• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Cheetahs - 2011R06

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
The Reds will be much more succesful at breaking down the Cheetah defense and will win but not by much.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Beau Robinson may even Brousow out slightly. He was awesome though wasn't he! A hard man to stop.

T

TOCC

I would like to see:

9. Genia
10. QC (Quade Cooper)
11. Morahan
12. Fainga'a
13. Ioane
14. Morahan
15. Lucas

Ioane has scored 7 tries in 10 games at 13, as opposed to 5 tries in 27 games on the wing, the way the Reds are playing at the moment, its a waste having someone of Digby's ability out on the wing when he isnt seeing enough ball. Surely if you are going to take the risk of starting Tap's at 13, you could at least give Ioane a shot there.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
I would like to see:

9. Genia
10. QC (Quade Cooper)
11. Morahan
12. Fainga'a
13. Ioane
14. Morahan
15. Lucas

Ioane has scored 7 tries in 10 games at 13, as opposed to 5 tries in 27 games on the wing, the way the Reds are playing at the moment, its a waste having someone of Digby's ability out on the wing when he isnt seeing enough ball. Surely if you are going to take the risk of starting Tap's at 13, you could at least give Ioane a shot there.

Mate we know Morahan is good, but covering both wings....? Guessing you meant Davies.

T

TOCC

I think the stark difference between the 'form reds' team of 2010 and the team so far this season is the ball retention and continuity rugby..

Two of QLD's best performances of 2010 were against the Bulls and Crusaders where the statistics highlighted the Reds ability to retain the ball, and play multi-phase rugby. They are yet to find there straps in 2011, probably due to the slightly rejigged forward pack and adapting to life without Braid who was a lynchpin in this department, Robinson seems to be building into that role slowly, and i think other players like Slipper are rising to the occasion as well.

T

TheTruth

AWH will make way for Horwill but I feel a bit sorry for him after his performance last night. Horwill has the starch we will need though. Him and Simmons look good for this one. I don't want big changes but a plausable option is swapping Holmes and Daley with both getting good game time. Daley's workrate could be handy in the second Half and Holmes better scrummaging in the first. I would also bring Chambers back.

Agree Ruggo with Holmes option and Horwill but would leave Taps for another week - maybe stck Chambers and Lucas on bench with
Harris at 15.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
If both Horwill and Schatz are fit this week, the forward selections will be interesting. Liked Samo off the bench last week and reckon he should stay put. Hopefully Horwill plays at lock, so maybe AWH and Samo on the bench and one of the young tyro's to have a break this week?

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
15. Lucas
14. Davies
13. Ioane
12. Fainga'a
11. Toua
10. Cooper
9. Genia
8. Houston
7. Robinson
6. Higgers
5. Simmons
4. Horwill
3. Slipper
2. Fainga'a
1. Daley

16. Hanson
17. Holmes
18. Humphries
19. Samo
20. Gill
21. Harris
22. Morahan

That will be it I think.

T

TheTruth

15. Lucas
14. Davies
13. Ioane
12. Fainga'a
11. Toua
10. Cooper
9. Genia
8. Houston
7. Robinson
6. Higgers
5. Simmons
4. Horwill
3. Slipper
2. Fainga'a
1. Daley

16. Hanson
17. Holmes
18. Humphries
19. Samo
20. Gill
21. Harris
22. Morahan

That will be it I think.

Are Toua and Van still injured.

If so, then like to see Harris for Lucas, Morahan run on, Holmes for Daley, and Hanson for Saaia (after 20 or 30 minutes) - Samo brings so much to the bench

Pretty good side either way but the boys just need to come out to play hard and fast rugby

T

TOCC

Are Toua and Van still injured.

If so, then like to see Harris for Lucas, Morahan run on, Holmes for Daley, and Hanson for Saaia (after 20 or 30 minutes) - Samo brings so much to the bench

Pretty good side either way but the boys just need to come out to play hard and fast rugby

im glad you arent coach of the Reds then...

