• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RIP L Watkins

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Hockey Community mourns loss of Lizzie Watkins

Australian Hockey Player passed away after being hit by a ball during a match
May 7th, 2012

FIH is deeply saddened to learn of an on-field incident in the Australian State League which claimed the life of Lizzie Watkins.
The 24-year-old North Coast Raiders defender was hit on the head by the ball deflected off her own stick and passed away on the way to the hospital.
The International Hockey Federation wishes to extend its condolences to the Watkins family and the Australian hockey community for their tragic loss
Really sad news and condolenses to her family.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
That is sad news Paarl, sounded like it was a freak accident. It was in the top league too so the ball would've been going at a quite a pace.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
That is sad news Paarl, sounded like it was a freak accident. It was in the top league too so the ball would've been going at a quite a pace.
Yep you hear many rugby supporters telling you hockey is a soft sport. The speed the ball travel makes it a very dangerous one , not even Steyn can generate the same speed with a softer smaller ball.

Always sad to read something like this.

never played the sport myself but my kids loves it and I love walking line and watching them plays.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
never played the sport myself but my kids loves it and I love walking line and watching them plays.

Do you ever worry about your kids playing hockey, PB? But I guess playing rugby offer the same sort of worry as well...

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Do you ever worry about your kids playing hockey, PB? But I guess playing rugby offer the same sort of worry as well...
Nah I dont worry when they play, I just know and saw many a time when players get hitted. Specially the lower age groups in hockey is dangerous, most of the young ones dunno the right technics of tackling or defending and will run pouint blank into shots. A hockey stick is like a traditional weapon for our lot and I saw many stitches and blood running when kids get hit by stick or ball. Deflections is unfortunate, no way you know where the ball go from them. Its all within the laws of hockey, in rugby the laws do protect the player much more.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
We use to play hockey on the concrete tennis court at school with old plastic hockey clubs, and a scruffed up old plastic cricket ball.

It was more dangerous that any game of rugby I ever played.

RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.