1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Renewable energy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by boyo, May 12, 2014.

1. Gnostic Mark Ella (57)

People taking their lead from question time maybe? :)
  2. boyo Mark Ella (57)

3. boyo Mark Ella (57)

4. boyo Mark Ella (57)

5. boyo Mark Ella (57)

6. boyo Mark Ella (57)

7. boyo Mark Ella (57)

8. boyo Mark Ella (57)

Ruggo likes this.
  9. boyo Mark Ella (57)

10. Pfitzy Tim Horan (67)

I was at Carcoar Dam today - near Blayney in the central tablelands.

Big wind farm across the way, and my brother and I took a short drive to get a closer look.

How the fuck anyone can say those things are too noisy or ugly is beyond me. What magnificent machines!
  11. Pfitzy Tim Horan (67)

Check that shit out - can get within a couple of hundred metres of that sucker.

Attached Files:

12. Ruggo Mark Ella (57)

Ugly my arse. I think they are a thing of beauty, looking at man use his intelligence for something good and positive.

Joe Hockey is an idiot because they look a damn sight better than a coal pit.
    ChargerWA likes this.
  13. Pfitzy Tim Horan (67)

And how good does that Tahs sticker look on the Pfitzymobile?!!
    cyclopath likes this.
  14. Ruggo Mark Ella (57)

Just when I was starting to think you were a man of taste.
  15. Pfitzy Tim Horan (67)

Me? I'm piss-elegant!
  16. Ruggo Mark Ella (57)

With the exception of that bloody Tahs sticker on your car.
    wilful likes this.
  17. wilful Larry Dwyer (12)

I'm happy to accept that wind turbines aren't for everywhere, and aren't every ones taste. I think wind energy, up to about 30% of the total energy supply, is the best thing for Australia, and this means we can and should have a shit load more wind farms, they are going to inevitably be on many many hillsides around the country in the future. But they shouldn't be along the Great Ocean Road, or other places of outstanding natural beauty.

If you think they're ugly, well that's not the worst thing in the world, I can accept that, but they are a necessary consequence of using electricity without pollution. They are a LOT more attractive than a landscape devastated by bushfires or droughts, or even open cut coal mines.

And anyone that thinks they cause any health impacts whatsoever, well you are a nutter, a crackpot, a crank, a fool.
    boyo likes this.
  18. Runner Nev Cottrell (35)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

As the Europeans about the poor dead birds if they like them.
  19. wilful Larry Dwyer (12)

Runner, poor dead birds, what are you talking about? there are a few critical flyways for endangered species where it wouldn't be good to build a windfarm, but apart form that the whole issue is vastly overstated, and you wouldn't get a rational conservation biologist that didn't recognise the tradeoff that was occurring, and support any action to reduce climate change, which is going to do a fuck load more damage to avian populations than any turbine strikes.
    ChargerWA and Ruggo like this.
  20. Runner Nev Cottrell (35)

Ah! But a frog colony can stop a highway which speed transport along and saves on C02 gas.

Sounds like selective ecological protection.

I don.t like a whole lot of the alternatives as I have said before and turbines are another classic example of an inefficient alternative being subsidies to make us all feel good.