• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Refereeing decisions

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
World Rugby have released a decision making framework for high tackles. I think it's pretty good.

There's a video of it here:

https://laws.worldrugby.org/en/guidelines

Or you can download it as a pdf here:

https://laws.worldrugby.org/downloads/2019-PlayerWelfare-HighTackleDecision_EN.pdf

Looks like they've decided Farrell's hit at the end of November's Ringinland v SA Test meets the shoulder charge threshold:

1559084321503.jpg

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/i...rrells-ugly-hit-as-example-of-shoulder-charge

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
SANZAAR won't be adopting the new guidelines until next season:

This is pretty dumb considering nothing has actually changed. It's just a decision making tool to help you make the correct decision.

Ultimately these are the conversations that the referee, assistants and TMO should be having in their head already when determining what the outcome should be for a high tackle.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It will be interesting to see if the under 20s experiment with expanded benches gets translated to test rugby etc. in the near future. You would think there is a reasonable chance it will.

Will it change much in terms of coaching and substitutions? Certainly it removes any tactical selections of a 6:2 bench and any risks you take in not having great cover for certain positions. On that basis it simplifies the coaching job in team selections.

What will change in terms of in game substitutions? Coaches will still probably keep one replacement up their sleeve until very late in the game in case there is an injury but how about the other 7?

Presumably the front row and halfback will remain as four of the eight subs used in most circumstances due to their workrate/physical nature.

Will we see more instances where 7 out of the 8 forwards end up getting replaced or could it even swing the other way with more tactical backline subs?

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
It will be interesting to see if the under 20s experiment with expanded benches gets translated to test rugby etc. in the near future. You would think there is a reasonable chance it will.

Will it change much in terms of coaching and substitutions? Certainly it removes any tactical selections of a 6:2 bench and any risks you take in not having great cover for certain positions. On that basis it simplifies the coaching job in team selections.

What will change in terms of in game substitutions? Coaches will still probably keep one replacement up their sleeve until very late in the game in case there is an injury but how about the other 7?

Presumably the front row and halfback will remain as four of the eight subs used in most circumstances due to their workrate/physical nature.

Will we see more instances where 7 out of the 8 forwards end up getting replaced or could it even swing the other way with more tactical backline subs?

Surely it is just in place because of the tournament format. The boys played 5 games in 18 days. Mens RWC2019 if Australia make the final will play 7 games over 43 days.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Surely it is just in place because of the tournament format. The boys played 5 games in 18 days. Mens RWC2019 if Australia make the final will play 7 games over 43 days.

I've been trying to find more background on it but it would be rare for an experimental law to be brought in for a tournament like this without the intention that it is to be trialled further with the potential to be rolled out at all levels.

You still only get to use 23 players in a matchday squad. I'm not sure it was trialled on the basis of the short turnarounds.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm hoping it's just an exemption to account for the U20's condensed schedule, and certainly don't want to see it expanded. If anything they should be cutting back on the number of substitutes. Make those fat bastards up front play for longer and open up the late-game for the backs.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This was in the NRL last night and I expect the suspension will be substantial but still less than half of what you'd get in rugby.

Surely this would be 12+ weeks in rugby. Absolutely disgraceful.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
This was in the NRL last night and I expect the suspension will be substantial but still less than half of what you'd get in rugby.

Surely this would be 12+ weeks in rugby. Absolutely disgraceful.

Can they review that sort of stuff in NRL? Why isn't that just a straight red card?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Can they review that sort of stuff in NRL? Why isn't that just a straight red card?

It's insane. He clearly should have been sent off. The fact that it only goes on report and that the benefit the Tigers got out of it was 2 points from the penalty is ridiculous.

The video referees in the bunker should clearly interject in that sort of situation and suggest to the referee that further action needs to be taken. It's not like it was dubious. Also, that same player, George Burgess got a 4 week suspension last season for eye gouging.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Question about the TJ Perenara knock on call late in the Crusaders v Hurricanes semi: was Sam Whitelock entitled to reach through the formed ruck and 'contest' the ball as TJP went to clear it? Which was the correct call:

1. Knock on TJP
2. Knock on SW
3. Penalty against SW

?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Question about the TJ Perenara knock on call late in the Crusaders v Hurricanes semi: was Sam Whitelock entitled to reach through the formed ruck and 'contest' the ball as TJP went to clear it? Which was the correct call:

1. Knock on TJP
2. Knock on SW
3. Penalty against SW

?

Was talking about that with the old man. If you're an International Coach I'd like to publicly seek clarification on that. Because if what was paid is the correct interpretation, we're in for a messy ruck time at World Cup. If it isn't, then its just Crusaders doing Crusader things and Crusaders officiating happening to enable it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The only way Whitelock is ok is if the referee is suggesting that he still has rights at the ball due to a ruck not being formed. It's touch and go here. Whitelock is the first to arrive, the Hurricanes player has not cleaned him out, but Whitelock doesn't have his hands on the ball at the time that the Hurricanes player arrives so he shouldn't then have a right to go for it.

Otherwise he needs to come from behind the last feet from the point in time when Perenara picks up the ball to be onside to play at it.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Whitelock is onside at the ruck. Doesn't he remain onside once the ruck is over?

Was it a TJP knock-on or did he ping the other Hurricane for accidental offside (I don't have audio so ref might explain this?)