/north derby in Cape Town a few weeks ago, but the Bulls player is also more than adequate back-up for Bekker, and has made significant improvements under Matfield’s coaching.
Which really is what Matfield should be concentrating on right now, his new career as a coach (and commentator), and Meyer needs to find enough confidence to embrace a new future for the Boks and not justify the views of those who feared he would be too conservative as a coach by taking a big step backwards into the past.
But back to the Stormers, who have played to the mantra that if they keep winning the national coach will have to recognise the individuals in the team, who face a tough match against the champion Reds in Brisbane. It is made more difficult by the fact they have just suffered their first defeat, and sometimes a first loss means you have to in a sense get back on the bike.
Apart from the injuries suffered by Bekker and Etzebeth, the Stormers also trained on Monday without Duane Vermeulen, which isn’t good news for if they were forced to play without the physical loose-forward and Bekker at the same time it would leave a massive experience void. Fortunately though it seems Vermeulen sitting out was just a precautionary measure, with his knee being “managed”.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Stomers lose captain De Villiers for 'months' with a hand injury. I was really looking forward to watching him live.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)

I hope you're right.

Status
Not open for further replies.