• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RL and RU

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rugbyrules

Hi I was just wondering if there are any fans of both codes of rugby like myself on these forums and what do other RU fans think of RL.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hi I was just wondering if there are any fans of both codes of rugby like myself on these forums and what do other RU fans think of RL.

I have always loved rugby. Used to very much enjoy league (80s until mid-90s). Went to lots of Broncos games when they came into the comp. Hell, even went to Brisbane RL GFs. Went to plenty of Origin's and test matches. Don't know why, but I just lost the love. I moved to the states around the time of the SL war and came back and all these no names were playing for Australia etc and getting paid plenty. At the same time S12 came along and it was great footy.

Then league just went sour. THe leaguies became really bitter. I assume it was around the time that rugby got really big 99-01 and we signed Dell etc.

Now I find it rather tedious. Even the Origins I find not of the same standard/intensity of 'back in the good old days'.

I think there is some great skill there, but that happens with a pretty simple game (ala soccer). If there's only one or two things to practise (passing and tackling), the skill efficiency is quiet high. Rugby, however, is a complicted game with many facets to it (think of a modern forward who must have basic catch and pass skills, and good fitness, but then needs superb strength as well as technical proficiency in the ruck, maul, scrum, tackle, lineout and kick off restarts and it doesn't leave much time to really perfect a particular skill.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I watch both but my like for League is not as big as it once was. Being a Parramatta fan I think is the cause of that. I find origin time a good chance to round up some blues supporters, chuck some bets on QLD and then restock the beer fridge as the cartons come rolling in. Rugby is by far the better game but the administration of rugby in this country is enough to drive one fucking mad.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
i absolutely hate mungoball, and think they should change their name as they hang off the back of the name of rugby. thieves and mercenaries and these days hypocrites. this most likely came about because of the arguments defending rugby against mungos on other forums that i was forced to do. i've also never played league. i used to support wests tigers when i was really little, but as i grew up i got bored of the game and the mungos slagging rugby.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I don't mind League, I'll watch a game if there is nothing else on. Same with AFL. Follow the Eagles a bit, although can't see them getting close to the title this year. Would have my money on a Roosters/Dragons final.

League can sometimes be very tedious but there have been a few entertaining games of late. Coming into finals as well it should get a bit more interesting.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I watched equal amounts of league and union growing up, though I preferred union. I supported Parramatta for the longest time and enjoyed both codes. That all started to change around the time of the Super League debacle. It tore the code apart and at around the same union became pro, so I got to see all my favourite players in rugby rather than being poached by the leagueies.

League has gone downhill in the last decade. The amount player related scandals around the game now leads me to think (rightly or wrongly) that it's a game played only by thugs and bogans.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I used to love watching the league, back in the sixties and seventies. I played both codes, growing up, like a lot of kids. There used to be real scrums, and a genuine contest for possession, at the play the ball. The game has been absolutely ruined by the constant push to make it more attractive to television audiences. It has been dumbed down, speeded up, and hyped to within an inch of its life.

Now I really cannot watch league for more than a couple of minutes. It just looks like a parody of rugby now, to me. Obviously it has a wide appeal in parts of Australia. And PNG. Some New Zealanders seem to like it, but I doubt that many would prefer it to rugby. And of course, a handful of people in the North of England. Otherwise, the world seems to prefer the original, and the best, real rugby.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
As a kid I always watched a bit of the Wallabies and a bit of the Origin series. The 2003 World Cup in Australia did it for me, however. Seeing Caucau score an amazing try sealed the deal. The international factor is a huge appeal of rugby.

I think AFL has more similarities with rugby anyway - constant contest for the ball, have to be very strong, fit, good with hands and feet. Alot more happens off the ball.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'll probably regret saying it, but I never paid attention to rugby until the 2007 RWC. For me, that was the kick off for a great passion for this sport. I had never stayed up late to watch sport until I watched us get knocked out by Wilko in the wee hours of the morning, but I still had an incredible appetite to learn and get involved.

I just find league boring. 5 tackles up the field then either:
  • Swing it wide
  • Bomb up
  • Grubber through
There are some fantastic athletes running around in league, but whenever I see a great league player I think "Whats this guy wasting his time in league for?"

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
sorry but i have to ask.

Why on earth is EVERY SINGLE kick-off in league right down into the corner? Why does no-one ever try and regather off a shallow one? Same with scrums, theyre so loose surely someone has once thought 'hang on, maybe if we actually push here we might get it'?

For the record I did enjoy it when I was younger, but now I'll only really watch it if there's nothing else on. Still more than can be said for soccer or AFL (although I believe I once watched a full game)

Thin Thighs

Ted Fahey (11)
I wonder if you are trolling, but here goes anyway....

The main reason that the AB's are any good is that RL is so popular in Australia.