Holmes isn't the prodigal son of scrummaging that people seem to think he is and i believe its debatelable whether he is even a better scrummager then Daley, he offers even less around the park..

It doesnt make sense to sub a player after 20min unless he is performing abysmally, if its purely a tacitcal substitution to give more exposure to Hanson then you would make it at half time at least.

T

TheTruth

im glad you arent coach of the Reds then...

Holmes isn't the prodigal son of scrummaging that people seem to think he is and i believe its debatelable whether he is even a better scrummager then Daley, he offers even less around the park..

It doesnt make sense to sub a player after 20min unless he is performing abysmally, if its purely a tacitcal substitution to give more exposure to Hanson then you would make it at half time at least.

IMO Holmes is a better scrummager than Daley - and that seems to be reflected in games so far. Also think he is a bit more mobile around the field.

am also glad I am not the coach.

maybe you are right about half time sub - my point was that I would like to see Hanson get more time to evaluate him directly with Saaia

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Andries Strauss and Frans Viljoen out injured. Barry Geel and Louw on their way to Aus. Big ask for the Tin Ears. Last year after they draw against the Chief they were a different team, hope they will repeat that.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'm backing the Reds to win this by 20+.

Congratulations to the Cheetahs for their win over the Waratahs but it's time for a reality check here. The Tahs were abysmal, could not have played any worse. No way, no how will the Reds put in a performance like that. If they want to make the finals, they cannot drop a game like this and Link will make sure they're all well aware of that. The Cheetahs have been further weakened through injury while the Reds will have players like Horwill coming back in and others are fighting to hold their spots for the big matches coming up.

The other big factor may well once again be the heat. This match is shaping up as "Sweatfest 2". Brisbane had what must have been close it's hottest day of the month today reaching 34.5C at 2pm. The match on Saturday kicks off at 2:40pm and the current forecast suggest it will be at or around 30c at kick off. If there's anything postive to take out of "Sweatfest 1" against the Force, it's that the Reds management and players will have a much better idea of their rehydration requirements. I wouldn't be surprised if Oosthuizen and Nel drop 4kgs each during the game and expect to see Davies, Morahan and Ioane simply running around the tired Cheetahs players forwards in the last 10 minutes of each half.

Go the Reds!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I'm backing the Reds to win this by 20+.

Congratulations to the Cheetahs for their win over the Waratahs but it's time for a reality check here. The Tahs were abysmal, could not have played any worse. No way, no how will the Reds put in a performance like that. If they want to make the finals, they cannot drop a game like this and Link will make sure they're all well aware of that. The Cheetahs have been further weakened through injury while the Reds will have players like Horwill coming back in and others are fighting to hold their spots for the big matches coming up.

The other big factor may well once again be the heat. This match is shaping up as "Sweatfest 2". Brisbane had what must have been close it's hottest day of the month today reaching 34.5C at 2pm. The match on Saturday kicks off at 2:40pm and the current forecast suggest it will be at or around 30c at kick off. If there's anything postive to take out of "Sweatfest 1" against the Force, it's that the Reds management and players will have a much better idea of their rehydration requirements. I wouldn't be surprised if Oosthuizen and Nel drop 4kgs each during the game and expect to see Davies, Morahan and Ioane simply running around the tired Cheetahs players forwards in the last 10 minutes of each half.

Go the Reds!
You'd be surprise to feel the Osfontein heat. That lot live from biltong.

L

Lachlan

Andries Strauss and Frans Viljoen out injured. Barry Geel and Louw on their way to Aus. Big ask for the Tin Ears. Last year after they draw against the Chief they were a different team, hope they will repeat that.
Reds by 15+. The Cheetah's will miss the big boot to move them up the field.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
How's the humidity pb? That's the real killer here.
No humidity, Durban the only SA city who have similiar conditions. The Tin Ears play well there for yonks. They have Dr Derick Coetzee , part of the 2007 WC team, on board and will have them well prepared. In fact they claimed they have never been better conditioned compare to the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.