• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Robbie Deans is rugby's Kenny Dalgleish

Status
Not open for further replies.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Just got back from my brothers wedding in London & with my father being from Liverpool the family has a few Everton & liverpool football (soccer) supporters so there was a few interesting conversations & most were about Kenny Dalgleish the former Liverpool head coach & the similarities between Deans & Dalgleish is really scary.

In the eyes of Liverpool supporters here are the reasons that Dalgleish got the chop.

1. They finished below Everton on the table. (ok irrelevant)
2. Didn't know when to use his bench.
3. Strange team selections & bad transfers.
4. Didn't believe in structure or game plans. His words are just play football they're professional players & they know what to do.

The last three were brilliant with reference to Robbie Deans I couldn't believe my ears & then to top it off he also has really weird responses to commentators.

The major difference between Deans & Dalgleish now is that Dalgleish is unemployed.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Would agree with that in regards to Dalglish's 2nd stint as Liverpool boss, but obviously not his 1st.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
It could be argued that Dalglish inherited a pretty strong team in his first coaching stint as player manager, hence they didn't need so much direction/structure and could....play what was in front of them. A little bit like the Crusaders.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
It could be argued that Dalglish inherited a pretty strong team in his first coaching stint as player manager, hence they didn't need so much direction/structure and could..play what was in front of them. A little bit like the Crusaders.
Sorry, but that is bullshit.The Saders were great on the counter and won quite a few games on the back of that. But there was plenty of structure in their game apart from that.
You can't seriously suggest that all the AB tight 5's that also played at the Saders played with no structure.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Would agree with that in regards to Dalglish's 2nd stint as Liverpool boss, but obviously not his 1st.

I was going to say the same thing. Liverpool under him in the 80's were a mighty team, winning the 1st Div title three times. He then won another with Blackburn. He's no mug.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Sorry, but that is bullshit.The Saders were great on the counter and won quite a few games on the back of that. But there was plenty of structure in their game apart from that.
You can't seriously suggest that all the AB tight 5's that also played at the Saders played with no structure.

But that's exactly what's so weird about Robbie's time in Australia. They don't play ANYTHING like the Crusaders. I was all for Robbie's appointment because I thought we'd see some of that stuff, but instead of a superstar team we've got a team of superstars. I mean, picking people like Timani shows that he's looking for those x-factor players that is more suggestive of the Blues than the Crusaders.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)

I'll try to be clearer - both coaches were fortunate to inherit champion teams. Those teams already had the fundamental structures required of them pretty much set, so the coaches did not need to implement them. To some extent, they could let the rest take care of itself. With Liverpool 2011-12 and the Wallabies of late, there was not a champion team already in place, therefore much there was (is) much more coaching required.

Status
Not open for further replies.