• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Cheetahs - 2011R06

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
This should be an interresting game. The Cheetahs will have their tails in the air after that performance. No doubt Link will have been taking plenty of notes on tonights performance.

We better do some work on ball security in the tackle & ruck, Broussouw will tear us a new one based on his performance tonight if we don't get it right.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
This should be an interresting game. The Cheetahs will have their tails in the air after that performance. No doubt Link will have been taking plenty of notes on tonights performance.

We better do some work on ball security in the tackle & ruck, Broussouw will tear us a new one based on his performance tonight if we don't get it right.
Better get Higgers relocated in tight if they can. And get Houston there too. The Cheetahs targeted one off Tah runners and turned them over almost at will, so you need a buddy running on the hip in attack with 2 more close behind. If the Reds can nullify the Cheetahs breakdown work, they should have more than enough firepower to beat them with ball in hand, especially if it isn't wet.
I would not be surprised to see a reasonably large margin to the Reds to be honest. Big chance for Higgers especially to show he can play it tough and tighter.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Better get Higgers relocated in tight if they can. And get Houston there too. The Cheetahs targeted one off Tah runners and turned them over almost at will, so you need a buddy running on the hip in attack with 2 more close behind. If the Reds can nullify the Cheetahs breakdown work, they should have more than enough firepower to beat them with ball in hand, especially if it isn't wet.
I would not be surprised to see a reasonably large margin to the Reds to be honest. Big chance for Higgers especially to show he can play it tough and tighter.

Too bloody right about Higgers staying in tight. As Gnostic said in another thread, if he plays as loose as he did yesterday it could get ugly. I'm guessing he will be worded up pretty strongly on that point. Houston needs to reproduce his form from yesterday as well.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Up the pace and the big boys will tire an our bench will have impact. The Tahs let them dictate the pace of the game and they suffered. Lots of counter attack as the Cheetah will try to pin us down for sure.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Too bloody right about Higgers staying in tight. As Gnostic said in another thread, if he plays as loose as he did yesterday it could get ugly. I'm guessing he will be worded up pretty strongly on that point. Houston needs to reproduce his form from yesterday as well.

Although he does tend to play loose, it looked tactical last night. He needs to play tight early on but in the later parts I wouldn't mind him having a run wider.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Although he does tend to play loose, it looked tactical last night. He needs to play tight early on but in the later parts I wouldn't mind him having a run wider.

True enough, last nights game/opponents suited that loose style of play, when you look at the Rebs loose forwards there were no real threats at the ruck with Lipman out. Would have been a good race to the tryline if he had held that pass from Davies. Everyone seems to think Lachie Mitchell is quick based on him keeping up with Davies, but Rocket wasn't at full pace on that run, and Higgers has plenty of toe for a big bloke. Can't remember which game it was last year when he beat the two South African centres to the line for that try.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Yeah, I commented in the match thread last night I thought he was one of the Reds' best in the first half, and was taken to task for commending his seagulling. But it worked last night. I hope it was tactical. If he can show he has another side, the door is wide open to impress the right people for later in the season. He is a big unit, so here's hoping.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
AWH will make way for Horwill but I feel a bit sorry for him after his performance last night. Horwill has the starch we will need though. Him and Simmons look good for this one. I don't want big changes but a plausable option is swapping Holmes and Daley with both getting good game time. Daley's workrate could be handy in the second Half and Holmes better scrummaging in the first. I would also bring Chambers back.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Yes, he definitely seems like a fullback that comes into the line running good angles. Very very solid player - and adds size to the backline which Lucas unfortunately doesn't provide at fullback.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Everyone seems to think Lachie Mitchell is quick based on him keeping up with Davies, but Rocket wasn't at full pace on that run, and Higgers has plenty of toe for a big bloke.

Yeh Rocket definitely slowed down and just seemed to stride out in order to try and get a good bounce from the ball.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Yeah I wouldn't change the team to much. Would love to see Holmes start but can understand if Link keeps things the way they are. Harris made a huge impact off the bench against a team that wasn't in the game. I think he should stay on the bench for now.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I would like to see the following changes:

1. Harris in for Lucas - Lucas did not have his best game the Reds on Friday night and I'd like to see if Harris can maintain the level of play he showed against the Rebels for the full 80 mins. Also Lucas's versatility off the bench is unmatched.
2. Chambers in for Tapuai - chambers is a far better player than we've seen so far this season and he needs a couple of matches to rebuild some confidence in his play before the Reds hit the big teams of Stormers, Bulls & Tahs in consecutive weeks.
3. Horwill in for AWH - if fit, he needs to be on the park.
4. Schatz on to the bench for Quirk - Good opportunity to get Schatz back out there. Provides a bit more power around the breakdown which might be key if Brussouw is killing us.

The Reds should be far too good if they turn up focussed and determined to get the 5 points. I think the Tahs loss last night is awesome for the Reds as it really reinforced the message that you have to respect your opposition and earn the wins every week.

Looking forward to a big day out. XXXX Brewery tour and BBQ for lunch, arvo at the Reds, and evening watching the Chiefs v blues and Brumbies v Tahs matches at the pub. Should be good.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
bench for now. Why replace Lucas?

I just think Harris would bring more to the side than Lucas currently is. I like Lucas as a player and he has been solid if not spectacular this year. I've been thinking Harris should get more game time since he came on in the first round, so not just a knee jerk reaction to his great cameo on Friday. He also gives us a bit more size in the backline and gives the same kind of flexibility that is there with Lucas.

Johnny Blaze

Herbert Moran (7)
Harris @ 13??? Has he played there before??? Taps to the bench? would like to see him get some time @ 12 and another chance to show what he can do. A. Finger has been solid though.

Leroys form has been good so far wouldn't change the backrow. Would like to see Schatz on the bench. Holmes to start at LHP, Daley to the bench.

T

TOCC

I just think Harris would bring more to the side than Lucas currently is. I like Lucas as a player and he has been solid if not spectacular this year. I've been thinking Harris should get more game time since he came on in the first round, so not just a knee jerk reaction to his great cameo on Friday. He also gives us a bit more size in the backline and gives the same kind of flexibility that is there with Lucas.

Lucas has been a lynchpin in defence, topping the tackle count v the brumbies... Harris's defence is reportedly the weaknes part of his game..

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I didn't think taps showed enough to warrant being in the 22 as an outside centre when you have guys like chambers and morahan knocking on the door. I'll leave the selections to the experts, as its always hard to change the team round after such a big win.

Reds really need to turn it on and run the fatties round this week. I'm not sure who is reffing, but link should defiantly get in contact and have a chat about getting quick breakdown ball. Stopping brussow is a must so the lads will really need to put alot of effort into their speed and technique at the breakdown, I think it will be where the game is won or lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.