• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rod Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
What do people make of this guy? I was having a discussion with my dad about him and we're of the opinion that he's not bad and an excellent finisher but not really that much of a footballer. A lot of people have mentioned him as being a candidate for Australia A honours or training squads for the Wallabies however I think I don't think he really has what it takes for these levels. Give me Morahan any day of the week, Davies doesn't have all that much on him in pace, he can finish and is a much better footballer. Not sure why Davies has been starting over him.

Edit: please remember to add a message icon. Cheers, Scarf.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I don't think either are proven footballers yet, nor could they be.

Morahan had a great day against the Chiefs but needs a lot more footie before he can be assessed properly, especially when robust play is needed. If we assume that he is going to make it as an attacking player we still haven't seen his defence tested much - or at least Sydney-siders haven't.

Davies had his union career interrupted by a stint in league. His qualities as a finisher look terrific, but his defence is not as good. He is not the first guy to look like a boy by the man Rene Ranger, but a couple of his efforts were less that brave. Perhaps that's why he didn't make it in league. I don't know. I look forward to his proving me wrong.

Not to the point but I am not convinced yet about the defence of A. Finger. IIRR there's been a few times he has got just arms on players and sometimes not even that. Let's watch that space; I could be quite wrong.

Cyril Towers (30)
He was certainly a fantastic counter attacking fullback when he played Aus Schools in 06. His stint in league was only 1 year in 07 so wasn't really enough to influence him. He is still only 21 and looks pretty good to me. Spots a hole and hits it hard and backs up the half break.

runsonrum

Allen Oxlade (6)
Davies played Australian Schools, he played Australia U/20's and McKenzie also thinks enough of him to have him in the starting side (over Morahan) and he has certainly shown enough this year to say that he suits the Reds style of play, he can absolutley motor!

Last year, there were question marks over his involvement other than that of a speed bump, his defence came under fire and so did his size. But then again, who in the reds didn't come under fire last year?!?!?

Over the course of the off-season he has bulked up without losing speed and he doesn't look like he is caught in headlights any longer.

He isn't 21 yet and I think he could be in the mix for Australia A honours, I think he could tear up 7's too.

I am not an unabashed fan of Davies,...yet. He is well down the pecking order of wingers in my opinion, another 10cm and another 10kg would be good.

Give him some time to mature (both physically and mentally) before you right him off. Especially if Hynes is not around next year, the Reds may need both Davies and Morahan.

Neither Davies nor Morahan have been lost playing for the Reds, both have had "moments to shine", so if McKenzie is comfortable with Davies there, there must be a reason why.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
topo said:
He was certainly a fantastic counter attacking fullback when he played Aus Schools in 06. His stint in league was only 1 year in 07 so wasn't really enough to influence him. He is still only 21 and looks pretty good to me. Spots a hole and hits it hard and backs up the half break.

pretty sure it was 2 years wasn't it?

T

tranquility

Rod Davies is far more than a 'finisher'. Rod was a schoolboy prodigy at IPS, and is a very adept counter attacking fullback as mentioned previously. He was actually at the broncos for two years, however was consistently injured and got lost in the system. His defense is woeful - I would say worse than Quade and that is his achilles heal as it stands. However he has a football brain and understands running into space and reads the game very well.

I am a massive Morahan fan as well and would love to see them as a wing pair with Digby at 13. That would be electric. However he is not without his faults either. Morahan is a taller more robust player and his technically sound in defense - however he does not read the game as well as Rod and gets found out of position more than he would like (both at wing and especially fullback). He is also a very unnatural passing player, a problem Rod does not have.

In terms of there development I would say they are about even as all round wingers at the moment, you can take whatever you want from that when you consider that Morahan is a year younger. However both have alot of improvement in there games. In my opinion Rod at the moment is a far better finisher - and talking speed in a straight 100m race Davies would put 10m on Luke.

From memory Rod runs about a 10.5 over 100m - thats electric timing too, by the way (which is about 10.1 hand time).

Cyril Towers (30)
Noddy said:
topo said:

pretty sure it was 2 years wasn't it?
Fair play, Noddy. 2 years it was. Unfortunately at my age a year here or there doesn't mean much. ;)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I have no qualms about the attacking abilities of Davies and Morahan; nor any problem with them being used by the Reds; you have to give talent a shot and not keep them waiting too long unless they are straight out of school.

I saw both of them at school too. They still have to show a bit more of creating rather than just finishing things but you would say that about any outside back of their age. Some older outside backs have never taken that step.

I just think that when assessing players we should look at the other half of the game: the half when the other team has the ball: the more difficult to learn and less instinctive half. How do they play then - or at least - what is their progress in that area?

As I always say about young players, especially - watch this space.

Edit - PS good post tranqiility. Interesting to a Sydney-sider.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
No one has ever questioned his attacking skills, but last year his defense was very average, that is/was his issue

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
Davies is starting ahead of Mozz because Davies is off contract at the end of the season and Mozz isn't perhaps?

D

Doc

Last year I couldn't figure out why we paid him a cent. This year I've rated him in the top 5 players each game he has played. To quote a qru staffer, "He seems to have had a head transplant"

S

Spook

Biffo said:
Should he play THP or LHP? **

** Lee Grant will know the point of this question.

Coz other reds will start on the wings for the Ws and they need to find room for him? :thumb

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
What Australia needs is a pool of winger with real gas, regardless of their current shortcomings. In a season or two the quality will rise to the top. I can envisage both Davies and Morahan starting for the Wallabies, and terrorising oppositions, a la Roff and Tune. Good on Queesland for giving them a shot.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I dunno, I guess I just see that Morahan has more potential than Davies. I could really see Morahan on the wing for Aus. QLD is pretty spoiled for developing talent at the moment.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
morahan i can see in a wallabies jersey. Loads of potential. Davies im not so sure. I do love a guy with pace and hope he starts regularly for the reds but if pace is what u want in a winger i think id rather go for fainifo from the brumbies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Seb V said:
morahan i can see in a wallabies jersey. Loads of potential. Davies im not so sure. I do love a guy with pace and hope he starts regularly for the reds but if pace is what u want in a winger i think id rather go for fainifo from the brumbies.

I'm a Brumbies fan but Davies is palpably faster than Fainofo.

Status
Not open for further replies.