• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Richie Mccaw retires

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
It's a sad day for my stubby cooler.

But other than that I'm ok with his decision. A good time to finish up.

How long until he's officially "Sir Richie" then? Saturday?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well we knew it was coming, and have to say I may need counselling, Jonah dying yesterday and Richie retiring today. Richie has retired with the same class way he has done most things I have seen him involved with, and with a fairly good understatement that he felt he always played fairly well. I know especially among Aus rugby fans there are a lot of haters, but I doubt it worries him, and my opinion is he the best player I have seen strap on a pair of rugby boots - bar none! He is a top bloke too and like the way he says he not sad but excited getting into flying helicopters etc, bet he bloody good at that too!!

Incredibly proud to have him leading the the team I have supported wholeheartedly all my life!

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Undeniable stats and achievements. They've earned him a place at toward the top of the history books no doubt.

But I can't say

a) I really have any personal warmth toward him. His personality is largely wooden, and when he's not, seems vindictive (Quade episode) and introspective (lack of credit or respect to other teams and laws)

b) that he's been the best in his possie for a while now. VERY good, but not best. His impact has been more on leading ABs.

I realise that makes me a cranky old fart. So be it.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
There isn't a lot to say really. For me Michael Jones was always the greatest but he'll have to play 6 now. Ritchie embodies many of the great traits that I love to see in rugby players: courage, hardness, skill, humility and leadership. Pretty good attributes for life in general I would have thought. Enjoy your retirement champ and best of luck in your future endeavours.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Simply a wonderful player whose talent was clearly demonstrated by the 100's of page on here complaining about his dirty, cheating ways

And even worse, he seems like a good bloke as well

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
So he is going to become a helicopter pilot.

I'd never fly with the dude. He's sure to break every friggin' rule in the book even before takeoff.

Bye Richie. Not going to miss you. Sorry. Great player, no doubt.

Who's goign to keep Owen Franks company on the wrong side of the ruck now? I guess someone will step up.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Great player, huge influence on Rugby and huge role in the way the All Blacks transformed from 2002-3 into a hard-nosed, well-drilled and bloody tough to beat unit. I agree with Gagger to a point, his leadership was his biggest asset over the length of his career, even when his own fitness or play may have dipped at times. Not that he was ever far from the pointy-end! Good luck to him in the air, and whatever else he does next.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I would say for all round ability and consistency, he is the best rugby player I've seen, and just marginally better than George Smith as a No 7. I know he pushed the limits more often than not, but his influence on practically every game he played was largely reflected in the results the ABs achieved during his time in and at the helm of the side.

There will be a little more hope for the Wallabies when they meet the ABs in future.

Colin Windon

Herbert Moran (7)
A great player and role model for our game. Pushed the limits but what top class loose forward doesn't.

Shame he wasn't born over this side of the ditch although we aren't that short of 7's.

Greatest memory for me was his face when he gave away that contentious penalty for Foley to bring home the Tahs in 2014.

I am sure any NZ'er could counter with 2 World Cups and 10 Bleds that the GOAT captained in his career.

Well played Sir Richie!

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Did he play in all the past 13, or did he miss any through injury? Can't remember.

There were 36 Bledisloe matches from 2003-2015, with McCaw playing in 34 of them. He missed one match each in 2008 and 2013.

On a related note, with McCaw now retired, I believe there isn't a single playing All Black who has ever lost a Bledisloe series. Not entirely sure how long it will remain like that right now, so I shall enjoy it while it lasts.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
How long until he's officially "Sir Richie" then? Saturday?

When he first turned it down after RWC 2011 I, probably like most, thought it was to do with not being a "Sir" in a team of "misters" but after his most recent comments I'm not so sure:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...s-knighthood-prospect-makes-him-uncomfortable

Or maybe he doesn't want to be "Sir Richie McCaw MP (Moana Pasifika)" in the Gov't of "The Rt Hon John Key"? Can't have the new kid in the House outranking the PM, can we :)

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
2059deef222ce6087345b856a12b1746.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
What was actually 'vindictive' about McCaw's part in the Quade episode?
The part where he encouraged the crowd to boo him.

The part where he never had a genuine compliment for the opposition team.

Don't get me wrong, he is undoubtedly the greatest of the modern era and probably shoe in for GOAT status, but beyond his excellence he's not necessarily easy to like.

But I don't expect Kiwis to be able to see that. Just like in my eyes the Aus cricket team never cross the line with their sledging.