• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Canes v Reds @ TheCakeTin

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tranquility

Haven't had any success in Wellington in a long time. No healthy outside backs, and a faltering attack.

Reds by 7.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Reds need to win this game. Not going to give a score and talk about what they need to and not do. Same old story week in week out and RG sounds like a Brocken record.

These carnts need to fire and toughen up, and have a better second half of the season.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Need to start giving your young guns plenty of game time.
Get them ready for next year.
you won't make the playoffs,give yourself a head start for next year.
Salvage something from the season.

T

tranquility

Give yourself an uppercut. We do not need any south of the tweed foresight. We can't afford to have two sides in this country going into receivership.

It's the midpoint of the season, we've seen how one injury can effect an entire side. Haven't we?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
This is cheap trolling, really.
If you think there is a point to make about 2015 planning, put it in the Reds 2014 thread, and maybe put some discussion in as to who needs more time, why etc...
This thread is about this game, stick to that.
As per another thread, which you may have missed, more of this stuff will cop bigger sanctions. I'm over it.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
No healthy outside backs, and a faltering attack.

Reds by 7.

And the Canes backs are really firing at the moment with a good mixture of brilliance and solid play. The Barrett and Leiua combo clicking. J. Savea is playing like a wing/loose forward with the amount he's getting involved.

Jane getting back into some form and Taylor is counter attacking making yards at will from any poor kicks.

Playoff position in sight for the Canes as well.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
As counter-intuitive as it sounds, it would probably be good for the other Aussie sides if the Reds got a win in this game. The Hurricanes are on a bit of a role and are challenging for a top 6 spot.

The Reds will need to limit their mistakes because the Hurricanes are very dangerous from turnover ball and surely one of the best teams in the comp at exploiting it.

The Reds are great at rising to the challenge in the face of a bit of adversity. Their season is well and truly on the line here and I think they will give it a great crack.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
The way the Canes' backline has been playing recently, I really cannot see us winning this one.

Our piggies have to dominate the game for us to have any chance, because we are going to struggle out wide.

......Reds by 3

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Barrett, Perenara, Smith, Savea, Jane, Taylor.

God damn!!!

The only way I can see the Reds getting up is if they get all emotional and do it for Jimmy.

which, if anyone deserves it (QC (Quade Cooper) and Sanchez due to hit 100 soon too), its Kev.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Canes pack played well last week but I still don't rate them that highly. The Reds pack if they play to their potential can definitely disrupt their set piece and breakdown.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Canes pack played well last week but I still don't rate them that highly. The Reds pack if they play to their potential can definitely disrupt their set piece and breakdown.

They did play well. And whilst they have some deficiencies, what has been a real standout for the forwards is the play of Jack Lam. In my view he's been the best openside flanker in the comp. He has won alot of penalties and/or turnovers. In career best form.

Vito is still getting back into the groove from injury, and hopefully Shields will be right to go this week. The locks have been hit and miss as have the fatties up front. Coles is playing better over the last month than he did in the first few weeks.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Arguably the best backline on paper and a major reason for their form turnaround, the Hurricanes are able to easily put 30+ on a team, on their day.

With maybe Jane the only underperformer in a backline with Perenara, Barrett, Savea, Leuia, Smith and Taylor, the Reds kicking game will need to be effective, and their defence - repressive.

The Blues targeted the Canes at scrum time, so setpiece will likely be the area worked on during the week by the Reds. A front row of Goodes, Coles and Toomaga-Allen pales in comparison to the improved front row of the Reds. Add to that the Reds lineout unit which has functioned well.

I anticipate the Reds to emulate the game plan they used last year at Suncorp and rumble the ball up in the forwards with pick-and-gos. It's probably a better plan than kicking it back to the Canes to launch counterattacks.

Hard to predict the result, but I think it could be a 6 point win one way or the other. I'm leaning towards the Canes more as they lost by a point last year in QLD.

But that doesn't mean I don't want the Reds to do the Force a favour and overcome the Canes. ;)

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Reds team

1. Ben Daley
2. Saia Fainga’a
3. James Slipper
4. Rob Simmons
5. James Horwill (C)
6. Eddie Quirk
7. Beau Robinson
8. Jake Schatz