While many of the mungoballers would be no good at rugby is that many of them have never had any genuine exposure to the game.
Can you imagine if there was no mungoball in the eastern states and we had 19 full time professional Rugby Union franchises - the NRL teams and the S14 RU teams?
How good would the wobbolies be?

Secondly, I get annoyed at the rubbish that the RL mungos constantly trot out about Rugby union and their uninformed view of the skills required. They claim that RL teaches kids to tackle properly. Absolute hogwash. NRL is about one player running into or 4 others who collectively stop and wrestle the ball carrier to the ground. Hardly a tackle. I very seldom see a genuine one on one tackle in RL at whatever level - kids league up to NRL. At most times in RL the one on one tackles are missed.

NRL tactics = count to five and kick the ball. One, two, three, four, five, kick. There are five fingers on your hand to help the mungoballers keep count!

The benefits of RL are that this sport keeps certain boganesque types away from Rugby, both players, parents and supporters.
Rugby players get fined for food fights, while RL players are regularly on the front pages for issues like defecating in public, glassing women, drunk driving, drunkenness, and more serious crimes.

RL would like to be thought of as the sport of the battler, the victim or the underprivileged. It helps their tribal marketing. They actually thrive in the inappropriate behaviour by their players. Free marketing. As long as they have most NRL games televised, this is free advertising. Everyone always talks about the drunkard uncle who turns up for the family christmas party and makes a complete twat of himself. The pleasant polite and well behaved moderately successful uncle rarely gets a second mention. The car smash syndrome.

There are very few RL players who are encouraged to further their education.
Despite Rugby joining RL as a professional sport in 1995, the players are still encouraged to study for a profession.

RL types claim Rugby is boring. These same people would claim that the card game "bridge" is boring, and would prefer "snap" because there is plenty of fast action in "snap". (also you do not need to think too much about snap). Same argument for Snooker vs Pool, Croquet vs Bowls, Chess vs checkers, etc.
How boring and repetitive is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, kick RL?

I actually prefer to watch Aerial Ping Pong (AFL) over Mungoball (NRL) on the TV anyday. Just do not let any of my mexican and western aus mates know this.

Really chalk and cheese.

Enough said.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Have a look on youtube for the same video but chopped out of the time they played it on The Footy Show. It's there, they weren't too enthusiastic about it.

R

rugbyrules

I wonder if you are trolling, but here goes anyway....

The main reason that the AB's are any good is that RL is so popular in Australia.

While many of the mungoballers would be no good at rugby is that many of them have never had any genuine exposure to the game.
Can you imagine if there was no mungoball in the eastern states and we had 19 full time professional Rugby Union franchises - the NRL teams and the S14 RU teams?
How good would the wobbolies be?

Secondly, I get annoyed at the rubbish that the RL mungos constantly trot out about Rugby union and their uninformed view of the skills required. They claim that RL teaches kids to tackle properly. Absolute hogwash. NRL is about one player running into or 4 others who collectively stop and wrestle the ball carrier to the ground. Hardly a tackle. I very seldom see a genuine one on one tackle in RL at whatever level - kids league up to NRL. At most times in RL the one on one tackles are missed.

NRL tactics = count to five and kick the ball. One, two, three, four, five, kick. There are five fingers on your hand to help the mungoballers keep count!

The benefits of RL are that this sport keeps certain boganesque types away from Rugby, both players, parents and supporters.
Rugby players get fined for food fights, while RL players are regularly on the front pages for issues like defecating in public, glassing women, drunk driving, drunkenness, and more serious crimes.

RL would like to be thought of as the sport of the battler, the victim or the underprivileged. It helps their tribal marketing. They actually thrive in the inappropriate behaviour by their players. Free marketing. As long as they have most NRL games televised, this is free advertising. Everyone always talks about the drunkard uncle who turns up for the family christmas party and makes a complete twat of himself. The pleasant polite and well behaved moderately successful uncle rarely gets a second mention. The car smash syndrome.

There are very few RL players who are encouraged to further their education.
Despite Rugby joining RL as a professional sport in 1995, the players are still encouraged to study for a profession.

RL types claim Rugby is boring. These same people would claim that the card game "bridge" is boring, and would prefer "snap" because there is plenty of fast action in "snap". (also you do not need to think too much about snap). Same argument for Snooker vs Pool, Croquet vs Bowls, Chess vs checkers, etc.
How boring and repetitive is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, kick RL?

I actually prefer to watch Aerial Ping Pong (AFL) over Mungoball (NRL) on the TV anyday. Just do not let any of my mexican and western aus mates know this.

Really chalk and cheese.

Enough said.

Not a troll just love both games but I must admit I do prefer RL as it was the game I was brought up with and also played a lot of RL in my past but I also like a good game of RU as well.

R

rugbyrules

I don't get this animosity towards RL from RU fans.
Likewise the other way round luckily I have friends who love both games and the teams I support are St.Helens RLFC and Sale Sharks RUFC.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.