• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Referee Comms Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Continuing with the recent trend of Referee specific articles on GAGR recently, here's on for the referees who post on this sensational forum.

What referee comms system have you used?
What are the benefits of it?
What system do you use regularly?
How do you find using comms?
Do you have any specific protocols etc that your association follows?

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I've only used comms as a touch judge.

I think the system is simply a UHF radio one, where all 3 are on the same channel. Which means you sometimes get interference.

The main benefit substitutions. It's a lot easier and calmer when you don't need to shout 50m across the field. Also, I think it just makes the ref out there more comfortable knowing he has more resources at disposal.

And I don't use them regularly enough to give meaningful input for the rest. I'm sure if some higher grade refs see this you will get interesting reports.

I've never used them before but I imagine if you take sportsears to the super15 games you will see how it's all used pretty quickly.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Never used them in my brief refereeing career, but I have seen how the Referee comms system works in some game DVD from schoolboy champs.

A great tool when used in conjunction with a video feed for self analysis, or Referee Coach mentoring purposes.

You don't need a full FoxSports multiple camera setup. One camera with a decent lens is good enough.

While probably a little expensive, perhaps this approach should be used for the initial field assessments of aspirant whistleblowers.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
What referee comms system have you used?
Used stuff ranging from 4 GME units on a Saturday to the stuff they use at Super Rugby level. The GME stuff works well if you know how to set it up, but it's sometimes a pain etc. The stuff at Super Rugby level is something else, it's crystal clear and even though it's bulky it's quite comfy to wear.

What are the benefits of it?
Helps with offside lines, patterns in play I am missing etc as I get constant input from my ARs. I am a referee who likes a lot of input and often in my DVDs I will have a conversation with the ARs about stuff at downtime.

What system do you use regularly?
Weekly.

How do you find using comms?
Weird at first but after about 5 games I am completely used to it.

Do you have any specific protocols etc that your association follows?
Premier 1s get the full kit and the best kit.
Premier 2s get a full kit if they have appointed ARs
Premier 3s get an open mic so the referee coach can listen to the referee
All others do without, unless it's an important game like finals or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.