• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 1 - Brumbies v Rebels - Fri 15th@7:45pm

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Thought Quade and Lilo went really well. Which is very. fucking. good. news. Foley needs competition, badly. Now to see what Stewart has.

Surprised the Rebels pack held up so well, thought the Brumbies would monster them. Brumbies were very average.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Great game to open the Aus Conference, impressive.

Brumbies have a few that don’t look up to it anymore... Sam Carter, Christian Lealiifano and Josh Man Rea look past it

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Woo hoo

Brumbies line out cost them the game.

Rebels pack did ok, Jones will benefit from this and those runs will have more impact in the next few weeks.

Maddox 2nd try was awesome

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Good game I thought, some mistakes, but generally a good first up match. Rebel's forwards went better than I thought, and I know a lot of fans that I see at Suncorp most weeks would of liked to see a performance by a 10, for their team!

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
Brumbies lost that in the lineout in the second half. Every time they finally got into the Rebels half they were picked off.

McCaffrey has a very good game as did Samu in the second half. The Rebels were constantly interfering with the half back in the ruck which caused some of Powell’s problems I think.

Rebels forwards very good in the lineout and good around the field but rubbish in the scrum.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Great game to open the Aus Conference, impressive.

Brumbies have a few that don’t look up to it anymore. Sam Carter, Christian Lealiifano and Josh Man Rea look past it

Nonsense on the first two. Carter and Lea looking good, I think. Brumbies looked to need more fitness and lost a couple of big hitters early. They'll be back.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well for me - how frigging good was genia! gees ask me few years ago if I thought he was a super star I would have asked you if you have rocks in your head.

English and Meakes….players whose starting position under threat read To'omua and Hodge to return...but gees they just display regardless of what plays out there how much depth Rebels have there...but special call out to English as don't think test quality but super rugby quality for sure and what I love is how much consistency in performance you get out of him (and why always contract renewals absolute no brainer).

Not sure how much I have enjoyed that for missing my rugby vs quality of rugby...give me a few days......

Reactions: dru

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Rebels if they can sort that scrum will be a very good team. Sa’aga and big Sam need to start when they are both fit, it’s plain dumb to ignore the deficiencies of the current front row. Philip and Jones completely outshone a good pair on the other side, with Jones back surely Simmons days are numbered.

Brums fans, I saw enough in the team to see they will be there abouts come season end. I’d be looking at JJH or Hawera at 12 instead of Simone.

Going to be a cracking year.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Rebels if they can sort that scrum will be a very good team. Sa’aga and big Sam need to start when they are both fit, it’s plain dumb to ignore the deficiencies of the current front row. Philip and Jones completely outshone a good pair on the other side, with Jones back surely Simmons days are numbered.

Brums fans, I saw enough in the team to see they will be there abouts come season end. I’d be looking at JJH or Hawera at 12 instead of Simone.

Going to be a cracking year.
Simone was ok besides that one fuck up.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Interesting point about Simone..I did not have a view for the game as did not sight him much which could be a conclusion in itself. But yes Simone since breakout NRC year been a disappointment as I really do remember what a talent he was back then but yes not kicked on...but equally with Wright and JJH in the background other players ready to pounce and from what I have seen any of these 3 have potential to be the next super star which makes it interesting. Read Wright in NRL and school boy days been impressive and JJH had very good NRC....

Stay tuned

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Good game to kick off the season. Brumbies early domination in the scrum fell away, then the line out failed which cost them dearly. Loss of Pocock didn’t help, but Samu stepped up. Rebels halves got the upper hand and they got the biscuits. I think the conference race will be very close because if the Reds pack dominates like I expect them ti and the Waratahs backs can click

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Christian's last year one would suspect....

Carter gone next year...

Pocock off for another HIA - sadly I suspect with all the HIA's / neck problems I suspect he will not be in Australian Rugby next year...

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Brumbies injury update :

Pocock failed HIA to be assessed
Speight with a hip pointer injury
Pulu with a suspected fractured cheek bone

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Nonsense on the first two. Carter and Lea looking good, I think. Brumbies looked to need more fitness and lost a couple of big hitters early. They'll be back.

Carter is a workhorse but has no impact. I have higher standards for a flyhalf with 10+ years under his belt. Didn’t control the game enough,Quade made him look very out of his depth.

Reactions: dru

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Agreed about JJH instead of Simone. Thought Simone was rather anonymous. I'd be pretty pleased if I were a Brumbies fan. Lineouts can be shored up relatively quickly and it looks like TK and Speight have decided to turn up which is great. Was Speight subbed off because of an injury? I thought he was deadly every time with the ball. How fantastic was it to be able to sub on Sio after Slipper, that's scary.

I know it wasn't a direct match up, but I thought Maddocks definitely had the wood over Banks tonight for all those keeping score in the "which youngster for Wobs supersub" race.

For the Rebels I thought Genia and Isi had the start of a great combination. Really worked well off each other. Scrum was absolutely shocking, I just feel bad for the front row, when it's so blindingly obvious they're so poor compared to the rest. Rebels conceded 11 penalties to the Brumbies' 6 and still looked dominant in the 2nd half. Imagine how the Rebels would go with a semi decent scrum.

Positive signs for both teams and fantastic to have rugby back.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
On Quade....mixed in defence which always been big issue for Quade as reputation for his turnstyle defence but in fairness would not say latter was what he displayed but rather like said 'mixed' and 'reserve judgement'

I personally think Thorn dumping Quade could be best thing for his career if he still has the fire...as part of me does wonder he became a little complacent at the Reds....and needed the reality check to rekickstart his pro rugby career and status as playmaker vs media maker.....