• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RIP Test Rugby on the Gold Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
To be frank I think it's a wider societal thing. Whether it's economical strains or social (lack of spare time etc) but it's part of a broader trend. Most sports and events and activities have reported down scaled crowds over the last 12-18 months.

That makes the most sense to me. I understand the ARU has bottom line issues and in the real world that's a big thing as we all know. It is a catch 22 and we need a fiscally responsible response that also bridges the branding issue. When the biggest markets are copping it, it only becomes a bigger concern.

On the branding front, the ARU needs a policy of no oval stadiums where the host city has a viable rectangular stadium. NO BLOODY DOCKLANDS in other words. I don't know if it is doable for temporary increased capacity at NIB in Perth.

T

TOCC

On the branding front, the ARU needs a policy of no oval stadiums where the host city has a viable rectangular stadium. NO BLOODY DOCKLANDS in other words. I don't know if it is doable for temporary increased capacity at NIB in Perth.

I agree with this, unless the crowd expectation is say 50% larger then the rectangular stadium capacity then the game should be played at the rectangular stadium.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I don't know if it is doable for temporary increased capacity at NIB in Perth.

Current capacity just over 20K apparently. Question needs to be asked: what's the hard benefit of expanding nib?

Are there any other rectangular grounds of note in perth?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Docklands should be used for England, New Zealand and possibly South Africa. Everyone else should use AAMI.

Lions are the ones I have.. a dilemma for. The tour set Sport Attendance records for both Suncorp and Etihad, and at least a Rugby attendance at ANZ. We'd have to use an Oval pitch either way... Why not the G?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Lions are the ones I have.. a dilemma for. The tour set Sport Attendance records for both Suncorp and Etihad, and at least a Rugby attendance at ANZ. We'd have to use an Oval pitch either way. Why not the G?

No dilemma - if you're going to use Etihad, you might as well near-double the crowd and throw it at the G.

You're an ideas man, Steve

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It's really hard to build any sort of narrative around the home Argie test, and I think wherever you take it the crowds will be a bit short of what they could be.

The last couple of years we play them off the back of going 2-0 down in the Bledisloe, then playing the Saffas. The big games of the year are therefore over, and our RC hopes are already shot. So what does this game mean? What are we playing for?

This is one of the real problems. I can't see this fixture getting much better until it's either rescheduled (would be a nice lead in to the Bled), or we beat the ABs and go into the game a live RC chance.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
I'm biased but Newcastle definitely needs to be part of discussion for future hosting rights of games like this. We got over 20k in the worst weather I've ever watched a game in against Scotland on a Tuesday night, and over 20k for the Lions vs Country last year, again on a Tuesday night. If it wasn't freezing and raining sideways, the Scotland test would've gone close to filling the place. 33k capacity is perfect for games like these.

T

TOCC

I think Newcastle deserves it's opportunity also, I'm not sure if it will get it in 2015 due to the reduced number of test matches in a RWC year, but 2016 might be a good opportunity.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I do think Canberra deserves another go. One reason they were shunned is that their last Test drew 15,000 (admittedly against Fiji who don't draw high crowds).

The Brumbies average 13,000. Would they get 20,000+ for Argentina?

We'd like to think so.

It'd make it a lot easier with their new stadium proposal, but that's now a fair way off for the ACT. As said earlier, the ARU is still bound and signed on the dotted line to play one more Test on the Gold Coast sometime in the next few years. Maybe they're the ones to get a side like Fiji next time.

Yeah, you can't go comparing what the Brumbies would get with that of the Wallabies, because the Wallabies are obviously a much bigger deal...............

It would be like suggesting that Sydney can't hold Bledisloe matches because of the poor Tahs' crowds............

Also, the Raiders get much smaller crowds than the Brumbies, yet the rugby league "test" held there the other year was a sell-out...............

Canberra drew a lot of flack for that low crowd against Fiji, yet they drew in over 22,000 the year prior for the first test against Italy.............

To put things into perspective, only 25,000 fans showed up in Perth for the Springboks test last week............

If they held that match at Canberra Stadium they'd probably have to put in extra seating.

AdelaideRugby84

Chris McKivat (8)
I know it will never happen on a regular basis with TV being king, more day games on a Sunday afternoon or a Saturday afternoon would be nice. Crowds always seem to enjoy the afternoon games and it promotes more open rugby as the ball isn't as slippery due to the night dew especially in winter.

T

Train Without a Station

It's the age old question. If a great game of rugby happened in the afternoon and nobody saw it on TV, did it ever really happen?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
They should definitely look at playing the Argentina game on a Saturday afternoon next year.

The TV ratings are too poor to make it essential for a primetime slot on Saturday night.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
For those criticising the lack of Brisbane supporters going down, there's a lot more too it than simply being "slack". We're smack bang in the middle of School rugby (AIS I know finished a couple weeks ago, just unsure about junior club), so the families that would be attending games have been out and about for a large portion of the day. Then you're wanting them to drive an hour or so right around dinner time to the GC then drive back another hour, meaning a lot of these people aren't getting home till Midnight.

With young kids, this really isn't feasible from a logistical perspective not to mention the shit fight it would be to get in and out plus eat.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
In regard to the disappointing crowd,let's remember that the weather was not ideal and TV viewing numbers were even more disappointing.
If people in Other cities can't be bothered to watch it on TV,then logic suggests that any venue would struggle to attract a satisfactory crowd.
I was there front row.. So much cheaper then suncorp and anyone saying the weather was a problem is full of shit. Hardly got wet, probably got more beer on me then rain.

I had heard 18k would show and that be bad, then heard maybe 22k.. But seriously 14k is fucked and the goldie shouldn't get another Test. Not Brisbane fault not anyone's.. But everyone's fault..

I was wearing my jersey down there had few comments and said yeah be great you going.. To the errr ahhh no I'm watching the Broncos vs Cowboys at home..But I hope they win..Go Izzy.... sigh

T

Train Without a Station

Tomikin, he has a good point. Nobody turned up on the GC, and nobody tuned in anywhere else. Hard to see how any other city where nobody could be bothered watching on TV would have drawn a big crowd.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
As I said earlier, lots of Kiwis live on the Goldy. No doubt some of them might have attended, except for the fact that the Darkness were also playing.

T

Train Without a Station

With all fairness, the Gold Coast is home to some of the biggest fuckwit Kiwis you will ever meet (unlike most of the NZ based kiwis on this site who merely only want to see Australia lose when it's against New Zealand). It seems that they overcompensate for leaving by having a massive chip on their shoulder and taking delight at any time Australia loses anything. I doubt many would go unless they felt we were a chance of losing.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Met a few like that - Australia is so shit apparently. Except for the money you can earn.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
I don't think we should be looking to replace the Gold Coast with any one venue, rather we should be rotating these games through a series of smaller venues. If you're only getting a test once in a blue moon then it becomes a special event and hopefully draws in a decent crowd.

It could be shared between between places like Canberra, Newcastle, Adelaide, Gosford and the Gold Coast so that they're getting a game ever 4 or 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.