• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Robot Scrum Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougdew99

Allen Oxlade (6)
Do we have the technology to build a robot scrum simulator that can emulate the forces and movements of an opposing scrum? I guess it is technologically feasible... hopefully mad scientists deep in the basement laboratories at AIS are working on this as we speak... this could be our secret weapon for the World Cup... dial in "Packing down against England on a wet surface with Sheridan in a bad mood" and away we go... after all they can simulate a 747 in a snow storm... this should be a piece of cake

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Do we have the technology to build a robot scrum simulator that can emulate the forces and movements of an opposing scrum? I guess it is technologically feasible... hopefully mad scientists deep in the basement laboratories at AIS are working on this as we speak... this could be our secret weapon for the World Cup... dial in "Packing down against England on a wet surface with Sheridan in a bad mood" and away we go... after all they can simulate a 747 in a snow storm... this should be a piece of cake

Technology - yes. Money - not even close.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I'm not sure the simulation would be so hard, thinking about it. You have three rectangular planes, representing front rowers, able to apply force forwards, and for 360 degrees about a central axis. You would need three pistons, and a rose joint or similar behind each 'front rower'. A consumer version would admittedly be very expensive, but a functional prototype could be whipped up by an engineering workshop or engineering faculty in short order.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I like Tom's wikipedia page.

The little brother of Ed Carter, he's seen to many as the least talented of the Carter boys.

dougdew99

Allen Oxlade (6)
Australia is a leader in computer games software... these guys can supply the software expertise...

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Or we could just get all the best coaches and practitioners together to practice real opposed scrummaging on a regular basis.

Reactions: DPK

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I like Tom's wikipedia page.

The little brother of Ed Carter, he's seen to many as the least talented of the Carter boys.

Unfair. This guy sucked more.

images

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I think we should make robots to scrum for us, who cares about practicing. Just add a fat skin layer around a titanium skeleton, with built in rocker launchers and England has no chance then...not that they have a chance tonight.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Tommy Carter loves nothing more than a session on the MyoTruk

Thanks for the plug, Scarfie. Tommy has been working out on MyoQuip equipment since we tested our first prototype, "The Green Monster". Five years ago he did four reps in strict form with a load of 400kg on the ScrumTruk which was the precursor to the MyoTruk. No one else has ever come close to that effort.

By comparison to what you are asking for, doug, putting a man on the moon was a doddle. I mean that seriously. The number of interacting variables would tax the capacity of any super computer.

And as for "mad scientists deep in the basement laboratories at AIS", I'm not aware of any invention that has come from that source.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think we should make robots to scrum for us, who cares about practicing. Just add a fat skin layer around a titanium skeleton, with built in rocker launchers and England has no chance then...not that they have a chance tonight.

Eat your words, son.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
If only there were a man who could combine the practical experience of playing hooker at international level with a theoretical understanding of and passion for robotics and mechanisation.

If this mad scientist could also have one of the most righteous afros to ever grace the International rugby circuit, that would be even better.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
If only there were a man who could combine the practical experience of playing hooker at international level with a theoretical understanding of and passion for robotics and mechanisation.

If this mad scientist could also have one of the most righteous afros to ever grace the International rugby circuit, that would be even better.

Aw, gee, where would we find one of those?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Yep, I reckon Tatafu needs to chat to the boffins at MyoQuip to see if they can't invent a better scrum machine.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
I used to use the ScrumTruk a bit in my days at Uni. I was never game to try anything much over 300kg as a front rower. A back hefting 400kgs? No wonder Chariots is so lightning fast and good looking! But seriously it is a bloody good machine and a secret weapon in the Uni arsenal.

I would love to see TPN working with MyoQuip on a rugby robot. It could speak Japanese and Tongan, too. And fearlessly hurl itself at opponents regardless of size, momentum or reputation like an exploding harpoon. At the same time it would need the dexterity and mobility of an inside back. If we gave it an adamantium exoskeleton it would be unstoppable. Basically we want Taf and Wolverine to have babies. Then we'll show those ABs/Poms/The Establishment.

W

WB3

I would love to see TPN working with MyoQuip on a rugby robot. It could speak Japanese and Tongan, too. And fearlessly hurl itself at opponents regardless of size, momentum or reputation like an exploding harpoon. At the same time it would need the dexterity and mobility of an inside back. If we gave it an adamantium exoskeleton it would be unstoppable. Basically we want Taf and Wolverine to have babies. Then we'll show those ABs/Poms/The Establishment.

And then QC (Quade Cooper) can practice his tackling on it every single day...

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Thanks for the plug, Scarfie. Tommy has been working out on MyoQuip equipment since we tested our first prototype, "The Green Monster". Five years ago he did four reps in strict form with a load of 400kg on the ScrumTruk which was the precursor to the MyoTruk. No one else has ever come close to that effort.

By comparison to what you are asking for, doug, putting a man on the moon was a doddle. I mean that seriously. The number of interacting variables would tax the capacity of any super computer.

And as for "mad scientists deep in the basement laboratories at AIS", I'm not aware of any invention that has come from that source.

Bruce, leaving aside the "Packing down against England on a wet surface with Sheridan in a bad mood" options, from an engineering perspective what is being suggested bears a close resemblance to the problems addressed by flight simulators, or advanced driving simulators, and probably presents a similar level of difficulty.

The way a flight simulator basically works is to provide linear, angular and rotational acceleration across the surface a plane (meaning a flat surface, not an aircraft). Typically they consist of two thrust plates: a driving surface and a driven surface. The driving surface is powered by a number of pistons to provide linear acceleration, which can be rotated about its central axis, providing rotational acceleration. The cockpit is mounted on the driven surface. The driven surface is connected to the driving surface using a three-dimensional joint and is powered by a series of pistons, to provide angular acceleration.

That would cater for the front row as a single plane. A more sophisticated version would consist of three such planes.

That may sound very complex but it is a kind of problem that has been solved before. I'm confident an engineering school could whip up a (basic) machine of this kind: it's the kind of project they set engineering students.

You should talk with your Uni contacts. :)

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
...That would cater for the front row as a single plane. A more sophisticated version would consist of three such planes...

But whilst a front-rower may be exerting all his influence through his shoulders and bind, he is pivoting not only through the line of his shoulders, but also his spine, hips and knees - I think that's where super-computer complexity that Bruce refers to comes in. Just as importantly, the opposing front-rower is continuously reacting to the forces exerted on him to gain an edge - could a robot replicate that element? Of course, in Kiwi mode, the robot would need an extra piston to replicate the Myth's hand on the deck tactic.

Anyway, from what I saw on the weekend, what we need is a robotic breakdown simulator more than a scrum simulator.

Status
Not open for further replies.