• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Relocating the Rebels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
I think the ARU would let the Rebels die before they moved them. Especially if NSWC want the ARU to centralise (pay for) player contracts despite the franchise being 'private', they're really not gaining much out of the sale in this scenario save for minor operational costs. At least if the Rebels died and weren't replaced they can cut 1/5 of player expenditure.

The Rebs definitely need to keep getting their house in order - and they're a damn sight better at it now than they were in 2011 - but this wouldn't be a story if the ARU weren't as financially shambolic as they are. As long as they can keep proving they're on a path to breaking even, it becomes less and less of an option for the ARU to go 'last in first out'.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
The Rebels would not actually be moved because the ARU would still own the licence for 5 Super Rugby franchises. The Rebels would exist no longer and the ARU would sell the licence to a brand new team, ie combined country, Western Sydney.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
A Super Rugby team touring country regions for more than 1 or 2 matches a season doesn't sound like a good idea to me. The NRC is a good level for that sort of team. Hutchison should focus on building up the Eagles before even thinking about a similar set up in Super Rugby.

Melbourne is a much more important market and the Rebels just need more time and a bit of success. It took the Swans 10+ years to become really successful in Sydney, and now look how well supported they are.

If the ARU let the Rebels fall over, they're sillier than I thought.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I realise that long-term planning and strategy aren't the ARU's strong suit, but surely they even get the importance of Melbourne don't they?:rolleyes:

I think they understand the importance of survival. That necessitates all the franchises being self-sustaining.

Strategy, planning, all that nice stuff implies that there are some choices. There aren't many choices when the ship is taking on water and disaster is imminent.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I think they understand the importance of survival. That necessitates all the franchises being self-sustaining.

Strategy, planning, all that nice stuff implies that there are some choices. There aren't many choices when the ship is taking on water and disaster is imminent.

You always have choices and you always need a plan, even if you are on a sinking ship you plan on how to get off.;) Or you could plan on saving the ship by energising the crew (grassroots) to man the pumps, instead of locking the crew (grass roots) in the hold and watch the ship go down while the officers (ARU) head off in the lifeboat.:)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
It's fairly clear that Pulver is out of his depth and Hawker's close personal friendship will prevent the board from questioning Pulver let alone sacking him.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I'm not sure that Hawker adds any more value than Bill.
The only thing I can remember him saying publicly,is firstly lauding the job JON did,and secondly announcing that after conducting a world wide search he found the best man for the job was his close mate.
Given the state of the joint when JON left,and Pulver's apparent attempts to destroy the grassroots are proceeding unhindered.
I suggest that Hawker is not up to the job either.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
They're both cut from the same cloth and I agree that Hawker hasn't shown any indication of being the man for the job.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Is there another thread on this topic, I can't really comment because I don't know the infrastructure or the plans - I thought Train without A Station my have assisted with more Intel.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
To be fair, the item in the OP has been discussed and there's unlikely to be any follow up on this story for a while.

So there shouldn't be a problem turning it to other purposes while we wait for more news to come through.

We could fill the gap by making this another Pulver whinge thread.

And what about anyone looking for that perfect last-minute gift?

AaeWrLt.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.