• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Richie Benaud RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
He set the standard for Cricket Commentators that not many achieve.

He was the voice of cricket.

RIP.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I can't remember a time in my life when he wasn't calling the game. One hundred percent the sound track of my summers growing up.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Less is more.

He came from the commentary mindset that says "If you can't add to the picture, say nothing".

He didn't feel the need to interrupt silence with an inane comment - something that all commentators need to heed.

Something to remember Richie by the inimitable Twelfth Man:-

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
My favourite cricket commentator. RIP Ritchie. :(

Agree with Boyo. I do like a variety of different types of commentary but you definitely need a calm no BS straight shooter for some balance & for me Ritchie was it. He has left some big shoes to fill.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Saw my first test match in the summer of 1962/63 at the SCG when Richie's team tussled with Ted Dexter's Pommy tourists. As a small country boy used to baked hard brown summer paddocks the bright green cricket oval was an eye opener. And the cricket, it was spell-bounding; I was hooked. That day my younger brother had quite a turn, I thought at the time he was bunging it one and said to our father, "bugger him, this cricket's fantastic". We later found out it was his first reaction to a crustacean allergy.....

Benaud was an outstanding leader of men and left his legacy with Ian Chappell and, later, Shane Warne. His practice of saying nothing when there was nothing to be added to the shot on screen stands as a valuable lesson to the chattering classes.

Status
Not open for further replies.