• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rnd 17: Reds v Blues

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Not much meaning to QLD for this one but it is our last home game and, thus, the last chance to see Samu Kerevi and Scott Higginbotham run around in Red (I am assuming for Samu).

I'd be moving on from Matt McGahan and look for Hamish to start at 15 and Bryce back at 10. Probably start Mafi again at hooker.

Not much more we can do.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Big traditional rivalry with Auckland, two powerhouses unfortunately down on luck recently.

In the very least it should be a great game of running rugby, high scoring from both sides with QLD to win by 10+.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
In the very least it should be a great game of running rugby
Not so sure. Blues no longer play running rugby. Not this season. The expansive game is gone. They now play a tight possession-based game. And sadly, the POINT of all their possession is lost on the poor dear wee souls. They just like having the ball but haven't worked out what to do with it yet.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Not so sure. Blues no longer play running rugby. Not this season. The expansive game is gone. They now play a tight possession-based game. And sadly, the POINT of all their possession is lost on the poor dear wee souls. They just like having the ball but haven't worked out what to do with it yet.

Ha ha, I'm sure the boys will put on a display!

It seems no one is interested in this clash of the titanscellar dwellers, I however am excited and will be channelling Ballymore 1996 and hope the vibes from the Hill that night will the inspire the boys for a big win. Love a see an ala Tuney try from wee Jock.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
St.George Queensland Reds v Blues – Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane on June 7 at 7:45pm AEST

1. JP Smith – GPS
2. Alex Mafi – Bond University
3. Taniela Tupou – Brothers
4. Izack Rodda – Easts
5. Angus Blyth – Bond University
6. Angus Scott-Young – University of Queensland
7. Liam Wright – Easts
8. Scott Higginbotham – Wests
9. Scott Malolua – Souths*
10. Matt McGahan – Norths
11. Filipo Daugunu – Wests
12. Samu Kerevi – Souths (c)
13. Chris Feauai-Sautia – Souths
14. Jock Campbell – University of Queensland
15. Bryce Hegarty – GPS

16. Brandon Paenga-Amosa – Sunnybank
17. Ruan Smith – GPS
18. Gav Luka – Bond University
19. Harry Hockings – University of Queensland
20. Adam Korczyk – University of Queensland
21. Moses Sorovi – Wests
22. Duncan Paia’aua – Norths
23. Hamish Stewart – Bond University

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
How come Morovi's not starting? Also wonder why DP is on the bench, given they relocated Seb Wileman up, or has he gone back south?

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
How come Morovi's not starting? Also wonder why DP is on the bench, given they relocated Seb Wileman up, or has he gone back south?
Apparently they want to see Malolua in game time with the possibility of signing him for next year, concerns regarding whether Tuttle will be back and ideally want 3 signed 9s .

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Would rather Stewart starting @ 15 but recognise they want to give McGahan a good hit up & we want the maturity of (the galloper!) Hegarty out the back - I hope he improves his out of hand kicking game this week ;)

Surprised Moses not starting half back.

This will be the week the backs wreak havoc! I think Jock has come on well, when we get Hardy back we're going to have some tasty depth out wide.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Blues

1 Alex Hodgman, 2 James Parsons, 3 Ofa Tuungafasi, 4 Gerard Cowley-Tuioti, 5 Scott Scrafton, 6 Dalton Papalii, 7 Blake Gibson (c), 8 Akira Ioane; 9 Augustine Pulu, 10 Otere Black, 11 Tanielu Tele’a, 12 Ma’a Nonu, 13 TJ Faiane, 14 Matt Duffie, 15 Melani Nanai.

Reserves:
16 Leni Apisai, 17 Marcel Renata, 18 Lua Li, 19 Tom Robinson, 20 Josh Goodhue, 21 Jonathan Ruru, 22 Harry Plummer, 23 Levi Aumua.
Rieko and Pat T with scheduled AB rests.

Handbrake Pulu and Otere The Hopeless starting.

giphy.gif

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Blues

1 Alex Hodgman, 2 James Parsons, 3 Ofa Tuungafasi, 4 Gerard Cowley-Tuioti, 5 Scott Scrafton, 6 Dalton Papalii, 7 Blake Gibson (c), 8 Akira Ioane; 9 Augustine Pulu, 10 Otere Black, 11 Tanielu Tele’a, 12 Ma’a Nonu, 13 TJ Faiane, 14 Matt Duffie, 15 Melani Nanai.

Reserves:
16 Leni Apisai, 17 Marcel Renata, 18 Lua Li, 19 Tom Robinson, 20 Josh Goodhue, 21 Jonathan Ruru, 22 Harry Plummer, 23 Levi Aumua.
Rieko and Pat T with scheduled AB rests.

Handbrake Pulu and Otere The Hopeless starting.

DP, can you let us know how McGahan went for the Blues back when he played there?

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
DP, can you let us know how McGahan went for the Blues back when he played there?

He had some hype on him as he was in a strong school team in Auckland before going to Melbourne Storm. Didn't really offer much for the Blues or Harbour (Mitre 10 Cup) I must say. Played as much if not more 15 than 10 if I remember correctly but was pretty much in the 'journeyman' category.

Former Blues have a long history of playing well against their old team though so I expect a blinder of a performance on Friday!