• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Referee Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
snip

Angus Gardner was consistent and managed the game very well. Communicated well but wasn't dominated by the captains. Good form

gardner is quite good with the player management - examples include manly v uni when carter was always arking up to manly and warringah v wests the next week with the brett sheehan problems. i thought he was quite lenient with dunning - donnelly was smart to bring him off before he was forced to go off.

We are always very quick off the mark to get stuck into Sir, when we perceive he has had a bad day at the office.

How about a thread where we praise referees?
If he has had a bad day, then do not say anything. If Sir has impressed you, then leave some good feedback.

Like annoying runt halfbacks, Referees are a vital part of our game, and we can not enjoy the game played in heaven without them.

As most of my footy watching is either TV based, or with the Junior Age grades, I would like to nominate Costa Georgiadis for his officiating abilities.

Costa is the now a media personality from the SBS series Costa's Garden Odessey. Folks also refer to him as Jesus (for obvious reasons http://www.sbs.com.au/shows/costa/about/page/i/1/h/About/)

Most of the games I have seen him officiate in over the last 10 years have been upper age testosterone enhanced SJRU or Schoolboy games. Costa has a way to manage boys of this specific age group and channel their efforts towards the game and not each other. If we only had more referees like him .......

Please record good feedback on referees (international, junior, local, grade, Sydney, Melbourne, Darwin, Pilberra whatever level wherever) on this thread.

I hope it is not a short lived thread. There are plenty of good blokes out there keeping our game going.

thecow

Ward Prentice (10)
hey mate being a referee myself im quite critical of referees - especially the ones doing the high level games.

good ones ive seen at nsw level (these do not include 1st grade referees):

cal o'neill (top 2nd grade referee)
guy grinham
will houston (regular 2nd grade referee at only 22 years old)
matt kellahan
charles guyatt (only in his 2nd year at nsw, expecting top things from him)

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
I hear there's a newly qualified referee tearing it up in junior rugby around Sydney's North Shore that's showing a lot of promise. Could go a long way if he wasnt closer to collecting his pension than he was to growing pubes.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Costa is the now a media personality from the SBS series Costa's Garden Odessey. Folks also refer to him as Jesus. Most of the games I have seen him officiate in over the last 10 years have been upper age testosterone enhanced SJRU or Schoolboy games. Costa has a way to manage boys of this specific age group and channel their efforts towards the game and not each other. If we only had more referees like him...

Saw Costa for the first time yesterday at the junior grand finals which were all played at Concord. At first glance I thought it was Joseph of Aramathia, or somesuch. Impressive beard.

Pirates Colts very kindly gave up their allocated day on Concord Oval and played Parra at St Lukes Oval (the small oval over the back where Wests Juniors normally play) to let the juniors from all over Sydney play their GFs on Concord Oval. Other finals (plate, bowl, spoon, etc.) were played on the three back ovals over the road before the Pirates/Parra matches. A great day was had by all.

Thin Thighs

Ted Fahey (11)
Does not come much more grass roots than this.

Well done to the Pirates Colts for giving up their turf to make the day special for a bunch of kids in Sydney Juniors Comp. I am sure that it will remain special for ever for these little tikes.
More special for the little sods refereed by a bloke from the TV. Awesome Costa AKA Jesus, AKA Joseph of Aramathia.

ARU need to embrace the rugby playing kids more to grow the game. Forget about picking the eyes out of the GPS (sydney and Brisbane) system and calling it junior development. We digress to another thread however.

P

pitbull

If anyone could tell me the name of the referee in the kings newington game it would be much appreciated.
Out of the 6 gps games I attended he was by far the best and fairest

thecow

Ward Prentice (10)
If anyone could tell me the name of the referee in the kings newington game it would be much appreciated.
Out of the 6 gps games I attended he was by far the best and fairest

antony hastie. he also did scots v grammar, barker v cranbrook and waverley v knox, and i think is in contention for kentwell cup grand final

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Costa may be Jesus, but I think if I made a comeback would be the Michelin Man's slower, tubbier brother. Though the prospect of me making a comeback is still there. It brings back fond memories, though from memory my memories of the laws were always less certain. I applied a blancmange of about three or four different years of the laws and interpretations to my games. However my quality as a ref had been duly noted and I applied my craft to some of the more obscure yet original and fascinating lower school grades in the early morning...8am and 9 am or so. We generally got to break the dew on the grounds on those Saturday mornings. It was fun and I refereed a bunch of kids from the U/13's through to the Opens. I think the kids came toknow me...one of the memorable quotes I had from a captain of an lower grade open side was along the lines: "Sir, you have reffed us for five years and this is the first time you have been sober". Halcyon days. Though one ruling or understanding that confuses me tstill to these days was when a kick that was definitely going out hit a tree that was overhanging the field and then richoceted back into play. Amidst the confusion and uncertaintity I let the game continue as if nothing untoward had happened. Probably the wrong decision, but in the scheme of things and due to the undoubted importance of an U14F's Knox vs Riverview game I felt it fair to let the game flow...

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Referee Appointments for The Rugby Championship

See here for full detail
http://www.irb.com/mm/Document/Trai...621TOTheRugbyChampionship2012Appointments.pdf

or here
http://www.irb.com/newsmedia/mediaz...html#match+officials+named+rugby+championship

As it impacts on the Men in Gold

18 Aug Australia v New Zealand, ANZ Stadium, Sydney, Ref A. Rolland (IRFU), AR1 N. Owens (WRU), AR2 L. Van Der Merwe (SARU), TMO M. Goddard (ARU)

25 Aug New Zealand v Australia, Eden Park, Auckland, Ref N. Owens (WRU), AR1 A. Rolland (IRFU), AR2 L. Van Der Merwe (SARU), TMO B. Skeen (NZRU)

8 Sep Australia v South Africa, Patersons Stadium, Perth, Ref N. Owens (WRU), AR1 W. Barnes (RFU), AR2 G. Jackson (NZRU), TMO M. Goddard (ARU)

15 Sep Australia v Argentina, Skilled Park, Gold Coast, Ref W. Barnes (RFU), AR1 N. Owens (WRU), AR2 G. Jackson (NZRU), M. Goddard (ARU)

29 Sep South Africa v Australia, Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria, Ref A. Rolland (IRFU), AR1 R. Poite (FFR), AR2 G. Garner (RFU), TMO S. Veldsman (SARU)

6 Oct Argentina v Australia, Estadio Gigante de Arroyito, Rosario, Ref C. Joubert (SARU), AR1 J. Peyper (SARU), AR2 P. Gauzere (FFR), TMO UAR appt

20 Oct Bledisloe Cup, Australia v New Zealand, Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane, Ref C. Joubert (SARU), AR1 J. Peyper (SARU), AR2 L. Van Der Merwe (SARU), TMO M. Goddard (ARU)

Status
Not open for further replies.