1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Refereeing decisions

Discussion in 'Rugby Discussion' started by boyo, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Derpus Mark Ella (57)

Interesting to see the Egg chaser lads in agreement on Twitter, bout the forearm nonsense.
  2. Lindommer Andrew Slack (58)

Went back and watched a replay of the Japan/Ireland match, and slo-moed every penalty; can't fault Gardner's decisions. Angus does like to let a match flow and, in my opinion, Ireland could've copped a few more penalties. To be fair to Schmidt it might've looked differently live.
    yourmatesam and John S like this.
  3. Dctarget Peter Johnson (47)

Well WR disagree with you there, they axed Gardner from his original position as ref for England v Argentina. I think he's fine.
  4. waiopehu oldboy Tim Horan (67)

Two Italians combine to drop Vermeulen on his head, one gets Red but the other gets nothing. Why not? Surely it's at least Yellow for putting DV in a dangerous position even if it was the other guy who dropped him on his head.
  5. Mr Wobbly Colin Windon (37)

"That is correct"

Would not be surprised if #17 finds himself cited.
  6. formerflanker Alan Cameron (40)

17 will probably argue all he did was to lift Vermeulen straight up. It all went to shit because of 1's actions.
    yourmatesam likes this.
  7. waiopehu oldboy Tim Horan (67)

8. Proud Pig Fred Wood (13)

Watching the game I thought they both should have got a red. I know it kills the game as a contest but those sort of tackles are exactly the reason we have red cards.
    It was an unbelievably dangerous tackle.
    They should both play no further part in the WC.
  9. molman Alex Ross (28)

Agree. It could have really hurt Vermeulen. I'm just happy for him that he wasn't.
  10. molman Alex Ross (28)

You've got to feel for the refs as people. I thought Nigel Owens has his own little moments in the Eng v Arg game.
  11. KOB1987 Mark Ella (57)

The top line of the fucking framework needs to read:

DID IT LOOK DELIBERATE

Yes: worst case red
    No: worst case yellow

Then work through the rest of the framework and introduce all the mitigating factors etc
  12. molman Alex Ross (28)

After watching the ENG v ARG game and reflecting on Coleman in the earlier game and even Arnold in the past, I was curious if taller players are statistically receiving more high tackle related penalties? it would also be interesting to know what the height differential was on average between players. I look at Farrell in his sitting on a seat shape and just think the margins between a big hit and high tackle have just got to be so fine for these big boys. Also, as an aside, why wasn't there a HIA for Farrell?

[IMG]
  13. Dan54 Paul McLean (56)

Got a question if Italians end up with both players being suspended, are they allowed to be replaced, I thought not. Just both are tighthead props so....
  14. molman Alex Ross (28)

I thought they could only by permenantly dropping another squad member?
  15. Dan54 Paul McLean (56)

Could be mate, but I thought it had to be through injury, I could well be wrong though, seem to recall that Martin Leslie couldn't be replaced when he was suspended for Scotland in 2011.
  16. Strewthcobber Paul McLean (56)

I imagine they'd have to ask for and would then be given dispensation to drop another squad member to ensure they could meet their trained front row requirents.
    Dan54 likes this.
  17. KOB1987 Mark Ella (57)

Correct
  18. molman Alex Ross (28)

So after the NZ vs NAM game, what do people think about these high tackles? I've gotta say those were appalling calls.

Correct by the letter of the law.. but seriously.
  19. Slim 293 George Gregan (70)

I have no issue with them - contact with the head, with the mitigating circumstance being that the attacking player was going low so reduced to yellow cards.

On both occasions the second defender is only coming in with the cheap shot, and the onus should be on them to avoid the head.
  20. molman Alex Ross (28)

.. but how low is it reasonable to expect a defender to get?