• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Relocating the Rebels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
Thinking this through, this thread probably doesn't belong in NRC. I put it here because of Hutchison's involvement.

How does one move a thread?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Nothing from the Rebels or from the ARU. Rick Hutchinson just saying he's interested when the Rebels fall over but only if the ARU reduce player salaries.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
As Sully says.

For me, it's not about whether this is likely to happen. It's not. It's about the very public speculation about the financial future of Super Rugby clubs and the ARU.

And I'm not sure why I don't see the paywall.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Aru will let the brumbies fail before the rebels. Potential market share of rebels given Melbourne population is too good. I can see Canberra selling a few games to the NSW country in the near term.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I don't think the ARU will let any team fall over, they need as much coverage as they can get. Melbourne isa sporting cash cow, the Rebels jsut need to exploit it a little more. If any scenario is to play out first it will be the Brumbies that play in NSW, then relocate to country NSW. Besides, you take a MASSIVE gamble plonking a team from somewhere into a completely different region; who's to say it won't be complete disaster. I would wonder how hard it would be to attract a loyal fanbase, sponsors etc... You would have to locate them in a regional centre like the Woolongong or Newcastle.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Very irresponsible of you to link something from Uncle Rupert without also providing the lead section or a summary of the contents of the article. :)

Especially since Uncle Rupert fixed the Google new workaround and we can't read for free.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
As Sully says.

For me, it's not about whether this is likely to happen. It's not. It's about the very public speculation about the financial future of Super Rugby clubs and the ARU.

And I'm not sure why I don't see the paywall.

Is it so difficult to copy & paste the article in the thread?

:oops:

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Especially since Uncle Rupert fixed the Google new workaround and we can't read for free.

Actually, sometimes it still works, Google "melbourne rebels could move to regional nsw and qld":

Melbourne Rebels could move to regional NSW and Queensland

Bret Harris December 20, 2014​
. . . Country Eagles owner Rick Hutchison has devised a plan to relocate the Melbourne Rebels . . . if the financially struggling franchise folds.
The Rebels have been supported financially by the ARU since the departure of a private consortium . . . and there is a question mark over the franchise’s long-term viability.​
While the ARU . . . will continue to back the Rebels next year, it acknowledged its financial support of the 2011 expansion franchise was unsustainable in the long-term, which means it will have to become self-reliant to survive.​
Hutchison, the major private equity investor in the NSW Country NRC franchise, was interested . . . but would not operate a team in Melbourne.​
. . .​

Alternatively, what about Hutchison taking some equity in the Brumbies instead? They also need a boost and it might be a better fit and less of a gamble.

A few games a year in big regional cities, with the rest still in Canberra.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
A Super Rugby team touring country regions for more than 1 or 2 matches a season doesn't sound like a good idea to me. The NRC is a good level for that sort of team. Hutchison should focus on building up the Eagles before even thinking about a similar set up in Super Rugby.

Melbourne is a much more important market and the Rebels just need more time and a bit of success. It took the Swans 10+ years to become really successful in Sydney, and now look how well supported they are.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
. . .​

Alternatively, what about Hutchison taking some equity in the Brumbies instead? They also need a boost and it might be a better fit and less of a gamble.

A few games a year in big regional cities, with the rest still in Canberra.

And could also tie in with relocating the NSW Country NRC team to Queanbeyan to provide a second link from the JID to the NRC. Would also give the Eagles a legitimate country base.

Status
Not open for further replies.